The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Where do you guys get backing tracks to improvise over? Preferably standards and songs that it will come in handy to know (two birds with one stone, you know). Free would also be a huge plus considering I'm a broke student.
    Obviously learning by playing with people would be best but I'd like a way to practice this at home if at all possible.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. (I haven't had much luck with the forum's search function so far)
    Last edited by Source; 09-26-2012 at 11:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Band in a box is the best program for backing tracks, imo. You can find pretty much all the jazz standards in BiaB format if you search around. And the great thing about BiaB is you can change the key, tempo, or reharmonize tunes easily and instantly.

Barring that, Jamey Abersold's website is a great source of backing tracks.

Lastly, you can find many on Youtube (though the quality can be sketchy sometimes). Here is a channel with like 180 jazz standard backing tracks (made in BiaB i think): jazz standards enjoy that channel while it lasts....

User Info Menu

+ 1 on BiaB.
    It's a very useful tool, very easy to use (don't have to be a computer expert...). And you can record yourself over the backing track to check your timing and harmonic coherence.

Wow the link to that YouTube channel is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, jazzadelic.

Band in a box sounds pretty awesome as well, I'll save up some money and try to get that. Problem is I'm working solely from my phone right now, I don't have a computer.

User Info Menu

You can check out the website in my sig..

Tom...

User Info Menu

I came across this today. At jwplayalongs.com, he sells an mp3 player with the songs from the real book as backing tracks. Cost 109.00 dollars.

You can hear a sample on his blog.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    I came across this today. At jwplayalongs.com, he sells an mp3 player with the songs from the real book as backing tracks. Cost 109.00 dollars. You can hear a sample on his blog.
    About the same price as the basic BiaB, which after downloading some free files easily found on the web, you would have thousands of backing tracks, with adjustable tempo, key, turn parts on or off, and many other features too many to mention.

User Info Menu

you can also try this. it doesnt even come close to BIAB, but its free
    JamBuddy - Free musical play along chord player backing track creation web site

Why you think youtube jazzstandard channel is going away. been there a long time.

User Info Menu

If you have an ipad there's a real book app which is excellent.

User Info Menu

Abersold backing tracks are great...You could borrow them from a friend if you haven't the money to buy them. They are quite cheap though (less than 20 bucks).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    Why you think youtube jazzstandard channel is going away. been there a long time.
    I hope it never goes away, but the reality is, if any one of the companies that owns a copyright of one of the tunes posted complains to youtube, the channel can easily get shutdown. Even without the melody present in the tunes, just using the actual names of the tunes, is enough to be in violation. Just think, the company that owns the copyright can produce their own backing tracks of the tunes they own, and profit from it. That's why some people, when posting chord changes or back tracks will rename them, i.e. Autumn Leaves becomes Fall Leaves. You can't copyright chord changes, but the name of a tune is part of the copyright. At least, afaik, this is the case.

User Info Menu

Song titles aren't copyright protected..On the other hand if a backing track uses the same arrangement that is totally different. Karaoke tracks being an example..

Tom...

User Info Menu

Ireal book is cheap. Impro-Visor is free. Both have plenty of features.

There not going anywhere, you can't copy write chord progressions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Source
    Where do you guys get backing tracks to improvise over? Preferably standards and songs that it will come in handy to know (two birds with one stone, you know). Free would also be a huge plus considering I'm a broke student.
    Obviously learning by playing with people would be best but I'd like a way to practice this at home if at all possible.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times. (I haven't had much luck with the forum's search function so far)
    here's a few you might like...

Blue Bossa backing track

So What backing track (groove version)

Mercy Mercy Mercy backing track

Summertime backing track (groove style)

there's also a jazz playlist which has 2-5-1 practice tracks etc HERE

enjoy

enjoy