The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

No, Joe had said in a number of interviews that he broke his picks to make them smaller, he said it was just a habit he developed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewNewcastleBud View Post
    No, Joe had said in a number of interviews that he broke his picks to make them smaller, he said it was just a habit he developed.
    Yup - he said it made him feel closer to the strings.

User Info Menu

It’s mentioned here and there’s a photo of Joe holding the pick:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

"Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-img_6496-jpgThese days I'm using a John Petrucci signature Jazz III. (It's a shade wider, longer, and sharper than a standard Jazz III.)
    I pick with a "shoulder" rather than the point.
    "Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-1-jpg"Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-2-jpg"Why Do The World's Best Guitarists Play On the Round Corner?"-3-jpg

Nothing else I've tried works as well for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d View Post
    Never knew that, but there must be some exceptions. Joscho Stephan and Olli Soikkeli definitely do not in Troy Grady's extensive filming of their technique.
    True, Stochelo uses the point too, but in genera many of the younger gypsy jazzers use the shoulder of a 1.5 or 2mm Dunlop unless it's someone who's treating themselves to a Blue Chip or something similarly rounded.

I'd been using the side of a Dunlop Primetone for years, recently switched back to a 2.5 Wegen and then discovered I like the Wegen with my archtops too.

And lately I'm only playing a mix of thumb and finger style on jazz guitars so who knows