The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Bob Brookmeyer refused to play it, along with many other musicians.
    I think it's a great tune, but playing it at 320 or faster just results in playing mechanical finger pattern playing-NOT pre-hearing your lines. Robot music:

Though Trane played it on a few gigs, he said it was more an exercise than a tune he'd call on a gig. But he did say the first four chord could be used as a turn around.
    A lot of musicians refused to play it because it was hard and honestly, there was a lot of push-back against coltrane, much like there was pushback against bird. Many of the post-bird players were annoyed that with Giant Steps and Countdown, Coltrane did to boppers, essentially what Bird did to swing players - which is to create a language that was too complex to play without thousands of hours of study.

And I don't agree about 320 being robotic. Bird played those tempos. It's all what you practice and how old you were when you started playing the language. I totally disagree in any way that trane was robotic.

Sorry bruv, we'll have to agree to disagree here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    A lot of musicians refused to play it because it was hard and honestly, there was a lot of push-back against coltrane, much like there was pushback against bird. Many of the post-bird players were annoyed that with Giant Steps and Countdown, Coltrane did to boppers, essentially what Bird did to swing players - which is to create a language that was too complex to play without thousands of hours of study.

And I don't agree about 320 being robotic. Bird played those tempos. It's all what you practice and how old you were when you started playing the language. I totally disagree in any way that trane was robotic.

Sorry bruv, we'll have to agree to disagree here.
    I didn't say that Trane was robotic, just that playing it at 320 is robotic for everyone except Trane. He sounded great! I had early exposure to Trane because my sister studied with Jimmy Garrison,
    I spent two months only playing Giant Steps at 320. I got so I could play it in my sleep. Then I went to a club to sit in at an open jam run by a bass player I knew.
    He said they were going to warm up with a blues. I tried to solo on the blues, and I couldn't hear anything in my head to play on a blues!
    It scared the hell out of me! All I could play was Giant Steps at 320! That's when I realized there were ear players, and there were other players. I'm an ear player.
    It literally took me a week to recover. Never again!

User Info Menu

Now there's a talented robot, could very well be the next YouTube star music educator!

"It literally took me a week to recover"

The medical term for that is PTSD, i.e., Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. But in this instance it's PTGSD - Post Traumatic Giant Steps Syndrome, a little known and frequently misdiagnosed disease that afflicted many jazz musicians in the early 1960's after Coltrane's album was released.

I've heard older renditions of the tune in which they played the standard changes on the head but a simplified version of them for soloing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Now there's a talented robot, could very well be the next YouTube star music educator!

"It literally took me a week to recover"

The medical term for that is PTSD, i.e., Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. But in this instance it's PTGSD - Post Traumatic Giant Steps Syndrome, a little known and frequently misdiagnosed disease that afflicted many jazz musicians in the early 1960's after Coltrane's album was released.

I've heard older renditions of the tune in which they played the standard changes on the head but a simplified version of them for soloing.
    Yeah, it was tough; there were no Giant Steps Clinics back then, and i had to spend a week on my own going cold turkey...