The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 468

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    Standard Stuff will work...

What types of files can I upload?

We support AIFF, WAVE (WAV), FLAC, ALAC, OGG, MP2, MP3, AAC, AMR, and WMA files. The maximum file size is 5GB.

​Please note, if your sound is over 6 hours and 45 minutes long, our system will not be able to process it.

SoundCloud | What types of files can I upload?
    So I can upload the wav.files off the Korg as such? Cool! Good fidelity. Thanks for digging into the details, DJ.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Rubato's like curry powder. You don't put it in everything.

Rich's comment was directed at those who play solo because they can't play with others. If you've got crappy time, playing solo is a great enabler...trust me, I play a lot of solo...I've learned some lessons the hard way.
    I also think a lot of players are trying to emulate sophisticated underlying rhythmic frameworks which they don't understand. "Sounds like Kurt just plays kind of 'out of time' for a few bars"...and then, trying to emulate that. There's a lot of tight underlying rhythmic organization which goes into playing something which to the casual listener sounds loose or rubato.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-12-2014 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Right! Rubato doesn't just mean "trying to play in time and sucking."

User Info Menu

The lengths some people will go to avoid playing with others. I hope his time isn't bad as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images Practicing Lines - Do you need a backing track of some sort?-one-man-band-jpg 
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 11-12-2014 at 04:00 PM.

That's where people that study music in school band or piano for years really have it on self taught guitarists. You've really got to put some time in understanding and feeling things like eight note triplet and 16th note polyrhythms to get what a lot of these big players are really doing.

There's a lot more to it than just trying to kind of abstract it like Kurt. It's okay to play something that's a little simpler that you can actually understand and play. A lot of it is laziness and then there's some not understanding what's going on.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-12-2014 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Rubato is fine for the occasional intro, interlude or ending but my personal tastes and opinions incline toward playing the song in time with swing or groove. Playing solo guitar with a good feel is difficult. Self accompanied solo improvisation is even more so.

User Info Menu

To be real honest, I don't like playing with others that much because there's always too much booze, dope, drama and lack of preparation, especially in my part of the world where the blues players have completely taken over - everybody wants to 'jam' and I want to put together a group that will rehearse and get things right - that's pretty much the only kinds of groups I've ever worked with and I miss it. It seems to me that, to the younger players, every song is a 'jam' and it matters not if you know the changes or not - of course, it's mostly 3 and 4 chord songs, so it sorta works, I guess. Most of the jams I've been to (and it's been a while) have pretty much ended up being 'cutting contests' - whoever plays the most notes the loudest gets the most respect. I'd rather go play a rubato Georgia on My Mind or Misty for a bunch of folks in an assisted living facility than to play in a bar - been there, done that, and they didn't even give me T-shirt.

I did just complete a 15 show run of 'Best Little Whorehouse In Texas' at our local performing arts center and had the pleasure of working with some really top notch musicians - all college trained, very experienced players (except me) and it was a wonderful experience! It was nice to be able to ask the musical director what voicing worked best or how she wanted a particular thing played and get an intelligent answer back. That doesn't happen at the local 'jam'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    To be real honest, I don't like playing with others that much because there's always too much booze, dope, drama and lack of preparation, especially in my part of the world where the blues players have completely taken over - everybody wants to 'jam' and I want to put together a group that will rehearse and get things right - that's pretty much the only kinds of groups I've ever worked with and I miss it. It seems to me that, to the younger players, every song is a 'jam' and it matters not if you know the changes or not - of course, it's mostly 3 and 4 chord songs, so it sorta works, I guess. Most of the jams I've been to (and it's been a while) have pretty much ended up being 'cutting contests' - whoever plays the most notes the loudest gets the most respect. I'd rather go play a rubato Georgia on My Mind or Misty for a bunch of folks in an assisted living facility than to play in a bar - been there, done that, and they didn't even give me T-shirt.

I did just complete a 15 show run of 'Best Little Whorehouse In Texas' at our local performing arts center and had the pleasure of working with some really top notch musicians - all college trained, very experienced players (except me) and it was a wonderful experience! It was nice to be able to ask the musical director what voicing worked best or how she wanted a particular thing played and get an intelligent answer back. That doesn't happen at the local 'jam'.

