The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I demo how you can use licks in a standard. Hope this helps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Will,

I really appreciate your video. This is a book that I worked on for some months but didn't know how to use it without cutting /pasting.
    The comments that you put on the screen are very usefull but it's too fast at least for me to hear the part of the lick from the book and the part that you transformed.
    May I ask you to do another lesson where you'd slowly play the same solo (or another) but demonstrating with your guitar how you used and adapted Greg Fishman's licks following "All The Things You Are" chords.

Best,

Jojo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    Hi Will,

I really appreciate your video. This is a book that I worked on for some months but didn't know how to use it without cutting /pasting.
    The comments that you put on the screen are very usefull but it's too fast at least for me to hear the part of the lick from the book and the part that you transformed.
    May I ask you to do another lesson where you'd slowly play the same solo (or another) but demonstrating with your guitar how you used and adapted Greg Fishman's licks following "All The Things You Are" chords.

Best,

Jojo
    I've ordered the book due to your recommendation and think this would be a very valuable addition in applying it to ones playing.

I'm hoping to do more videos on this book and I was going to do a course or something where I explain a few ways to leverage the licks. If you pause the video I explain what lick I am using, and on YouTube you can slow the video down to 50% and still hear audio using the gear icon below the video.

User Info Menu

Great news from things to come !

Thank you Will

Thanks for posting this. It's good stuff.
    It should be noted that there is a version for guitar which has the great Chicago guitarist Mike Allemana playing the licks.

Yep Mike's excellent - in the video I mentioned and linked to the Guitar version and in this video I show people how to connect and develop the licks as many people seem to get stuck after they learn the licks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us
    Thanks for posting this. It's good stuff.
    It should be noted that there is a version for guitar which has the great Chicago guitarist Mike Allemana playing the licks.
    Different book that has 12 etudes each named after Chicago streets

User Info Menu

Hey Will, thanks. i ordered the book as well. thanks fro the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Different book that has 12 etudes each named after Chicago streets
    I think it's the same book, just has Mike playing the examples.
    Are we talking about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Licks-Guit...ords=hip+licks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us
    I think it's the same book, just has Mike playing the examples.
    Are we talking about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Licks-Guit...ords=hip+licks
    No I was referring to a 2008 book which is different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wkriski
    ... on YouTube you can slow the video down to 50% and still hear audio using the gear icon below the video.
    I clicked on the only "gear icon below the video" that I see, and it only lets me turn annotations on/off and change the video quality, i.e. 720p, 480, etc. Am I missing something? Are you sure that is available to anyone watching your video? I think maybe that might just be for you while uploading your own video.

Using Jazz Licks in a Melodic Solo - All The Things You Are-hipyout-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tribeo
    I clicked on the only "gear icon below the video" that I see, and it only lets me turn annotations on/off and change the video quality, i.e. 720p, 480, etc. Am I missing something? Are you sure that is available to anyone watching your video? I think maybe that might just be for you while uploading your own video.

Chrome has it but Firefox doesn't to my knowledge
    Are you using the HTML5 player or the old one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    Chrome has it but Firefox doesn't to my knowledge
    Are you using the HTML5 player or the old one?
    I see the same thing in Chrome. I just verified that I have the latest version of Chrome 33.0.1750.154 m

Using Jazz Licks in a Melodic Solo - All The Things You Are-allthevid-jpg

No it works on many videos not just my own, that's what I use to transcribe other solos not just my channel. You could try to sign up for the html5 trial. https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=CA

Using Jazz Licks in a Melodic Solo - All The Things You Are-screen-shot-2014-03-20-7-47-37-pm-png

User Info Menu

Very intriguing concept you presented.

I am still wondering, are the solos in the two books the same? Does anyone know for sure?

(Now for the question that real Jazz guitarist don't like)

Does the guitar book have standard notation and guitar tablature?

Thanks!

Thanks. It's fun. The solos are the exact same. But for sax I have to transpose it via Transcribe! The guitar version has tab and standard notation in concert pitch. I bought the sax version of licks when it first came out and figured out where I like to play them which takes more work but it's fun. I'll be getting the guitar version sent to me so I can show it on camera when it arrives.

User Info Menu

No it works on many videos not just my own, that's what I use to transcribe other solos not just my channel. You could try to sign up for the html5 trial. https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=CA

Using Jazz Licks in a Melodic Solo - All The Things You Are-screen-shot-2014-03-20-7-47-37-pm-png
    Awesome, thanks, that did it!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up to you for recommending this book!

I got it yesterday and I love the way the licks sound. It is Jazz the way I like it.

It gives a really great explanation full of suggestions on how to use it, and the CD is a great aid.

Instantly, I am making great music and my mind comes up with all kinds of other musical ideas that go along with the same mood the lick imparts on the solo.

I am ordering the other book by this author right now.

User Info Menu

I was thinking of getting the iPad app for this but is that going to require me to transcribe the licks into different keys?(ie it looks like the iPad app is written for sax.)
    Last edited by ColinO; 03-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I just received the Etude book yesterday. Great material in here. Ordering the lick book today. Great post and thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    I just received the Etude book yesterday. Great material in here. Ordering the lick book today. Great post and thread.
    jaco,

Are you able to identify the Jazz standards that the changes in the etude book are based on? For instance, I bet there is a Cm7, Fm7, Dm7b5, G7, Cm7, Ebm7, Ab7, DbMaj7, Dmin7b5, G7 or something similar that corresponds to "Blue Bossa" changes.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Listened to the whole CD on the way to work this morning. Can't say I heard Blue Bossa, but some others are on here. Will try to sit down and catalog them assuming someone else hasn't already.

User Info Menu

Here are the diffferent tunes :

1. Halsted Street = Eb Blues
    2. Irving Park Road = Take The A Train
    3. State Street = Eb Rhythm Changes
    4. Waveland Avenue = Green Dolphin Street
    5. Fullerton Avenue = Bb Blues
    6. Belmont Avenue = Have You Met Miss Jones
    7. Grand Avenue = Out Of Nowhere
    8. Rush Street = Satin Doll
    9. Michigan Avenue = Bb Rhythm Changes
    10. Clark Street = Autumn Leaves
    11. Wabash Avenue = Body and Soul

12. Addison Street = Alone Together

Enjoy,
    Jojo

User Info Menu

I demo how you can use licks in a standard. Hope this helps.
    You have changed my life, Sir. What a Godsend.