The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

I definitely have a bit of an addiction when it comes to buying jazz guitar books...but oh well. Anyway I'm looking for some new book suggestions. I'd like something that deals with more advanced topics instead of any beginner's introduction material. There are tons of great books out there that introduce guitarists to the basics but I'd like to avoid them.

Can anybody throw me some recommendations?

Some books that I already have:

The Advancing Guitarist
    Sheets of Sound Vol. 1
    Garrison Fewell's Melodic & Harmonic Approach
    Jazz Guitar Etudes by Greg Fishman
    Pat Metheny's Warmup Etudes
    Drop 2 Voicings by R. Vincent
    Voice Leading by J. Thomas
    Walt Weiskopf's Diminished & Augmented Scale
    Linear Expressions
    Galbraith's Comping & Daily Exercises
    Andrew Green's Structures & Techniques
    Intervallic Designs by Joe Diorio
    Chord Khancepts
    Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improv by Jon Damian
    Last edited by bluewaterpig; 04-12-2014 at 08:42 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Grab some of Jerry Bergonzi's books -- advanced jazz, and you can play it on guitar.

try Jazz Pentatonics by Bruce Saunders. Excellent book, better than Pentatonic Khancepts, IMO.

User Info Menu

Have you considered overcoming this addiction? That's a lot of books you've got there - likely more than the number any of the greats studied. Have you really milked your current books? I struggle to see how another book is going to help you play better unless you're already pro-level...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Have you considered overcoming this addiction? That's a lot of books you've got there - likely more than the number any of the greats studied. Have you really milked your current books? I struggle to see how another book is going to help you play better unless you're already pro-level...
    Ha! You're right, Vinny. I always say if I take any one of my books and seriously work all the way through it, I'd probably improve 100-fold.

The first step is admitting you have an addiction ....

User Info Menu

I've attached some pics of a few I'd recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-image-jpg Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-image-jpg Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Just my 2 cents. Books are nice, and I enjoy reading theory. But, what I find as I continue along, is that the ear is quicker than the eye. Which is to say that as your skills evolve, you find that the ear comprehends jazz on a level that supersedes the visual.

User Info Menu

all Pat Martino's books and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny

I definitely do have an addiction like I said. I'm not searching for a book to find some holy grail for myself, I just enjoy having a large library for teaching purposes. When I put together a college course curriculum at a 100 page min., it's great having a wealth of resources.

Targuit, I agree 1000%. I teach ear training 3 & 4 and advanced ET. The most important and essential tool that any jazz musician has is their ear in my opinion.

Great suggestions, keep them coming.
    Last edited by bluewaterpig; 04-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Well then, I'd suggest perhaps the Mike Steinel "Building a Jazz Vocabulary" or Tony DeCaprio "Gateway to Guitar Improvisation" books, which are both more a methodology than a source of information, to perhaps help inform your proposed curriculum and to offer something different than your current books.

But keep in mind that I'm just an intermediate jazz guitarist and I have not worked through any of the books in your list.

User Info Menu

My rule on books is if I can learn one important thing that is actually incorporated into my playing, that book will have been a worthwhile purchase. Using this criteria, you may also consider online masterclasses as well. I've really incorporated some great ideas from Sid Jacobs stuff. Do you have his Mel Bay book in licks?

User Info Menu

I really this book (link below). I think this will give you some additional info. I've just gone through about a third of it, the chord progression part. Great voicings, rhythms and progressions. Very well organized too. And these 'blues' jazz progressions work in a lot of places beyond the blues. Check out the look inside feature.

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-presents-M...with+the+blues

User Info Menu

I love the bill mccormick books.

Bill McCormick | mPub | books

There is a lifetime of comping stuff to be found in those books. My favorite is
    Rhythm Changes Pickstyle Guitar Accompaniment Vol 1 – All Keys

these aren't "method" books, but rather comping studies that get you from traditional FG voicings to way out stuff.

