The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 95

User Info Menu

It's out (almost)! Dave (TruthHertz) has been talking about this for a while, and Tim's had it on his web site ("Coming Soon!") forever, but here it is for pre-order: Amazon.com: Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar - Berklee Press Book/Cd (9780876391280): Mick Goodrick, Tim Miller: Books

I heard the publisher was "releasing" it at NAMM this week, so it should be ready on Amazon soon (I hope).

Marc

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm on a waiting list for it at the Berklee book store. Interested to see its content, but I've never been much of a book guy.

Some people are certainly excited about it!

User Info Menu

Yes it's out, or in the pipeline for shipping, and if there's a promotional 1 stop tour in Boston (if Mick and Tim do a concert or in-store duo) I'll mention it on this thread. It looks promising.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 01-19-2012 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Definitely excited-I didn't know this was coming out. Didn't Goodrick release a bunch of Van Eps-esque books of tons of voicings? I seem to remember that was his thing after the Advancing Guitarist. He's such a great thought provoking guitarist! I've got his Guitar Player articles, and might just upload them onto my website... hmm.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to the book! And to Samrsmiley about the Mick Goodrick Guitar Player articles...yes please!

Nuff Said Guest
    Does Mick Goodrick still teach at Berklee, he taught Julian Lage and many others.

BERKLEE | Berklee Today

Nuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    Does Mick Goodrick still teach at Berklee, he taught Julian Lage and many others.

BERKLEE | Berklee Today

Nuff
    He does indeed. Julian, Wolfgang, Krantz, Sco, Nir Felder, Larry Baione the head of the Guitar department, Emily Remler and the list goes on. Quite a resume. And he's always got a new project in the works. Tim and Mick are both there.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 01-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

For those within reach of Boston, up for a rare and most likely never happen again event, Mick is coming out of retirement for one night. A quartet co-led by Mick and Tim Miller, (both Paul Motian guitarists) at a club called Johnny D's in Somerville. Feb 21st. It's a Tuesday. They're promoting the book. But it's a 2 set evening of music; want to see Mick and Tim do standards? Their tunes too. Just wanted any of you to know.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    For those within reach of Boston, up for a rare and most likely never happen again event, Mick is coming out of retirement for one night. A quartet co-led by Mick and Tim Miller, (both Paul Motian guitarists) at a club called Johnny D's in Somerville. Feb 21st. It's a Tuesday. They're promoting the book. But it's a 2 set evening of music; want to see Mick and Tim do standards? Their tunes too. Just wanted any of you to know.
    David
    Curse you, David, for telling those of us outside the area about this gig!!

Man, that will be amazing! David, will you be doing your official sound engineering/taping of the gig????

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    David
    I saw him there (johnny d's) about 15 years ago with gary chaffee on drums. There were 4 people there including myself. The other 3 were berklee guys i was friends with. Awesome playing....sad there was nobody there.
    Last edited by djangoles; 01-30-2012 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Curse you, David, for telling those of us outside the area about this gig!!

Man, that will be amazing! David, will you be doing your official sound engineering/taping of the gig????

Marc
    Nothing but watching and enjoying! By the way, the book is at the binder's at this point. I guess that means boxing and shipping will be very soon.
    Soon.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 02-01-2012 at 10:02 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll definitely be there, damn.

User Info Menu

It's out. Any impressions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SearchForMeaning
    It's out. Any impressions?
    It was available for pre-order from Amazon, and then magically it was on back order! I went ahead and ordered from my local bookstore, so hopefully it'll get here this week.

Marc

User Info Menu

I look forward to it as well.

User Info Menu

Any page I randomly flip to and read through is jaw-dropping. This book is like the next generation pedal board for your fingers. NOBODY plays stuff like this.
    Hey anybody else notice that Amazon seriously under ordered this book? It was presold, sold for a day and then sold out. WTF?

