The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Not necessarily the solution, for many reasons. Of course it's so dependent on what is being played, for example, if you learned Martino style lines, but with lots of slurs, it may not sound as compelling. Sometimes lines "pop" more with more picking, and sometimes they sound boring or stiff without slurs and slides (imagine alt picking Holdsworth lines?).

I always try things as many ways as I can, and in the end just go with what feels and sounds best. It's a science long before it begins to resemble art!
    Martino slurred.

Everyone slurs. It’s an important aspect of jazz guitar phrasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Martino slurred.

Everyone slurs. It’s an important aspect of jazz guitar phrasing.

What's my old line?

Guitarists be like "i WaNt To SoUnD lIkE a HoRn!" (proceeds to pick every note)

User Info Menu

I've found descending slurs (legato) to be the most difficult to get the timing synchronisation correct.

I practice them with these type of 6 note descending lines.

I'm just picking once per bar. (Notated by the P.)

See below:
    Let's talk about Synchronisation-legato-6-note-png

User Info Menu

I mean I don't think hammer ons and pull offs automatically sound horn like. Unless you have pretty monstrous control of your left hand, there are mechanical limitations that require somewhat arbitrary use of pick strokes that aren't going to match the deliberate way horn players can use slurs. Pull offs have a weird warbly sound that's unique to guitar. Strings of slurred notes tend to decay in a way that a horn wouldn't.

Also, you can get a huge variety of sounds out of picked notes. Picking doesn't have to have Paul Gilbert level attack and ferocity. Economy picking can sound very smooth and legato. Maybe even more legato, or at least uniform, because of the more consistent note timbre and volume.

Ultimately, a guitar is gonna sound like a guitar no matter what you do. Explore all the possibilities and find what mechanically and sonically does what you want. If that's all hammers and pull offs, or picking, or a mix of them, then do that.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I mean you don’t have to slur that much. That’s a separate approach. I don’t really play that way.

But incorporating slurs in lines in a way that’s informed by horn articulation is the most common approach among straightahead players and it has the trade off making things a bit easier on the left hand. It affects fingerings and so on though. Don’t try to play bebop in position; use your intuition and musical judgement…

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    ... Don’t try to play bebop in position; use your intuition and musical judgement…

Yeah, most boppers like to play horizontal lines, but forcing yourself to stay in position, while sometimes harder, has the payoff where the ideas, devices, lines etc can become "moveable". If you have an idea if F that starts in the first position, and ends on the 13th, you ain't gonna be able to play that in Eb! Anyway, you can still slur and slide aplenty whilst staying within a fret or 2 of a designated position