The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

"reg, that approach sounds a lot like the chord/scale approach, which i am beginning to warm up to much more (i.e. even though we're in A minor, over a Dm9 i should be thinking "D Dorian" and not "A minor"). i like the idea of the key telling me what i'm "allowed" to play, and the chord telling me what i "should" be playing. am i on the same page as you?"

Hey Peter... yes in one respect... so chord scale theory is just a guide line of standard Jazz common practice Chord and scale relationships... from standard jazz analysis. And yes once you choose an analysis, how the chords are labeled in a chord progression, there are chord scales that represent that analysis, usually a few choices for most chords.

So that is still generally One tonal reference, one tonal center, and if the tonal center or key modulates the analysis reflects that modulation... So Tonal targets is choosing to have more layers of harmonic organizing going on in that one tonal center or key from an analysis. What that does is give you more jazz like harmonic options of what to use as reference when creating relationships, (soloing).

I hear you somewhat using the technique in your example of Spain... over some of the changes... you would play some pattern like licks. Licks generally imply a harmonic reference. When you play a rockish lick, and then extend the idea from that lick... your creating a Tonal target within a previously implied Key area or key center.

So chord scale is a method of defining labels within a tonal center... Tonal Targets is a method of defining different tonal centers within that previously define key area. Your adding more layers to pull from when you solo or comp.

Look most have a difficult enough time get being able to play through Jazz tunes.... anyway they can get through the tune... I can hear your struggles playing through Spain and it's a harminically fairly straight ahead tune. Your playing sounds great and I was diggin it... but like you said... how many times did you need to practice the tune before you could begin to comfortably perform...

As was posted above you can work on tunes like Stella for... I don't know... a while, and begin to get it together and in a year or two get 100, maybe 200 tunes under your belt. Generally most enjoy the process, and you'll improve. But if you want to be able to play tunes the 1st time through.... you need to understand what your doing. Most don't have the time, the energy, or the want to develop the skills. It's a commitment that most just can't make.

Hows your comping through Spain... if your going to play jazz tunes, even fusion style.... you need to be able to comp, and not just straight changes...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can talk about the theory as much as you like, but to get fluent over this or any chord progression you need to drill yourself.

This is what I do. Could be a song or just a four bar tricky corner.

Take a simple idea - for example just minor seventh chord tones and repeat the exercise in all positions out of time so I get used to where everything is. Then, stick on a metronome and do it in 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/2s whatever you like. All positions.

This doesn't need to go on for ages, 5m daily ought to do it.

When I have chord tones down, I progress to extensions and/or scales, patterns or anything else that grabs my fancy. Any material from this forum will do. Most of my material is either simple scales, chord tones or stuff of records.

These days I'm into enclosures and melodic minor to death over all minors, m7b5's and dominants. I'm also making a list of my favourite licks so I can develop them more fully.

But frankly, it could be anything. There's never a shortage of stuff to play. Just look at this forum, the challenge is to select something specific and really work on it.

I like to sing stuff too.

Do it out of time to make the ear/brain/fingers connection, and then in time once you have mastered this.

I advocate practicing improvising slowly at all stages, in 1/8s at a metronome click of around 60-80. Spend a good 10m at least. It will do your head in as we say in the UK :-)

Obv at some point, different keys.

When I sit down and do this, it really helps me. I try to do this for everything I have to solo on. The aim is total freedom and no thinking in performance. Practice and performance are completely different things.

I try to keep a notebook with me on gigs and rehearsals where I write down sticking points.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-01-2015 at 10:56 PM.