User Info Menu

George Garzone has a theory of chromatic triadic linear melody. It's great stuff if you have the discipline to really get inside it (ain't it the case with all this stuff?) Rather than a book, he's got a DVD but you can find the gist of it in some YouTube videos. I posted one a little while back so I won't repeat, but watching him, you can see the results. Listening to his explanation, you can see the reasoning behind it. Reflecting on it, you realize "I can do this if I devote the time to it" and there's the rub.
    As far as a book that'll blow your mind, Goodrick's Voice Leading third volume is the holy grail of "goldmine on a shelf" books. No nonsense. No handholding. Nothing left out. Just a warning that you can seriously damage your hands if you don't watch yourself and mind bending harmonies. Not even a hint as to how you use it.
    For those that seriously want to find something new, this is the map of how to get to the mine. That's why 99% of the owners have it on their shelf, and have the rowing machine in the closet.
    A lot of the advanced stuff though, is nice to have on the shelf because it takes real inspiration to tackle it, but when it comes, it's right there and there's no excuse of needing to get it.

Put Jon Damian's chord factory on the shelf. Yes good theoretical basis but most importantly, some ways of looking at it from different ways that will spark your imagination, and challenge your abilities. You can take it down when you're ready and it will reward you.

David
    Last edited by TH; 04-15-2014 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Ted Greenes books are still relevant I think

Chord Chemistry
    Jazz single note soloing 1 & 2

User Info Menu

There's an Ari Hoenig DVD/book on rhythm that is really good!

Jens

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    As far as a book that'll blow your mind, Goodrick's Voice Leading third volume is the holy grail of "goldmine on a shelf" books.

Any idea where to get it? Looks very interesting.

Fep, very cool book. I always bypassed it on search results but it looks great upon further inspection. I think there are tons of guitarists stuck on the bridge between blues and jazz.

User Info Menu

There has just been published a book with tons of bebop licks from BopLand.org. Here's the link to Amazon product page. I would not recommend this book for beginners as all the licks are in standard notation. On the other hand this is a first publication of this scope covering a number of must known jazz tunes in all keys and time signatures like 3/4 and 5/4. Attached is a couple of scans from this volume.

Best,
    __aux
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-treble_clef_licks-2-overview-jpg Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-treble_clef_licks-3-contents-jpg Good Books for Advanced Jazz Guitar Players-treble_clef_licks-4-2-5-1-jpg 
    Last edited by __aux; 04-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't say enough about "The Barry Harris Harmonic Method for Guitar". It is helping me tremendously. I am finally beginning to hear and play harmony as a dynamic element of music.

User Info Menu

Talk Jazz by Roni Ben-Hur
    Line Games by Randy Vincent
    Modern Chords by Vic Juris
    Mel Bay's Complete Book of Jazz Guitar Lines and Phrases by Sid Jacobs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    Ted Greenes books are still relevant I think

Chord Chemistry
    Jazz single note soloing 1 & 2
    Seconded. Also Modern Chord Progressions, the counterpart to Chord Chemistry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Just my 2 cents. Books are nice, and I enjoy reading theory. But, what I find as I continue along, is that the ear is quicker than the eye. Which is to say that as your skills evolve, you find that the ear comprehends jazz on a level that supersedes the visual.
    My 2 cents...you can learn from everything...the ear or the eye.

User Info Menu

They write em'...we read em'...and we learn!...We hope......L

User Info Menu

David Liebman - A Chromatic Approach to Jazz Harmony

George Garzone's triad thing

Mike Longo's DVD's: The Rhythmic Nature of Jazz

Hal Galper: Forward Motion

Mick Goodrick: The Advancing Guitarist, and his recent books

Brett Wilmott: "Complete book of Harmony, Theory, and Voicing for Guitar", and his second book, Harmonic Extensions.
    Last edited by RyanM; 04-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __aux
    There has just been published a book with tons of bebop licks from BopLand.org. Here's the link to Amazon product page. I would not recommend this book for beginners as all the licks are in standard notation. On the other hand this is a first publication of this scope covering a number of must known jazz tunes in all keys and time signatures like 3/4 and 5/4. Attached is a couple of scans from this volume.

Best,
    __aux
    Very handy book.