The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    On your dodecaphonic idea, it has an application for us "middling" players that I don't hear talked about much. My problem is that I've just hit the ceiling when it comes to chops and technique. My hands can't go any faster than 180-200 bpm. I will never rip lightning lines all over the place.
    Sweep-picking is often used to play such lines, as in Jack's "sheets of sound" concept. It's an easier way to play them. Have you tried it? Might help you break your speed limit (if we hear a loud sonic boom, we'll know it's you). I think Howard Roberts is the first guy I heard make extensive use of it for "outside" lines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

jzucker, Thank you for the positivity!
    So very refreshing.
    The first teacher in my life that taught theory…I was playing some progression and he was demonstrating some lead licks. I stopped in mid progression and reminded him “but you can’t play that!”
    He said “What if that is what I wanted to say?” and demonstrated it again.
    I was perfect, again.
    He then said “Remember, it’s music theory, NOT music law”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    ....I mean I have definite tastes - and I think having strong tastes is important for forming your own musical identity - so there’s loads of players that don’t do it for me (there are many players also that I don’t personally connect with, but do respect) and when people gush about one of these guys I’m not into, it’s tempting to respond negatively. I’ve done that over the years lol.

But I think all that does is make me look bad.

.... And if you are on that path yourself, I think you have to respect the effort that goes into playing this daft boondoggle of an instrument to a high level. Show me a player of this music that hasn’t worked incredibly hard.
    Totally with this. If I hear something that isn't up my ally I just say nothing. And when someone slags a DutchBopper or a Zucker or a MacKillop for EGs, it seems pretty clear to me they don't play.

We've had some goof-bags over the years. I sometimes think I see a 23 year old guy sitting there in his undies, eating Captain Crunch and typing out stuff he thinks sounds cool from his mom's basement.