The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

"David Baker himself has said that if you know the heads to 50 be-bop tunes you are probably straight...don't need more info."

This is a quote from a thread at the AAJ site.

Whadda you guys think? Make sense?

No doubt learning as many heads as possible could only be a benefit. But would that make you "straight" and you'd need no more info?

Surely jazz is more than just heads?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No doubt there's gold in them thar heads! However - I bet DB said that a long time ago and music has moved on a bit since then. Learning 50 bop heads will give you some vocab but you won't be able to hang on modern tunes. Even if all you want to play is straight bop, I'd still say that 50 bop heads doesn't cover it all, no way.

User Info Menu

hmmm...d.b. gives a specific list of 55 bebop heads as essential "for memorization"...my guess would be--learn those 55 by memory at performance tempo (maybe in several keys )--and see what that does for ya...

User Info Menu

I prefer to learn the vocab in many of the solos that follow the head, but then, I'm more into hard bop than bebop....

User Info Menu

I think DB is right on, especially if you analyze the heads and understand why they work in relation to the underlying chords.

Can anyone point me to that list? I know, I guess I could buy his book...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kman
    I think DB is right on, especially if you analyze the heads and understand why they work in relation to the underlying chords.
    I read somewhere that he (DB) thinks of everything as licks: We learn licks all the time and we're always searching for the killer lick, right? Thus the very best licks evolve and become tunes (heads). Makes sense and a nice way of thinking, imo. Keep a book of your very best licks and turn 'em into tunes...that's what Monk and all the greats did...

User Info Menu

Heads are best...the solos, ideally, are reflections of the melodies. Gotta know the melodies! Goldmine of vocabulary in even Charlie Parker heads alone.

Another cool thing about learning heads over solos is that the heads are actually composed - there was more thought and intention put into them...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Goldmine of vocabulary in even Charlie Parker heads alone.
    +1. Bird's very best licks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    I read somewhere that he (DB) thinks of everything as licks: We learn licks all the time and we're always searching for the killer lick, right? Thus the very best licks evolve and become tunes (heads). Makes sense and a nice way of thinking, imo. Keep a book of your very best licks and turn 'em into tunes...that's what Monk and all the greats did...
    I agree. I think allot of the best heads evolve from licks that have a good hook. I think sometimes jazz players today get it backwards. They think that the head is some annoying obligatory thing that has to be played for the listener so they can move on to improvisation. What is overlooked, is that the quality of the improvisation is really measured by how it relates to the head. Thats is what makes tunes different. it's also why the old standards live on.

Good melodic playing seems to be getting lost in the theory. It seems that there is more thought given to addressing chord progressions these days and hoping that something interesting falls out.

All this to say ... yes, learn the heads ... They have allot more to offer than you think. Craftsmanship.

Sorry, got a bit editorial.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaluk
    Not so. Very well said, indeed. I keep coming back to Monk when I think of this whole subject. If you listen to any of his solos, you'll hear the head referenced in every lick he plays.

Well Baker's books are pretty widely praised from what I've gathered over the internet. So I ordered "How To Play Bebop" volumes 1 - 3. Not bad price wise. Each one is under $11.
    Last edited by KeyLime; 09-27-2011 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree. I think allot of the best heads evolve from licks that have a good hook. I think sometimes jazz players today get it backwards. They think that the head is some annoying obligatory thing that has to be played for the listener so they can move on to improvisation. What is overlooked, is that the quality of the improvisation is really measured by how it relates to the head. Thats is what makes tunes different. it's also why the old standards live on.

Good melodic playing seems to be getting lost in the theory. It seems that there is more thought given to addressing chord progressions these days and hoping that something interesting falls out.

All this to say ... yes, learn the heads ... They have allot more to offer than you think. Craftsmanship.

Hallelujah!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeyLime
    Well Baker's books are pretty widely praised from what I've gathered over the internet. So I ordered "How To Play Bebop" volumes 1 - 3. Not bad price wise. Each one is under $11.
    Dude, you need the bebop cookbook. Check it out under some of the older threads.

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    Dude, you need the bebop cookbook. Check it out under some of the older threads.
    I just went to the site. Whew!! The articles are deep! Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Thanks. It will serve as a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    hmmm...d.b. gives a specific list of 55 bebop heads as essential "for memorization"...my guess would be--learn those 55 by memory at performance tempo (maybe in several keys )--and see what that does for ya...
    So randall enlighten me. What is the specific list?

User Info Menu

Cool. Thanks Joe!

User Info Menu

really good summary;

For me it's a matter of keeping this in mind. It's also not as easy for me to do this, as it is to know that it's right, that it works, and that it helps to remember the melody, and use it.

My habit is to just lapse into random scales arpeggios and patterns, and hope something interesting falls out. sometimes it does, often it doesn't.

That list of Baker recommendations got me searching YouTube and I've playlisted about half of them so far. Really amazing cuts.

A common theme throughout is Parker. Even the cuts that aren't written by him seem highly influenced by "His Birdness".

Seems as if you might just load up on Parker heads only and get Baker's point - Bebop goes through Parker?