I feel ya. That's why I like some of these country gigs...get to back a national touring performer who has his "go to's" in town...get the songlist a month or so before, 1 rehearsal, everybody's professional, no booze, no smoke. Players.

User Info Menu

Regarding rhythmic outsideness, for lack of a better term, I have looked at transcriptions of master improvisers, and where they may sound like they are playing outside the changes, it turns out the notes played are all diatonic to the chords and key, but it is the 9 or 7 notes played intentionally over a quarter note that make the passage sound "outside".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I feel ya. That's why I like some of these country gigs...get to back a national touring performer who has his "go to's" in town...get the songlist a month or so before, 1 rehearsal, everybody's professional, no booze, no smoke. Players.
    That's the way the 'Whorehouse' gig was - one 2 hour rehearsal (without the drummer), one tech dress rehearsal and then opened to the public. That's the way it should be - no muss, no fuss, play the music, get paid and go home. Wish there was more of this work - I think this gig might have gotten me some inroads to other theaters in the area.

User Info Menu

I don't play with people who drink in excess or do drugs or carry drama with them. One does have a choice in most cases. I haven't solved the lack of preparation part though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't play with people who drink in excess or do drugs or carry drama with them. One does have a choice in most cases. I haven't solved the lack of preparation part though.
    Henry, in some areas it's just not possible to pick and choose. I've got a couple old friends that I can sit and play with but it's the same old tunes every time (you get good at 'em after awhile, though). I get the most enjoyment out of the theater gigs where it's treated professionally and if you don't sign a contract, you don't play, especially in the Equity theater situations - local community theater is a little more lax but still very professional - those people are there because they want to be and usually it's just the musicians who get paid - the rest, cast and crew, are volunteers and they put their hearts into. I've advertised for an upright bass player who would like to put the effort into rehearsing and doing a quality duo but all the answers I've had are from bluegrassers and rock-a-billy guys (nothing against them at all - I've played and enjoyed both) but I'd really like to do some Great American Songbook stuff and there just isn't anyone into it anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    The lengths some people will go to avoid playing with others. I hope his time isn't bad as well.
    That's a photo of Pat Metheny's grandpa with the very first Orchestrion.

User Info Menu

Still nothing posted huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Still nothing posted huh?
    Are there still people who actually think anything will be posted? Frankly, I hope it never happens.

User Info Menu

Just for fun I went back to find that the thread from a few months ago when we were in this same boat. You know, the one where Targuit said we'd all be swallowing hard when we hear him play, because crow is hard to swallow. I found the thread, but T has deleted all of his posts! Interesting.

User Info Menu

This has happened before? As you say, interesting.....

User Info Menu

Yeah...it ain't gonna happen. I'm just going to put him on Ignore now. I'm tired of hearing about Sibelius.

User Info Menu

I am too. I am not one to say that you have to be a great player to say anything worth hearing about music, but there is a point where the pronouncements get strong enough that they need to be backed up.

I bet the guy is a decent player, in a MOR, easy listening sort of way. Too bad, we will never know for sure.

For me, posted clips are a snapshot of where the player is on that day, on that tune, not something destined to knock Chris Botti or Kenny G out of the Grammy running.

FWIW, in my opinion, those are two guys who are really good players, who play and put out music that I do not, and will not listen to.

User Info Menu

One of the reasons I was looking forward to hearing from him was because he is a self-described guitarist who plays "by ear" instead of theory. I really wanted to hear how that sounded coming from him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Just for fun I went back to find that the thread from a few months ago when we were in this same boat. You know, the one where Targuit said we'd all be swallowing hard when we hear him play, because crow is hard to swallow. I found the thread, but T has deleted all of his posts! Interesting.
    I thought this all seemed very familiar.....

