The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Looking forward to it, Mark.
    Me too. Meanwhile, I'm trying to boil what I know (so far) down to ten-minutes-or-less. Good thing I've got a week to work on that; it's always easier to talk for a long time than to be brief, concise, apt, and clear.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Knowledge of chords is so intertwined with a knowledge of scales I can't seen any reason why a well-educated and well versed player wouldn't wouldn't know both methods, inside out, today.

So many instructors, formats and institutions teach just about everything there is ti know today that Carol's consistent and contiued badgering on this subject, to me, just makes her a turn-off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrp11
    So many instructors, formats and institutions teach just about everything there is ti know today that Carol's consistent and continued badgering on this subject, to me, just makes her a turn-off.
    That's the thing. She doesn't want to teach you everything there is to know. She wants to teach you how to play good bebop-influenced jazz (-'40s/'50s stuff) in a few months for a few bucks. She'll get you up and running and you'll be able to find your way from there.

User Info Menu

Well, I got the webcam but it won't record sound, so I'm returning it for a refund. Damn, damn, damn. I was so psyched about this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbyork
    I'm still psyched about it, so I look forward to anything else you have to show/say on this. I have one of the Herb Ellis books (haven't done much with it yet), and I'm intrigued by Carol's insights as well. Jazz from that period is among my favorites, and I'm always curious to know more about how those players learned.

As an aside, I've begun to wonder if the teaching methods promoted by so many modern players are true reflections of the way they themselves learned to play. I've tried many of them, and still haven't figured out how to make music with them. Sure can play me some scales, though . . .
    Well, Frank (-aka fep) has made the same sort of webcam work on the same sort of system, so he's going to review how he set it up and see if there's an additional step that may help me with mine. So let's not abandon all hope just yet (-though I did just that last night!)

Great point: is the way they TEACH the way they LEARNED? In many cases, I think not. For some it's a two-step process: 1) learn how to play so well one is offered the chance to make some extra dough writing a method book and 2) learn how to teach.... Horace Hatchett was regarded as a great teacher (-Howard Roberts studied with him, as did Carol Kaye, among many others) but not a great player. Joe Pass was a great player but his teaching, esp the early books, don't get many players where they want to go. (Joe was more suited to video, just showing you how he plays, though his explanations are sort of catch-as-catch-can. Mickey Baker sure has taught a multitude of players the basics of jazz.

User Info Menu

Good news, the webcam now works. Took three installations but it's working now. I'll make a short introductory vid tonight or tomorrow (-it's playoff weekend again and I'm a football fan) and post it asap.

User Info Menu

Mark.Have searched the webb-are the Carol Kaye Jazz Giutar books now out of print?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    Mark.Have searched the webb-are the Carol Kaye Jazz Giutar books now out of print?
    No, but I think she's the only person who sells them. (She's published a lot of books over the years, mostly for bass players, as well as the early Joe Pass books. She sold the publishing rights to the Pass material but kept the rights to her own.

The Official Carol Kaye Web Site

The Official Carol Kaye Web Site <<<< Mostly bass books; scroll down for "Jazz Guitar" and "Pro's Jazz Phrases, Treble Clef."

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark-was looking at wrong site to order,now done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    Thanks Mark-was looking at wrong site to order,now done.
    Great! Carol usually ships the same day, and priority mail too. You'll have the stuff before you know it!

User Info Menu

There's a good Joe Pass lesson on youtube. Concerning I vi ii V progressions where he mentions that too much focus on practicing scales isn't the way to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    There's a good Joe Pass lesson on youtube. Concerning I vi ii V progressions where he mentions that too much focus on practicing scales isn't the way to go.
    Do you have a link for the lesson? ;o)

User Info Menu

Here's the link for the Joe Pass lesson.

User Info Menu

There's 4 parts to that Joe Pass video. His discussion of practicing scales is in the later part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Here's the link for the Joe Pass lesson.
    Thanks! I hadn't seen this. Joe was a marvel.

User Info Menu

Off topic for this thread, but one of my favorite Carol Kaye lines is the 5 opening bass guitar notes she played on Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell recording).

User Info Menu

And here they are, along with the rest of the song....

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorites. Has been since I first heard it when it was released back in the 60's

User Info Menu

If the chordal note approach is better than why is that? Can we get exact details on this and how she teaches it?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    If the chordal note approach is better than why is that? Can we get exact details on this and how she teaches it?
    Well, her booklets are cheap and worth the money. I'm not going to give away the contents here. But I can say one reason she thinks the chordal-notes approach is better for beginners is that it trains the ear to hear chords, and it trains the fingers to know where the chord tones are all over one's instrument. (These things are conceptually simple but it takes time to master them on one's instrument.)

Chords move in patterns. Much improv makes use of single-note patterns too. That's what she teachers.

User Info Menu

Oh I'm buying when I can. I just want to understand what I'd be spending money on I guess. So basic details are good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguitars09
    Oh I'm buying when I can. I just want to understand what I'd be spending money on I guess. So basic details are good.
    If you send her an email, she'll answer it.

User Info Menu

Or bite your head off and shove down your neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Or bite your head off and shove it down your neck.
    Or that. ;o) She's done it to me.

As the old saying goes, "Sticks and stones....."