The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 468

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danwaineo
    Hmm.. "Out of Nowhere" seems like a good standard. Not too fast, not too hard, not too common. I would nominate that one.
    Not bad. Just enough weird to keep a guy on his toes. Not so much weird that you can dodge the fact that you should know it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Hey, good idea, Bud! How about Morricone's tune that Pat Metheny did on his Beyond the Missouri Sky?

What do you say, Henry? You know that tune, right? The Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso. Solo guitar. Of course we should also put up an uptempo song as well.

I have offered nothing but sincere compliments on your playing and writing. But not sure I get the same respect back. So who is making the excuses now.....? Or as you say, put up or shut up.

Your words, Henry, not mine.

Jay
    I post music all the time. I put up. Thank you for your compliments. But compliments. But compliments should be sincere. You're playing isn't bad but when you state you can play your ass off and as good or better than a bunch of pros here it sets you up in a different category. What I heard was not professional. Don't let richb listen and talk about timing.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 11-14-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typo "is bad" should have been "isn't bad"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    And man, this shouldn't have pissed all over AlsoRans good thread.

An excellent point. I've seen a couple links to jazzadvice.com pop up from time to time. Anyway... that's an awesome site and I found this little tidbit.

How Jazz Play Alongs Waste Time & How To Practice Better | jazzadvice.com

It's actually an excellent little column and gets at both sides. It outlines all the concerns I have about practicing with backing tracks but also gives some handy strategies I never thought of for using them effectively.

User Info Menu

jazzadvice is really good stuff. I'm not sure if anyone here has donated money to them, but I have. Doesn't have to be much. I think they deserve a little something for their efforts.

User Info Menu

I have never been in the showing up thing. Show off maybe, but to SHOW UP is way too hostile and passive aggressive for me. I do not believe music is a competition. Music is an expression. But the bizarre confrontational manner is a real put off. Its bullshit and a bullshit sick game. But YOU are the one who called the game in on yourself. I'm not playing that game. I don't have to prove anything.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 11-14-2014 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I think it would be cool to have a bunch of us post a chorus of "Out of Nowhere", not as a "pissing contest", I would genuinely be interested to hear how different players approach the tune. I have a good backing track.

Anybody game?

User Info Menu

Sure but I took two ... and (obviously) no backing track

User Info Menu

Nylon string that was within arms reach. The pick that was in the strings. An online metronome. iPhone voice recorder. And there it is warts and all.

User Info Menu

Backing track
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inwalkedbud
    Nylon string that was within arms reach. The pick that was in the strings. An online metronome. iPhone voice recorder. And there it is warts and all.
    Great job inwalkedbud! I'm really impressed you immediately put yourself out there (less than an hour after I suggested it). It's a great example without a backing track (per our thread). This is very inspiring.

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty good to me.

GOod call on the tune. In order to get the thread on track somewhat...i'll try a chorus with a backing track and a chorus without...i'll try and be up tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Sure but I took two ... and (obviously) no backing track
    Kudos to you man! - and nice lines too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    There's a thread every month with a real good vibe where folks post on this site. Why don't you just go over there and post. Those monthly threads would benefit from more participation.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/jazzg...ong-wendy.html
    Fep, you took the words right outta my mouth!

User Info Menu

I would appreciate any feedback on this, thanks.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vintagelove; 11-13-2014 at 10:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I would appreciate any feedback on this, thanks.
    Sounds really nice! I think it sounds a little rhythmically uniform and a little bit chord scaley. Really nice eighth note feel for a few measures. Cool triplet line. Try putting triplets, eighth notes, quarter note triplets, all into a single line. Try quoting from the melody a bit and get outside!

User Info Menu

Sounds really nice! I think it sounds a little rhythmically uniform and a little bit chord scaley. Really nice eighth note feel for a few measures. Cool triplet line. Try putting triplets, eighth notes, quarter note triplets, all into a single line. Try quoting from the melody a bit and get outside!

