The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

So I've recently gotten into Jack Zucker's SOS first book. The main portion of this book deals with fingerings of all of the main scales used in improvisation.

Is the point of this book to give the player new fingerings that enable you to play these scales smoother and faster?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack could answer that the best for you, he's not a regular like in the past, but still pops up from time to time.

I've watched a lot of his videos and only seen sample pages from his book so I can't answer your question, but sure Jack or others can.

User Info Menu

That's the gist of it. It's based mostly on sweep picking and arranging phrases to adhere to sweeping patterns. It's about breaking out of box patterns that facilitate vertical playing while focusing on a horizontal approach by re-arranging fingering patterns for arpeggios, scales and phrases.

Since I have extremely small hands that don't like to be stretched, I had no use for the fingerings. That being said, I've benfitted a lot from the etudes provided that cover the styles of players like Pat Martino and Pat Metheny.
    So it'll teach you some jazz language as well.

If you have average or large hands, I think you will benefit from the fingerings he uses. Just watch him play to see what I'm talking about.

Yep, agreed. At first I was a little discouraged about reworking all of the familiar scale shapes that I've been using all along, but it's well worth it.

I was really amazed at how quickly I was able to play a jazz minor scale fingering and it definitely wasn't as easy to maneuver around with my old typical fingering.

User Info Menu

I have not worked through the SOS book (although I own it, and worked with it briefly when I first got it). I hear you on the pain involved in re-learning scale fingerings. I thought I knew my major and melodic minor scales and modes until a couple of months ago when I decided to try going through the Frank Gambale video daily. Now I've been working on his 3 note-per-string fingerings for a while. I'll be honest, it's opened up my playing. I think that learning familiar material in a different way can only help deepen your knowledge and facility.

Eventually, I think your ear takes over, and if your fingers have sufficient mileage in them to play whatever note you want from wherever you happen to be at the moment, you can play anything you can hear.

User Info Menu

With all due respect,but I don"t see Frank Gambale"s approach as "true"
    3NPS scales.
    As far as I understood it,he uses (in ascending scale) 2 notes on the
    high e-string,
    and (on descending scale) 4 notes on the low E-string,to facilitate for
    his sweep-picking technique.
    I"m referring to Gambales Scales video,not his Techniques book.

Quote Originally Posted by MackBolan
    3NPS scales.
    high e-string,
    Jack also does something similar in SOS. What's wrong with that? I'd rather do that to help with the picking pattern, who cares if it isn't "technically" 3 notes/string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MackBolan
    3NPS scales.
    high e-string,
    The scales I'm referring to are the ones used in the Chop Builder video. The 2 notes on the top E string are the 9th and 3rd after already ascending 2 octaves, so the fact that there are only 2 there is more based on turning the scale around from the top and starting to descend again. There are only 3 notes on the low E string used.

I extrapolated his fingerings to not just start on the low E string, but also start on the A string, and I take them all through the cycle of 4ths. It's deepening my knowledge of the construction of the major scale and its modes, and the melodic minor scale and its modes. (He also includes the harmonic minor scale and its modes as well, but I'm not there yet.)

Which Frank Gambale videos are you guys referring to?

User Info Menu

I have SOS #1. Didn't realize there is a volume 2. I may pick it up.

Best picking book around, for sure. I use it as a resource/encyclopedia.

Incidentally, is Jack even involved with music anymore? I found his website, and he's a professional photographer for weddings and portraits, etc. In the Land of the Cleves, no less.

Yeah, big money is jazz, idnit?

User Info Menu

He's a heck of a player and I've been tempted to get the books for a while, but I feel like I should wait until I'm ready to commit to working through them. I'd also be interested to know more details about the contents: I'm a fairly habitual economy picker but it seems there are some other very cool-sounding things in there.

User Info Menu

Volume 1 has some KILLER 4th and 5th patterns.

User Info Menu

I've played through the book, I proof read it for Jack, and there are a ton of nice melodic ideas in there. It's a lot more than just picking exercises, although it does that just fine, but good ideas to steal, as well.

User Info Menu

I should also add that Sheryl Bailey has said nice things about using SOS as a source for ideas. This was back in the days of rec music makers guitar jazz before it got taken over by trolls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmundLauritzen
    That's the gist of it. It's based mostly on sweep picking and arranging phrases to adhere to sweeping patterns. It's about breaking out of box patterns that facilitate vertical playing while focusing on a horizontal approach by re-arranging fingering patterns for arpeggios, scales and phrases.

I've benfitted a lot from the etudes provided that cover the styles of players like Pat Martino and Pat Metheny.
    So it'll teach you some jazz language as well.

If you have average or large hands, I think you will benefit from the fingerings he uses. Just watch him play to see what I'm talking about.
    Plus 1...Jacks book is cool and has a lot of great lines. I analyze what and why he is doing and steal them that way...

User Info Menu

That"s the video I"m referring to:

User Info Menu

SOS boosted my chops in such a short amount of time. I didn't even notice it until I thought about how my playing was before I got the book and compared to how I play now...truly amazing if you focus on really getting each and every note perfect and gradually increasing the tempo with my favorite metronome!