The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

That'd be great. When you are done, let me know. We'll kick it off.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Yeah i'll contact you in a few yrs
    Ken

User Info Menu

Lol. I read it in a weekend! But, yes, there are years worth of great advice and concepts in there. I still need to play through a lot of the examples and check out the media site it refers to.

User Info Menu

I'm just now starting to work on Forward Motion. It seems to ask a lot from a player, and it can feel crippling at first, but it definitely makes better music. I am a bit reluctant to put aside my old techniques and instincts, but it must be done, I suppose.

User Info Menu

The skill that is truly difficult (IMHO) is the ability to superimpose alternate meters and harmonies in counterintuitive ways... It is done though (by Hal and other virtuoso masters). I just think that that stuff is on another level for most musicians and not as fundamental as many other topics in the book. Many jazz "greats" did not go there, but still made amazingly creative and groovy music. I'm pushing myself towards a basic set of superimposition devices and harmonic FM, but nothing too taxing. I am still glad that he explained the methods and concepts in that chapter so well; Food for thought and somewhere to go if I ever reach that point!

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking around the forum for quite a while and i must say I've neglected my guitar for quite a while due to mainly work, but also other things...

I have been trying to catch time here and there to come back and dedicate some more time to what is my joy and i can say that just listening to Hal has been such an inspiration and a push to go back that i can't even begin describing...

I have started finding that 30 minute window after a 16 hour workday, to sit with my guitar and go to sleep being peaceful and happy...

I've just bought the book also, and i hope it to be all that i found Hal being in the videos above...

He just simply 'talks' to me... love it...

PS. hope I wasn't to melodramatic for my first post and you'll forgive me, but I really feel like that

Yeah we should have a Forward Motion Thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    Yeah we should have a Forward Motion Thread
    For sure!

Welcome babke! Hal speaks to me too! Glad you dig it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    Welcome babke! Hal speaks to me too! Glad you dig it!
    Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

Bump!