The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=briancristopher;169834]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzzr
    Anybody used this book? I recently picked it up, and am wondering if anyone has any experience that they could share.

Thx! I downloaded a video of his at TRUEFIRE guitar tuition. He seemed very very passionate and experienced as both a guitarist and a teacher. The video was about Bill Evans style rootless voicings, basically 3rds and 7ths.....it took me back how powerful and useful this concept is....kind of impressionist...its changing the way I play ( slowly ). I think the book MUST be good, he wouldn't have it in print otherwise.
    Yep, I've been digging into it since this thread began slithering its way into our lives. : ) Just joking.

But it's a jewel of a book. Very, very good. 99 demo tracks on the CD. If you're a virtuoso already (Reg, Jack) you probably don't need it, but if you're still somewhere in the crook of the learning curve, get a copy before it goes out of print. It's a keeper.

kj

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have both of his books, his DVD and I did some studying with Sid and he is the man. I would recommend his stuff to anybody interested. Depending on what you want i.e. lines, phrases, concepts then get the "Complete Book of Lines and Phrases" if you want to work on your unaccompanied guitar chops, get the "Bill Evans" book.

User Info Menu

I recently bought "complete book of lines and phrases"......

highly recommended !

User Info Menu

I just got the Bill Evans book yesterday from the library. It's a book of SJ's arrangements of Bill Evans' compositions.

Looks very challenging to play in time.

Even though I have him on my ignore list, I was amazed to see that Richb made an asshole out of himself again, and

put down SJ without even reading SJ's other book!

He seems to get some type of perverse pleasure out of attacking these fine musicians, and then winds up getting

busted each time. I've seen him do it with Russell Malone, Vic Juris, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow and

others. Vic Juris and Russell Malone busted him on some other jazz forum, and now Sid Jacobs busted him here.

He posted himself playing for a bunch of kiddies on youtube, and I can't understand where he gets this superiority

complex from...

User Info Menu

I was Sid's private student and always will be, and his books are quite advanced, but not impossible for anyone to comprehend. It depends on the attitude of the reader; if one arrogantly thinks that the contents of the book are not compelling, one will get nothing from it. But if taken with patience to really consume everything in just one of his books, one will achieve more than what the book offers in trade of some time that could range from a month to years, depending on one's level.

User Info Menu

The only book of Sid's I have is "The Changes."

http://www.amazon.com/Changes-Guide-...bs+the+changes

There's good stuff in there.

User Info Menu

I just want to say Sid Jacobs is GREAT!

He was one of my GIT teachers and I went to many of his open counselings. I would go to gigs when possible. I have a few of the video classes he's done for Jazz Guitar Society and Mike's Master Classes. I have his books which were the end result of his MI classroom materials. He is a great musician who is constantly studying and exploring boundaries of music.

If you don't like someone books or approach that's fine and normal we all have different tastes, but because you don't like a book or someone approach is no reason to say they suck. There are some great players who I see their names pop up and I have to bite my lip. I might critique something they played or said, but I'll won't say they suck, as I said they are great players that for whatever reason I don't like them.

User Info Menu

I was present the first day Sid Jacobs walked through the doors of GIT and sat down in Joe Diorio's office. I believe it was his first day there because Jean Marc and I were in Joe's office and when Sid looked in through the glass Joe stopped playing, motioned Sid to come in and stood up and gave Sid a big hug and welcome.

Jean Marc and I didn't know Sid from Adam, however, when Sid started playing we knew we sitting in with a Master Guitarist. That week I changed my private instructor from Peter Sprague (no offense to Peter, a master guitarist in his own right) and signed on with Sid Jacobs.

He kicked my butt. Amazing player and great guy.

Please buy the book. However, you can find on Scribd to check it out before you buy it.

Check out his two-line Jimmy Wybel study on youtube.

User Info Menu

It's pretty obvious to me Sid knows what he's doing.