The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaterpig
    All the information I have on Wes' system was taught to me by Berklee professor Richie Hart. He's a well known expert on Wes, having studied with George Benson for a decade. He explains it all in the Wes Montgomery lab at Berklee.
    Oh, I see. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm constantly blown away by how often I hear somebody do something that sounds "awesome" to me only to transcribe it and find out that the notes I thought were so cool sounding were actually just chord tones that were noticeably out of tune. Major 7ths over dominants is one of the most common sounds in soloing post 1965. not as easy to analyze in a book, but thats why most books are lame.

It's really remarkable how true that is.

Wes even played major 3rd on minor 7th chords. When you hear it, it just sounds like some sort of outside sound, doesn't sound "wrong" at all. It's really crazy how some artists are able to do that.

Check out Wes' solo over 'No Blues' (Smokin' at the Half Note). He puts major 7ths on dominants and major 3rds on minor 7ths all over the place.

An example of each:

At 0:45 he plays an F#maj7 arp. over a D7 (C# = Maj7 of D7)

At 0:47 he plays a B natural over a Gm7.

Last edited by bluewaterpig; 12-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaterpig
    All the information I have on Wes' system was taught to me by Berklee professor Richie Hart. He's a well known expert on Wes, having studied with George Benson for a decade. He explains it all in the Wes Montgomery lab at Berklee.
    Does he have a book or video lesson on the subject? I'm a die hard Wes fan!