The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    so for nearly all of my time playing as a Jazz guitarist, I have always sat down. It feels comfortable but I think deep down it is laziness. I used to practice sitting down but I think in terms of presentation standing is way better.
    Jonathan Kriesberg says that as he incorporates more pedals it would be easier for him to sit down but he thinks that standing is visually better.
    I tried standing for the first time in a long while today. I can't play as fast as when im sitting down. Not sure why that is but im going to continue standing in preparation for a gig thats coming up.
    Ive had to practice all my tunes at 100bpm so that there is no tension playing different rhythms. and im hoping that in a couple of weeks ill get better. Its hard to do your warm ups standing but I found playing tunes much more enjoyable and I think once you have done three to four hours practice sitting, you can start falling asleep.
    Here is me taking it slowly. I used to be able to play this tune much faster but I had to dial back the tempo quite a lot today
    Last edited by Heybopper; 05-05-2024 at 02:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Classical guitarists don't stand while playing, so why should we? I've done it, and can do it, and don't find it that different from sitting, but at my age standing for a long time becomes tiring. I don't have to, so why punish myself?

User Info Menu

I never looked at a video of Wes Montgomery or Barney Kessel and thought, I only wish they were standing up.

Hi, yes that is very true I had forgot about those videos. I sometimes have to use real pro and when im sitting the audience can't see my guitar or fingers so that was another reason for standing

User Info Menu

It can also help your body get into it better rhythmically to stand. So I think it's beneficial to at least do some standing, don't have to do it all the time.

User Info Menu

Seems to be better for my wrists to be standing, but that's probably different for everyone, given body shape and guitar etc

User Info Menu

Used to stand on stage often, but mostly sitting these days, partly to use pedals, partly for comfort, partly cause it’s easier to be consistent with practicing.

Sometimes, when things got really cookin’ on stage, almost bounced right outta the chair!

I get the optics thing, but then I just think of Wes and Barney. Good for them good for me.

User Info Menu

If the rest of the band is standing, it feels odd to be the only one seated imho. I like to sit though, preferably on a barstool or something like it. A regular low chair or standing is just about equally uncomfortable on stage

User Info Menu

Does this mean the drummer and piano player will be standing as well?