The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Hey prince...

Personally... articulations at slower tempos are different than at fast tempos. By that I mean... the targets or notes that are the most important of melodic lines ... changes at different tempos.

Yes, this becomes more and more apparent the more I do this. It's one thing to achieve even timing with the economy picking in slo-mo, but for me it seems to be at the expense of dynamic articulation - ie, the accents in the line get all fucked up . And that is proving harder than the timing.... like, the test for whether I'm doing it right is to play the slo-mo line at double speed. It should sound better than my playing at that double speed. It doesn't because the articulation is wrong.

I'll persist with this until I know if it's helping my overall economy technique, but I'm hoping that working on slo-mo articulation and well as timing will lead to greater pick control at all tempi. At any rate, strange that you (Reg) seem to be the only one interested in how I fare, seems to me you probably went through this kind of thing decades ago...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Yes, this becomes more and more apparent the more I do this. It's one thing to achieve even timing with the economy picking in slo-mo, but for me it seems to be at the expense of dynamic articulation - ie, the accents in the line get all fucked up . And that is proving harder than the timing.... like, the test for whether I'm doing it right is to play the slo-mo line at double speed. It should sound better than my playing at that double speed. It doesn't because the articulation is wrong.

I'll persist with this until I know if it's helping my overall economy technique, but I'm hoping that working on slo-mo articulation and well as timing will lead to greater pick control at all tempi. At any rate, strange that you (Reg) seem to be the only one interested in how I fare, seems to me you probably went through this kind of thing decades ago...
    LOL yea prince... I did go through picking issues a long time ago .... like 60+ years ago. I was playing in bands and one of them had standard Tpt./Ten.. front line and I had to play lots of fast lines with them, lots of arrangement etc...

was kind of a sink or swim thing.... I was lucky to get occasional lessons from a touring B3 players... and I became aware of the strong weak reference with articulation thing. Funny how my lessons were from a Pn. player, (B3)

Keep at it.... You really need picking chops to articulate... which leads to having good time and feeling.