The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    That could indeed be fun......I'll bite....

Click here
    Very nice playing. I can hear the Chet, a bit of Les Paul and maybe some George Barnes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Everyone says if Eric Dolphy played guitar, I wouldn't sound like him at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Everyone says if Eric Dolphy played guitar, I wouldn't sound like him at all.
    Kind of reminds me of the time I was compared to Joe Pass...

Somebody told me, "Compared to Joe Pass you're awful!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    nice playing man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    nice playing man!
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Don't know really...

I have some Grant Green, Wes, and Charlie Christian in me but not so much that anyone can tell. I dig Mike Moreno's tone and choice of intervals- and Van Itterson knocks me out all around.

I really enjoy horn and piano jazz much more than guitar jazz, and I can assume my main influences are from those instruments. Who knows-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmstritt
    Kind of reminds me of the time I was compared to Joe Pass...

Somebody told me, "Compared to Joe Pass you're awful!"
    Lol!

Yeah, I think the real question is, "Which famous jazz guitarist is really trying to sound like me?"

User Info Menu

I never gave that a thought. I had one person say Larry Carlton (not quite jazz) and person who was perhaps the only adult in a Guitar Center one day say Chuck Wayne. Both compliments for sure.

User Info Menu

Click here
    Certainly heard a hank garland line in there! Nice playing man

User Info Menu

Mr B - I checked your site, listened to Sweet Sue and Stella, I'll check more later - you kinda gave the game away regarding your influences in your earlier post though - Django, Johnny Smith, Ed Bickert - lovely playing on both tracks and yeah - schizo!!!

Soco - I have no idea who your influences are having listened to 'Oleo' but whoever they are, they would approve - really exciting, happening playing.

A big thanks to those of you who took the trouble to listen and comment on my effort - I found it interesting that a couple of folks named Howard Roberts as a perceived influence on how I play, since I've hardly heard any of him - maybe I should check him out

User Info Menu

I was on a break at a gig in Seattle's Pioneer Square on night when this guy comes up to me & says "Hi. I just caught that last set. I thought you sounded just like Kurt Rosenwinkle." I said "Thank you very much. I understand Kurt is quite an accomplished musician." He says, "I hate Kurt Rosenwinkle. He always sounds like he's got rubber cement on his fingertips."
    I shook his hand anyway & introduced myself. He said "My name is John Scofield. I was just leaving for the airport & realized my wallet has been stolen & I have no cash or cards on me. Can I borrow five dollars?" When I opened my wallet he saw that all I had was a $20, he said, "That's cool, too."
    We talked for about ten or fifteen minutes about jazz & the many famous people he's had the opportunity to play with. He bummed a smoke & then took off walking.
    Later, when I tried to contact him through his managment, I was sent this message:
    Mr Scofield says he does not know you & does not recall having ever met you at any point. Furthermore, he was not in Seattle on the date you gave us. Any further attempts to contact Mr. Scofield concerning this matter will result in legal action.
    So I guess I got the point. BTW- John doesn't look anything like his photos. He has long dark hair parted in the middle & stands about 5'6".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    Later, when I tried to contact him through his managment, I was sent this message:
    Mr Scofield says he does not know you & does not recall having ever met you at any point. Furthermore, he was not in Seattle on the date you gave us. Any further attempts to contact Mr. Scofield concerning this matter will result in legal action.
    If you look at Scofield's website he doesn't seem like most friendly person in the world. It says in about 15 different places to not send a demo, JOhn doesn't want to listen to or comment on your music, and his gig recording policies are listed in several different places.

Just my observation.

