The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Not ALL of them.
    Maybe none of your favorites, maybe one or two.
    But a surprising number of excellent ones who perform in a variety of styles.
    Handy set of references.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll play but first I'll list my favorite off the top of my head:

Wes Montgomery
    George Benson
    Pat Metheny
    Jim Hall

And not jazz

Joey Landreth
    Chris Buck
    Matteo Mancuso
    Larry Carlton
    Lee Ritenour
    Eddi Van Halen
    Eric Johnson

Now to watch the video

Okay... Those that were included in the video.... Larry Carlton and Pat Metheny. Also, Robben Ford who should be on my list.

User Info Menu

I wish that was all it took, cuz then I'd be golden

User Info Menu

I've used the rounded side of the pick since I was in high school. I've never heard anyone else ta;l about it. When I was teaching I encouraged my students to do the same.

User Info Menu

Some even play picks that only have round corners.

"Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-dunlop-jazztone-204-jpg

User Info Menu

Does playing on the round corner tend to steer one's techniques away from rest strokes?

User Info Menu

It makes crossing strings extremely easy, as the pick has to hardly move. However you have less definition and a much rounder tone with less treble. Yet another thing to puzzle us when trying to decide how to hold the pick...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Does playing on the round corner tend to steer one's techniques away from rest strokes?
    Absolutely not. All the Manouche guys play with the round end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I play with the pointy end to give me an excuse for my abject mediocrity

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Otterfan View Post
    Some even play picks that only have round corners.
    Yes, one can buy picks that don't have a sharp tip, mandolin picks are often round: Mandolin picks

"Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-bless-jpg
    Last edited by Mick-7; 04-26-2024 at 04:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Absolutely not. All the Manouche guys play with the round end.

Never knew that, but there must be some exceptions. Joscho Stephan and Olli Soikkeli definitely do not in Troy Grady's extensive filming of their technique.

User Info Menu

I play fingerstyle and could never find a guitar pick I felt comfortable with. Back in the day when I first started playing guitar I used a pick, and it was the rounded corners I used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d View Post
    Never knew that, but there must be some exceptions. Joscho Stephan and Olli Soikkeli definitely do not in Troy Grady's extensive filming of their technique.
    Hello. Joscho Stephan uses the Wegen “Big City” picks.
    Attached Images Attached Images "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_0380-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Gypsy jazz does have some cool pick shapes. The brass shield picks are very interesting. Seems like the common denominator is that they are all heavy/extra heavy.
    Attached Images Attached Images "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_0379-jpeg "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_0383-jpeg "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_0381-jpeg "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_0382-jpeg 

User Info Menu

It's funny, when I hung with the local "gypsy jazz" crowd I found the better players often (not always, but surprisingly often) used simple cheap picks (1.5 and 2mm Dunlops were a hit)...and yes, turned around, particularly when playing rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d View Post
    Well it’s a thing I was told, so … but the guy who told me SHREDS

User Info Menu

After years of messing around with picks of all materials and prices I have come to the conclusion that the 1.5mm - 2mm tortex is best for most things. 0.75 for (American style) rhythm.

Birelli uses 1.5mm IIRC?

User Info Menu

Joe Pass used the pointy end, but he got small picks and then BROKE them, and used the pointy half of the broken pick.

User Info Menu

I round off the tips of mine a bit and it sure makes picking smoother and faster

User Info Menu

Gypsy

A 1" circular pick. Of all the V Picks that I have tried, this is the best sounding, along with the Fusion; otherwise, I find their picks clanky and overly bright. They might be better with some overdrive or distortion rather than a clean, pretty dry signal. I think I don't tend to like polycarbonate as a pick material- I haven't liked any polycarbonate picks from other manufacturers, either.

As for using a plectrum with a rounded shoulder or nose, it makes tremolo easier. That's why mandolin players use rounded picks and I suspect is also why gypsy jazz players use them, as well. Their tradition uses a lot more tremolo. Somewhere out on the Internet there is a PDF of a contemporaneous letter that includes a drawing of Django's own pick; it looks exactly like the Django Guitars USA pic above.

User Info Menu

I only play with the pointy end. It has better tone.

User Info Menu

Both sound different, therefore I use both, adjusting as I go. There's no point in restricting yourself to one sound. It's nice to play, for example, an echoing phrase with a different pick attack.

User Info Menu

because only squares play with the square end?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    because only squares play with the square end?
    I clap on 1 and 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe Pass used the pointy end, but he got small picks and then BROKE them, and used the pointy half of the broken pick.
    I'd never heard that but if it's true, it may have been unintentional, because Joe used to stick the pick in his mouth when he switched to playing fingerstyle (the pick came out for single line soloing), i.e., he may have bitten off, not broken off, the tip of the pick.

Joe was way ahead of his time, he had microplastics in his body long before everyone else, however not from environmental pollution but from plastic picks.