The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4thstuning
    So why these tunes are popular with the fretboard crowd makes an interesting question.
    I think Stella, ATTYA, and Autumn Leaves are loved by lots of non-guitarists. It wasn't guitarists who *made* them standards! My only surprise (so far, and only a few precincts have reported, so it's still early in the voting) is that there's not more Ellington. (So far, Satin Doll is it.) I suppose more of his tunes will be played tonight by jazz bands than any other single composer's.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The other surprise to me is that there aren't more tunes based on the rhythm changes.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm kind of a beginner jazz improviser and I've played blues before so my favourites are the ones with blues changes, Mr PC for example.

Mr Pc
    Autumn Leaves
    Satin doll
    Jordu

User Info Menu

My top five tunes to improv over

1. Spain
    2. Mr. P.C.
    3. Blue Bossa
    4. How High The Moon
    5. Stella

User Info Menu

Footprints
    Invitation
    Epistrophy
    Impressions
    Four

User Info Menu

Peel Me A Grape
    'Round Midnight
    Afternoon In Paris
    When Sunny Gets Blue
    Satin Doll

User Info Menu

footprints
    impressions
    evidence
    lets cool one
    scrapple from the apple

User Info Menu

Don't forget to list what you enjoy about each song!
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 02-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't have a few favorites, but I have a least favorite.

I see a lot of guys listing Satin Doll. I find that difficult. It takes so much conentration and effort not to keep getting caught up in repeating the same idea and sounding square. First, with the Dm and Em. Then, again with Am and Abm. I know I need to start a phrase in one key center and end up in the other, but progression is like a trap.

I suppose my top 5 right now are:

1. Nica's Dream - I love playing over those melodic minor chords and that latin to swing feel,,
    2. God Bless the Child - I love ballads like this. I've been listening to Jim hall play this on Sonny Rollins' The Bridge for the past couple weeks. I just love the changes and the simple melody, there's so much room to play,
    3. Any blues are fun to play on, I'd say...I've been doing a lot with Coltrane's "Equinox" and some other minor blues, too,
    4. Round Midnight, or just about any Monk tune for that matter..
    5. So What - I just have to include this if I'm gonna make a top 5. It's always fun for me.

User Info Menu

yesterdays - great song harmonically, love the bluesy/dark feel, works great at any tempo, nice short form, etc

stompin' at the savoy - love playing straight ahead swing over this, not too many chords, just a great guitar tune imo.

ladybird - a new favorite by todd dameron, such an underrated composer!

lover man - love playing this as a bossa nova also love the bluesy melody

most of the great jazz ballads - a chance to show true expression

User Info Menu

Misty-1st song I ever did my own improvisions to
    Nightingale sang in Barkly's square-so moody
    Dark eyes-changing the 3/4 time to 4/4 time
    Scarbourgh Fair-changed to 5/4 time, simple lines
    Lady is a Tramp-because always liked this song
    Of course played on accordion because my guitar playing stinks

User Info Menu

Too many! Right now I'm having fun with

Stablemates
    Along Came Betty
    Celia
    Django
    Reflections

User Info Menu

Mario's right, way too many. It might be easier to list the least favorite tunes.

top 5

You don't know What Love is
    Ceora
    Central Park West
    A Child is Born
    In Your Own Sweet Way

User Info Menu

Top 5

Blue Bossa
    Meditation
    Tune up
    All the things you are
    My one and only love

User Info Menu

Gee, it's always changing within a big pool of tunes. Top of the list this summer is
    A Nightengale Sang In Barkley Square -absolutely gorgeous melodic harmonic ballad of the WWII era, and a nice bridge. The rarely played opening Verse is also worth finding.

Round Midnite- the way this piece breathes! Its phrases are like inhale... exhale, inhale... exhale, inhale... exhale and reflect. Fill of mystery and I play it vastly different every time.

Here There and Everywhere- simplicity and essential beauty, and a bridge that goes to a minor pivot kinda like Night and Day does. Clever boys, good ears.

Witchita Lineman- Jimmy Webb tune that has a harmonic structure that rides like a tall wave, full of its own energy that takes you along. Ben Monder turned me on to Jimmy Webb tunes- Galveston, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Webb is a master of modern songwriting.

Send In The Clowns- Sondheim at his best. A song that is a study in nuance and space. I watched the masterclass video of Sondheim on this song and it challenges the way I phrase.

Detour Ahead- Bill Evans meets Herb Ellis. This tune I can rework and harmonize so many ways and it's so gorgeous that it always comes up sounding like I meant it.

Whoops! getting carried away here, and I just noticed these are somewhat contemporary tunes in the classic mold.
    Nice tunes and good thread guys!
    David

User Info Menu

1.It could happen to you
    2.Love for sale
    3.Time remembered
    4.Central park west
    5.Alice in wonderland

User Info Menu

Solar
    Stella by Starlight
    Blues for Alice
    All the Things You Are
    Blues forms (Mr.PC, Freddie Freeloader, etc).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Mario's right, way too many. It might be easier to list the least favorite tunes.

top 5

You don't know What Love is
    Ceora
    Central Park West
    A Child is Born
    In Your Own Sweet Way
    John, what's wrong with "sweet way?" I've only learned the tune recently, but I think it's swell! Check out Jimmy Mosher, Mick Goodrick, John Lockwood among others playing it here: http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/Jimmy/SweetWay.mp3 (from Casa Valdez Studios: Jimmy Mosher- A True Voice )

Mick's solo is great.