The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

JonR posted a link to one of these here and I really dug it. Watch 'em and be amazed. Great info. The rhythm one is especially fun. Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

very cool. Now *HE* is a master worth taking a class from.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Good stuff, thanks, JP!

User Info Menu

Best money I've spent on a music book, "Forward Motion". The feel in half time almost all the time was worth it alone.

User Info Menu

Yes, Forward Motion is an essential book!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I have great CD "The Hal Galper Quartet" with John Scofield....nice.

User Info Menu

awesome. It's gems like these that make forums like these "worth it."

User Info Menu

This stuff is really inspiring!

User Info Menu

Wow. Thanks for this, Jonny. I just borrowed Hal's book, "Forward Motion", and I am really enjoying it. Either way, thanks for sharing this!

User Info Menu

Yeah, you should have been there - it was an excellent master class. These videos are a great resource and I am glad to have them to revisit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    Wow. Thanks for this, Jonny. I just borrowed Hal's book, "Forward Motion", and I am really enjoying it. Either way, thanks for sharing this!
    Right on... Wanna fill me in on it a bit? I might like to read it.

User Info Menu

Bump

User Info Menu

These classes are relevant to many current topics here... bump.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    This is the one that really kicked my ass the first time you posted it, JonnyPac. I'm a different person because of it. I practice differently, play differently, teach differently. In a year or so I think I"ll write my own take on this concept (having corresponded a bit with Galper, having studied Kochevitsky's book, and now studying others that Kochevitsky has led me to, I'm beginning to brim over with ideas about how this can specifically apply to guitar.)

Listen to Galper, guys - get the Kochevitsky book at Amazon for $10. It's almost the power of visualization, all over again. The vividly-imagined doth manifest.

Thanks JP. : )

kj

User Info Menu

I just ordered it. Thanks again, KJ.

User Info Menu

I just finished Hal Galper's book Forward Motion. It is GREAT! Pick it up ASAP. It's so overlooked, I can't believe it. Don't wait.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    I just finished Hal Galper's book Forward Motion. It is GREAT! Pick it up ASAP. It's so overlooked, I can't believe it. Don't wait.
    What, in your opinion, is the one thing that he talks about that has made an impact on your playing? I do own the book, and I've read through it, but I haven't yet practiced the things he recommends.

User Info Menu

It's a great philosophy of applied jazz theory with science and experience to back it up- I'll start a thread on it soon and add some text excerpts that I found profound.

If I had to pick one thing, I'd go with his idea of ONE being the release beat (point of finality) instead of the beginning. Everything is a pick-up!

User Info Menu

Man, thank you SO much for posting these. I've been struggling trying to get back into playing the last couple of years and this is exactly what I needed to hear to get me back to it. "Can you dig it?"...."Yeah man, I can dig it!"

User Info Menu

Glad you dig it!!! Get Forward Motion for an inspiring read.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just to be clear, this quote is not from his book Forward Motion.

I also purchased the online Forward Motion, been stuck on first chapter for a while...lol So many other things to practice. We should have a Forward Motion thread where we can talk about how we are doing with the concept.
    ken