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely guilty of playing too many notes (hence the rhythmic sterility), though I am better than I used to be. In another decade I may even try a quarter note!!!

I am not really a chord scale player, however it can sound like that with longer lines if the chords are not changing fast. I wouldn't have complained if that backing track was a bit faster, but maybe if I tried a quarter note or two it might prevent me from playing all the notes of the scale??? Hmmm.....

Until recently, I was never a fan of the outside sound, but I have been working on it recently and it is growing on me. I enjoy Tim Millers playing.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Really nice eighth note feel for a few measures.

Curious which measures you liked the 8th note feel on? You can just say what chord on the first or second time through. Thanks

User Info Menu

Oh I just meant the very beginning. A really nice long eighth note line(s). Right near the end you had a long triplet run. Mixing different sub divisions would be cool in the same line

User Info Menu

Oh I just meant the very beginning. A really nice long eighth note line(s). Right near the end you had a long triplet run. Mixing different sub divisions would be cool in the same line

Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"You're playing is bad but when you state you can play your ass off and as good or better than a bunch of pros here it sets you up in a different category. What I heard was not professional. Don't let richb listen and talk about timing." - Henri

Thanks for the compliments, Henry! Your sincerity is endearing. As for the timing, I assume you are talking about the bluesy tune. Maybe you missed the part where I explained that playing through the Roland synth has a big problem - latency. Let me repeat that for the reading impaired. LATENCY. And that recording was a specific "project" for a damn BS Roland competition regarding their SYNTHS. Got it?

Anyway, although I've really never played Out of Nowhere before, I just ran through a Sonny Stitt version. No problem.

Only it appears that someone here can sling the mud, but does not have the cojones to show up on game day. Who could that be? Someone with a giant ego and a little....reticence to meet on the playing field.

Is that what you mean by "professional"? I guess when you ask someone to strip away his fancy recording studio and hot supporting band, they get 'cold feet'.

Naked guitar. Out Of Nowhere. No backing tracks other than yourself. You get two guitar tracks - rhythm/bass and a lead. Take the tempo that you like to a hi-hat click track so everyone can hear the timing. No percussion. You have to generate the pulse yourself. By Sunday night. (I don't have a recording studio - I'm not a hot shit pro. I have to fight for the computer and the quiet time.)

Or is that too easy for a professional to stoop to?

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    put up or shut up.

Ball is actually in your court right now as it happens.

User Info Menu

I meant to say your playing ISNT bad. Sorry about that.

User Info Menu

No. Playing your game is too low to stoop to. I don't have to. I've posted many, many tracks. I have record and released four if my own CDs. I'm not playing a pissing match game with you. We've waited for ever for you to post a simple song that shows you jazz improv abilities. Not hard. Put a little smart phone up. Hell. You're a physician. I'm assuming you were smart enough to graduate, you're probably smart enough to figure that out. But I guess not. And then you post something from a while ago with excuses galore. I wish you'd try a little humility. You're trying to learn this thing like everyone else is here. Nobody cares. You've made a circus of things here for no reason.

User Info Menu

Referring to me, Bud?

You call those recordings to backing tracks and what I have heard so far "the game"? You are kidding, right?

I'm going to show up. With a two track recording. No backing tracks. Two guitar tracks that you create - one rhythm/bass and another lead track to a high hat click. You can choose your tempo. Naked guitar to a click.

I suspect Jeff will deliver. Vintage did a nice little recording, but then again there was that backing track. Melody, rhythm, tempo and timing. You need to do it all yourself. Naked guitar, man.

After I do the game day recording, I'll do a second one with a vocal added. Just for the fun. A bonus from a "non-professional".

But I have to learn the song first. You know, normally I do not stoop to personal attacks. But I guess that rule does not apply to everyone. Someone here need to learn a lesson about humility. Even the pros...

Jay