User Info Menu

Any page I randomly flip to and read through is jaw-dropping. This book is like the next generation pedal board for your fingers. NOBODY plays stuff like this.
    Hey anybody else notice that Amazon seriously under ordered this book? It was presold, sold for a day and then sold out. WTF?
    Quit it! I'm still waiting for mine. And yes, I was waiting on Amazon, and then it disappeared! I just ordered from the local book store -- "should" be in this week!

User Info Menu

Yes, I order it from Amazon and realized they under ordered, but I think they may have fixed it. I placed my order on Feb 1st and the estimated delivery date was between Feb 24th and Mar 7th. But yesterday I got a note saying they moved up the date and I should get it by Feb 13th, so I"m assuming they just received additional stock and are shipping it out.

User Info Menu

I ordered mine as well. It is back ordered, but I can wait.

User Info Menu

SearchForMeaning - are you in Boston? They just got in at the Berklee book store yesterday, I picked up my copy.

For anybody curious, I think the gist of it is kind of like triad pairs on crack...rather than pairing actual triads to imply a harmony (for either comping or soloing) it takes all possible pairs of groups of three notes in a scale, omitting the root. Apologies if that's an incorrect interpretation, that's just my understanding so far.

Pretty dense and advanced stuff. I don't have any plan to work through it all any time soon - I feel like there are more rudimentary things I'd like to get in my fingers and ears first.

I'm interested to hear what people wind up doing with this book. As there's a lot of excitement, I hope to hear people giving the material their own personal spin.

User Info Menu

Hey there
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci

For anybody curious, I think the gist of it is kind of like triad pairs on crack...rather than pairing actual triads to imply a harmony (for either comping or soloing) it takes all possible pairs of groups of three notes in a scale, omitting the root. Apologies if that's an incorrect interpretation, that's just my understanding so far.
    Yeah that's it. But not necessarily triads built in 3rds, 3 note groupings. So you hear splashes of sounds, colours if you will, that change when the next triad is played. The overall effect is a texture that covers the modal implication of that change without ever actually playing the obvious 1 3 5 triad. It's all there but it's melodic and totally surprizing. Arpeggiate them and you've got a wild roller coaster ride that allows you to play very complex lines and sounds with only thinking 2 triads. Pretty neat. Or that's what I get from it anyway. Like all Goodrick books, he puts it out there and deftly avoids any hand holding. You make it yours and nobody will sound like you.
    What do you think of the Tim Miller examples?
    By the way, the show on the 21st will begin at 8, a long set with Mick and maybe another with just Tim leading as a trio. John Lockwood and Terri Lyne Carrington complete the group.
    David

User Info Menu

The playing is beautiful. Definitely unlike anything I've heard before, and gives me a lot more appreciation for the Tim CD I have - those voicings he uses I think are much heavier than just "hey, sounds cool when I put my fingers here."

For those who don't have it yet - the CD is entirely just the examples in the book except for the first track which I believe is Mick and Tim duo on Stella...it's quite an arrangement. I think of it kind of like a modern jazz guitar dream factory or something.

And yeah, groups of three notes, but not necessarily "triads."

David, are you planning much practice with this material? Do you have a plan of attack or have you already been working with it? If so, I'm sure people who are receiving the book and eager to actually work on the material (rather than glossing it over and stroking my beard like I'm doing!) would benefit from discussion of how to tackle this behemoth.

User Info Menu

Yeah David, I would dig hearing your thoughts on this approach as well.
    Last edited by brwnhornet59; 02-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    David, are you planning much practice with this material? Do you have a plan of attack or have you already been working with it?
    Yes, I have no idea of how, but this is a must do. Discussion/work group would be great to start, maybe in a month or so when there's been some time for the water to soak into the ground. In the meanwhile, triad facility!
    David

User Info Menu

sounds interesting.

Is it somehow similar to Vic Juris' chords book? The stuff you guys mentioned kind of reminded me of that. Great book by the way.