There are great players everywhere, I don't see how anyone can have an ego with the sheer number of moster players out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    I was on a break at a gig in Seattle's Pioneer Square on night when this guy comes up to me & says "Hi. I just caught that last set. I thought you sounded just like Kurt Rosenwinkle." I said "Thank you very much. I understand Kurt is quite an accomplished musician." He says, "I hate Kurt Rosenwinkle. He always sounds like he's got rubber cement on his fingertips."
    I shook his hand anyway & introduced myself. He said "My name is John Scofield. I was just leaving for the airport & realized my wallet has been stolen & I have no cash or cards on me. Can I borrow five dollars?" When I opened my wallet he saw that all I had was a $20, he said, "That's cool, too."
    We talked for about ten or fifteen minutes about jazz & the many famous people he's had the opportunity to play with. He bummed a smoke & then took off walking.
    So I guess I got the point. BTW- John doesn't look anything like his photos. He has long dark hair parted in the middle & stands about 5'6".
    That's funny, last year when I met John it was obvious that he was bald, and African American.

Which reminds me, he still has my hedge clippers.

User Info Menu

Kind of reminds me of the time I was compared to Joe Pass........Somebody told me, "Compared to Joe Pass you're awful!"
    Thanks for the laugh...I needed it...a stressful time for me these past few days

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

If you're reading this, Bill Gates, I still want my umbrella back!

User Info Menu

I thought I sounded like west montgomery, but people tell me I sound like montgomery burns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's funny, last year when I met John it was obvious that he was bald, and African American.

Which reminds me, he still has my hedge clippers.

User Info Menu

Click here
    Ah I like that a lot! For me it conjures up listening to Chester and Lester back in my college days....very nice!

User Info Menu

If you look at Scofield's website he doesn't seem like most friendly person in the world. It says in about 15 different places to not send a demo, JOhn doesn't want to listen to or comment on your music, and his gig recording policies are listed in several different places.

Just my observation.

There are great players everywhere, I don't see how anyone can have an ego with the sheer number of moster players out there.
    You can't judge a person based on his website.
    I have met him and he was very cool and friendly.He did take my CD, but said upfront that he don't have time to give feedback-which I totally understand.
    He is a super busy cat and imagine how many people that hands him recordings, probably hundreds. I emailed him once as well and he replied my email.
    I have nothing but good things to say about him based on my brief encounter with him. As you mention there are a lot of monster players out there, but very few are on Scofields level. He is one of the most influential modern jazz guitarists of all times.
    Last edited by Soco; 12-09-2011 at 02:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    I thought I sounded like west montgomery, but people tell me I sound like montgomery burns.
    "Excellent!"

User Info Menu

Just my observation.

I believe Dark Star's post was meant to be a joke ...

Like SoCo, I've had several interactions with Sco, both in person and via email (his wife, too, who is incredibly cool!); he was always very pleasant and professional. Of course, I'm smart enough not to "bug" him with questions about scales, gear, etc.

The vast majority of pros I've met at gigs and elsewhere have been quite humble and gracious, and appreciate the fact that you're coming out to a club to listen to them. Even the cats who seemed unapproachable turned out to be cool.

User Info Menu

Yes, certainly. My post (& probably 99% of the rest of my posts) was only meant as an attempt at some humor.
    Please, anyone who thinks they've found yet another thing to argue about, go get on the Internet instead.

User Info Menu

I sound like me. Maybe when I get better, I'll sound like someone else. I love lots of jazz musicians, but my favorites are not guitar players. I'd love to be able to play guitar like Wayne Shorter plays sax.

User Info Menu

I used to want to play guitar like Bill Evans played piano. Then it was Keith Jarrett. Then it was Ahmad Jamal. Now it is Thelonious Monk. I guess I should have taken up piano, lol

User Info Menu

Well let's see... for me Pat Metheny, George Benson, and Pat Martino are the 3 players who influenced my jazz playing style the most.Joe Pass instructional materials helped me gain the fretboard knowledge I was after. Hearing Jimmy Bruno and transcribing some of his licks really helped open my ears up to some new ideas.

I've spent many hours hovering over transcriptions and recordings from those great players as well as horn players like Hubbard, Byrd, and Coltrane. Still when I listen to recordings of my playing it still comes out sounding, not like anybody else, but just like me. How did that happen???