User Info Menu

If you all are referring to me, the recordings are coming. I signed up with Sound Cloud yesterday, and I will be transferring the wav. files from my Korg. There will be at least four songs, but I decided not to put up the original version of Estate as recorded with 'backing tracks", for the simple reason that they are too "mechanical" sounding, especially the piano track. Instead I recorded a live vocal and two live guitar tracks. That is not because I do not believe that using Sib. for rehearsal tracks is not beneficial - I believe it is very good for rehearsal purposes. But in the end the recording did not meet my standards for releasing as is for the reason I cited.

Look at it this way - what you will hear will be "live" recordings of my classical nylon string guitar and vocals. I'm including a couple of Jobim tunes so some bossa nova - Dindi, Corcovado, How Insensitive -and maybe Louis Bonfa's Manha de Carnaval. By using Sound Cloud I can skip the 'video making' extra step for YouTube. And apparently it is pretty easy to upload music files into SC.

So be just a bit more patient with me. The music is coming. The thing about 'eating crow' was in reference to suggestions that I am all talk and no substance. Not true in the least. Maybe I express my opinions with too much vigor, but an opinion is just that. Take it for what it is worth. Some individuals have been rather hostile at times. I do not attack individuals in regard to their integrity or character. Maybe I should adopt a more humble tone at times. But I do know what I'm talking about, and you all will be able to judge very soon whether there is any substance to what I say. My fault for promising to deliver to a deadline. But life intervenes.

As regards "playing by ear" - I do know theory very well. But I simply maintain that in the end your ears and the ability to play what you hear in your mind are the best tools for improvisation or just playing jazz guitar. It does not mean I expect to be playing next with Chris Botti any time soon. But Chris Botti is a fabulous trumpet player with gorgeous tone imo.

So I'm going to keep more quiet for a while until I can put up the link to Sound Cloud. Then if you don't like what you hear, you can tear me to shreds.

Just to dispel the notion that my playing is "all in my head", here is a link to my old Sound Click site with just two of my original songs on it. Both were written and recorded in a white heat to make deadlines
    (you can see I just can't seem to change) for songwriting competitions. One is a New Orleans type jazzy blues called City Lights that I wrote and recorded over a three day period for a Roland guitar synth music competition. Could have benefited from more editing, but the idea of the competition was to show what you can do with the Roland guitar synths. So there is no "guitar" track, but everything you hear is my electric Godin LGX-SA through my Rol. synth except for the shuffle percussion track on my Korg. It does show some of the problems of recording the synth with the inherent latency issues that make it hard to keep the tempo properly. The other song, My Destiny, was written and recorded in less than 48 hours for an American Idol song competition to meet their deadlines. You can see I am a chronic procrastinator. Anyway, take a listen. I'm such a tech whiz - just two songs, one a duplicate on the page. Please listen with headphones if possible - I hate the sounds through laptop speakers. The link is directly to the music page. If you hit the 'full' button, you will see that My Destiny made to number 16 in the acoustic general section of over 30,000 songs at its peak. Or at least that is SC says it did.

Jay Dreams

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 11-13-2014 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StanG

FWIW, in my opinion, those are two guys who are really good players, who play and put out music that I do not, and will not listen to.
    You were very positive and civil so I'll withhold my opinion of Kenny G (if I've nothing nice to say...) --- Chris Botti however is a bad dude. Capital B. I think he's one of the few smooth guys I've heard getting begrudging tips of the cap from jazzers. Aside from Benson and Wes and the like who had smooth periods.

User Info Menu

Jay.

Frankly no-one cares one way or another whether you are a great player or not. Personally I don't care whether you post your playing or not. I really don't think you ever will, but you can understand why someone might think that in the circumstances.

But if you say that you are going to post something, then that should really take about 5 minutes. Not 5 months. I think you have about 3 options. 1 - post your music like you said you would; 2 - don't post your music and say you won't for whatever reason; 3 - say you are going to post your music and then spend the next 6 months blathering about all the impediments that exist that might prevent you from spending the 5 minutes it will take to actually do what you have been spending hours explaining why you can't manage to do what others seem to have no problem doing in about 5 minutes.

Again - I really don't care whether you actually post anything or not. I actually prefer that you don't. But if you say you intend to, then do so or shut up about it.

User Info Menu

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder.