The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

A lot of my favorites would be included on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue

I tend to see some solos as great on there own, but other are just greater when put in the context of the whole. And all of the work from both Coltrane and Cannonball, within the context of playing off each other and the rest of the band, just floor me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would have included the Paul Gonsalves solo in Diminuendo in Blue with Duke Ellington at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival. While others may be better musically, technically, or in other ways, I will argue that none had a bigger impact on a group of musicians. At that time there had been a significant decrease in the demand for Duke and his music to the point that they weren't getting enough gigs to cover their costs. Then, Paul Gonsalves starts to play, and 27 choruses later when all was said and done the crowd was going wild, and the Ellington band was in demand again.

Duke Ellington - Diminuendo in Blue:
    Last edited by snoskier63; 10-18-2014 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I would have included the Paul Gonsalves solo in Diminuendo in Blue with Duke Ellington at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival. While others may be better musically, technically, or in other ways, I will argue that none had a bigger impact on a group of musicians. At that time there had been a significant decrease in the demand for Duke and his music to the point that they weren't getting enough gigs to cover their costs. Then, Paul Gonsalves starts to play, and 27 choruses later when all was said and done the crowd was going wild, and the Ellington band was in demand again.

Duke Ellington - Diminuendo in Blue:
    I love that solo. I used to work nights and listened to "China's Jazz Thing" on the radio from midnight until 5:30. He (China Valles) often opened his show with the recording. It's great to hear how the audience (and Paul's bandmates) respond to that solo as it unfolds. Talk about a hoot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Kenny....?
    I thought the same thing, I always thought I was listening to the little giant, Johnny Griffin.... I have the an extended album version that includes some live versions, including some extended "a cappella" playing from Griff. It's pretty amazing. Shame he never got perceived as anything more than a shredder, his speed seemed to get noticed more than his substance,,,