The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 200

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I could definitely use more review on chapter 5, but I think I'm ready to at least start on chapter 6 now. After reading through chapter 6, I'm left wondering about the other arpeggios for pattern III major and IV minor. He gives us the IImi7, V7 and Ima7 for pattern III major and IImi7(b5), V7 and Imi7 for pattern IV minor, but nothing for the other arpeggios. Should we only focus on the arpeggios needed for the connecting game in situations 1 to 4 in this chapter?

Does Joe ever fill in the arpeggios in the other patterns? I see some of them in worksheets later in the book, and I have the PDF from gersdal (which is great BTW, thanks gersdal!), but I wonder what Joe considers official? I could come up with my own fingerings, but I'm not sure they'd mesh with his goals. For example, left to my own fingerings, I wouldn't play pattern III major the same way, I'd likely stretch for the 7 with my pinky on the 4th string rather than shift positions. Fitting the arpeggios within the same scale pattern is part of what makes Joe's system work, so I'd like to get this right.
    From and earlier post in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The goal for chapter 5 was:

Your goal should be to become proficient at the connecting game within four to six weeks in the following situations and patterns:

- Situation #1 in Pattern I major
    - Situation #2 in Pattern I major
    - Situation #3 in Pattern II minor
    - Situation #4 in Pattern II minor

The goal for chapter 6 is:

- Situation #1 in Pattern III major
    - Situation #2 in Pattern III major
    - Situation #3 in Pattern IV minor
    - Situation #4 in Pattern IV minor
    Chapter 7 adds substitutions and the exercises include all the arpeggios except the VII chords and has us using those same Patterns.

And, the author stated, that we are suppose to work all the patterns into our practice eventually (not necessarily now, but either now or in the future).

So, we eventually will be using all the arpeggios.

I also think it's fine to stretch for the 7 on the 4th string for pattern III, that is what I do a lot of the time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Chapter 7 adds substitutions and the exercises include all the arpeggios except the VII chords and has us using those same Patterns.

And, the author stated, that we are suppose to work all the patterns into our practice eventually (not necessarily now, but either now or in the future).

So, we eventually will be using all the arpeggios.

I also think it's fine to stretch for the 7 on the 4th string for pattern III, that is what I do a lot of the time.
    Thanks for the clarifications.

I think my uncertainty came from how we'd done all the arpeggios for pattern I major and pattern II minor in chapters 2 and 3 before moving on to the connecting game with them in chapter 5. I was wondering if I'd missed something and perhaps we should do the same with all the arpeggios in pattern III major and IV minor before getting into the connecting game for chapter 6. Well then, I'll dig in with the connecting game in chapter 6 as written for now, and worry about the rest of the arpeggios later.
    Last edited by JazzReggie; 05-31-2012 at 02:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is one more video from my jet lagged practice session. it is situation 5 through the five positions at a slightly higher speed (110 bpm).

I'll next work on the substitutions and also on moving through a few keys while not changing position. Will hopefully post soon but have a busy week in the US coming up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Here is one more video from my jet lagged practice session. it is situation 5 through the five positions at a slightly higher speed (110 bpm).

I'll next work on the substitutions and also on moving through a few keys while not changing position. Will hopefully post soon but have a busy week in the US coming up.
    Good stuff, FrankLearns. Tons of work involved in putting all that into muscle memory, so Way to Go!

kj

User Info Menu

Dear friends,

I have finished a ton of teaching in the past few days in the US and before returning to europe tonight I have made another movie of my morning practice.

This is a somewhat more involved example of the arpeggio connection game / situation playing. I have taken 16 bars from "Tune up" and played the arpeggios through the five positions. There are mistakes (especially towards the end when i lost concentration) but i find it hard to play 80 bars uninterrupted eight notes without screwing up somewhere. Tempo is 100 bpm and this is fast as i can do it presently without stopping in between (i we played phrases we would take a break here and there to "breathe" and that makes it really easier - any soloist would, right?!). Parts of the exercise would probably work at 120-140 bpm but no chance to get through the entire 80 bars at elevated speed.

Here is the video:

For the moment that concludes chapters 4-6 for me. There clearly is more work to do but I would say practicing these arpeggios has already helped me quite a bit. The next task is to catch with you guys on the substitutions.

User Info Menu

Dear friends,

I have finished a ton of teaching in the past few days in the US and before returning to europe tonight I have made another movie of my morning practice.

This is a somewhat more involved example of the arpeggio connection game / situation playing. I have taken 16 bars from "Tune up" and played the arpeggios through the five positions. There are mistakes (especially towards the end when i lost concentration) but i find it hard to play 80 bars uninterrupted eight notes without screwing up somewhere. Tempo is 100 bpm and this is fast as i can do it presently without stopping in between (i we played phrases we would take a break here and there to "breathe" and that makes it really easier - any soloist would, right?!). Parts of the exercise would probably work at 120-140 bpm but no chance to get through the entire 80 bars at elevated speed.

For the moment that concludes chapters 4-6 for me. There clearly is more work to do but I would say practicing these arpeggios has already helped me quite a bit. The next task is to catch with you guys on the substitutions.

Great stuff Frank. You are setting the bar with these exercises and thanks for showing some different approaches at practicing the connecting game.

It's amazing that you are finding the time and energy to do this with all the travel you are doing.

I think it's going to be great to look back on these videos when we have completed the book and measure or progress.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Hi Frank,

Thanks so much for your kind words! I am having a great time doing these exersizes and i do think they help me a lot. I think this course is designed to "burn" the sound of chord tone in our ears and fingers. And if one has that down then hopefully we'll all eventually learn to play around them and still sound in tune. Great idea to come back to these videos about nine month or a year from now when we're wrapping up what we have learned.

I have a wonderful job but have to travel a lot. While travelling can be truly counterproductive to having a serious hobby, I promised myself to not let go again when I finally picked up the guitar again some two years or so ago. So now i am never travelling without my Frameworks and BandInaBox. It is really so nice what modern technology can do - and also how it connects people with the same interest half a world away.

Have an enjoyable evening while I will count arpeggios over the atlantic (or simply listen to Wes and dream about eventually figuring out one of his solos :-))

User Info Menu

At last found right thread! Great book will try and catch up as just got it.Remember also"Practice Makes Permanent".

User Info Menu

I've created 5-minute MP3 soundfiles (made in BiAB) for each of Situations I-IV, both in C and F (or Am and Dm). 110bpm. For those interested:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0O...zIzMkhaWTB0eUE
    Last edited by FatJeff; 06-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    I've created 5-minute BiAB soundfiles for each of Situations I-IV, both in C and F (or Am and Dm). 110bpm. For those interested:

Ok - you rock for two reasons:

1. doing this and offering it up to the group
    2. using Google to distribute. Huge fan.

But 110? Seriously? Seriously? How about 85 for us slackers??? (just giving you a hard time).

Thanks for doing this...added to my playlist, or sure.

Brian

User Info Menu

I've created 5-minute BiAB soundfiles for each of Situations I-IV, both in C and F (or Am and Dm). 110bpm. For those interested:

Ok - you rock for two reasons:

1. doing this and offering it up to the group
    2. using Google to distribute. Huge fan.

But 110? Seriously? Seriously? How about 85 for us slackers??? (just giving you a hard time).

Thanks for doing this...added to my playlist, for sure.

Brian

User Info Menu

110 is right at the edge of my ability now - I felt I ought to start pushing things, since I'm getting too comfortable. You can always put them into Trascribe and slow them down. :-) And doesn't WMP have a variable play speed option?

User Info Menu

110 is right at the edge of my ability now - I felt I ought to start pushing things, since I'm getting too comfortable. You can always put them into Trascribe and slow them down. :-) And doesn't WMP have a variable play speed option?
    No - you did this right. I'm just goofing. Good idea using transcribe, though.

Thanks Jeff.

Brian

User Info Menu

I've created 5-minute MP3 soundfiles (made in BiAB) for each of Situations I-IV, both in C and F (or Am and Dm). 110bpm. For those interested:

These will be great for practicing with, thanks for sharing! I'm not quite up to 110bpm with these exercises yet, but it's easy enough to adjust the tempo and it gives me something to aim for.

Thanks to fep for sharing his backing tracks too! 85bpm is closer to where I'm at, especially with pattern III, which I only started working on recently. I'm looking to add a bit of variety to my practicing, all these backing tracks will help a lot.

User Info Menu

Just thought i would mention,these short chord progressions like the ones in Elliotts book are what i find my looping pedal the most useful for.Within a few seconds i can have the chords looping and can begin playing arps or soloing over them.It is also great for playing duets on my own.My looping pedal is the best thing i ever bought as a learning aid.

User Info Menu

Good point, Ginger. I have a Jamman but I barely ever use it. For whatever reason I always have a difficult time trying to figure it out. But the added benefits of also playing the comps is definitely a plus.

Kojo: does VLC do CDDB lookups so you don't have to input your album information manually every time?

User Info Menu

Is there anyplace online to see the chords to these exercises you guys are posting? Just ordered my book today. thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kofblz
    Is there anyplace online to see the chords to these exercises you guys are posting? Just ordered my book today. thx
    Hi kofblz. Welcome to the group. Jeff might be able to help you out with the introductory chapters of the book while you wait for yours to arrive. You can also check out the interactive arpeggio tool I built as a study aid for the book. It's located here

Have fun!
    Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onetruevibe
    Hi kofblz. Welcome to the group. Jeff might be able to help you out with the introductory chapters of the book while you wait for yours to arrive. You can also check out the interactive arpeggio tool I built as a study aid for the book. It's located here

Have fun!
    Brian
    Thanks Brian. Interesting tool you have there.

User Info Menu

Here is another one on the chord changes of "Solar" that I did for a colleague in another thread. This is interesting as it has a mmaj7 arpeggio which is not part of the repertoire that we have practiced so far.

hi guys,

love this study group sorry to be a tight arse but can anyone give me the situation chord sequences. cheers.
    steve ( always new I was a T.. man making loads of boobs!)

hi again,
    just found the little attachment with the situations downloaded and time to practice
    great job Frank

User Info Menu

I was thinking the connecting game would be good to practice on bass. Change the eighth notes to quarter notes and it's not to bad for a walking bass line.

I've heard bass players use the term 'root bound' which means playing the root on beat one too often. This is a good exercise to use to get away from always playing the root on the one.

hi Guys,

really enjoying this group decided to buy the book but can't seem to find a download version. Bit of a nomad at the moment, Brit abroad, mainly vietnam,
    so no postal address, hence a hard copy useless. looking at feps vids and post i think I am working on chapter 5. (2/5/1/ with subs) but getting a bit lost. Any ideas would be a great help.
    Cheers Steve

User Info Menu

The dreaded Pattern III.

I mostly reached for the B note at the 4th string 9th fret as opposed to the 3rd string 4th fret. I think that's a better way to go about it.
    "It absolutely is a better way to go about it, grasshopper."

Respects,

Ghost of W. Leavitt