The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 145 of 145

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    Note that the original post said THE MOST. If one-of-the-most was stated, I doubt anyone would have pushed back.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The most-popular twentieth-century song is probably Yesterday. Discovering the most popular jazz song of the twentieth century would mean counting sales figures for numerous recordings by various artists. The best-selling recording of a jazz song is the Dave Brubeck Quartet's Take Five, according to most authorities.

Ted Gioia, who wrote the book on standards, gave JazzWax his list of ten "milestone works that have continued to provide a benchmark for jazz improvisers over several generations" They are:

I Got Rhythm
    Body and Soul
    St. Louis Blues
    All the Things You Are
    Round Midnight
    How High the Moon
    Caravan
    Take the A Train
    Star Dust
    My Funny Valentine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    [FONT=book antiqua]The most-popular twentieth-century song is probably Yesterday.
    I thought I read some where that it's actually happy birthday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And then you gotta do it in the original key too
    Very nice first chord you’ve got there.

User Info Menu

Ok, since we were talking about accompaniment on ballads earlier, I thought I'd give this one a whirl. I tried to comp straight 4 a little more.

User Info Menu

Back to I Fall in Love ..

I didn't sing, but ill do one eventually...

User Info Menu

Back to I Fall in Love ..

I didn't sing, but ill do one eventually...

W

Wonderful. I can't help getting distracted by your guitar and the nylon string tone.

Is that a "normal classical" with the >=2" nut?

I've been looking at the Lowden nylon strings with the <2" nut and radiused finger board but they're outrageous compared to the steel string offerings (not sure why).

What are you playing?

thanx for posting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    W

Wonderful. I can't help getting distracted by your guitar and the nylon string tone.

Is that a "normal classical" with the >=2" nut?

I've been looking at the Lowden nylon strings with the <2" nut and radiused finger board but they're outrageous compared to the steel string offerings (not sure why).

What are you playing?

thanx for posting
    Thank you!

It's a very inexpensive LaPatrie Etude. It's a bit of an oddball, it's an early model that has a laminated mahogany back and sides, they later changed to cherry. Cedar top. Been my classroom guitar for about 20 years...it shows it!

It's a wide nut like a standard classical, the fretboard is very slightly radiused. It also has a truss rod. It's not a particularly loud guitar and it doesn't project much, but it sounds nice for quick phone recordings of jazz/bossa style. Part of this might be my technique though too, and I do set it up with a lower action than most classical players would use.

I keep it out all day, sometimes students mess around on it a bit. Sometimes I'll grab and play a little while they're working on a project (I'm a drawing/painting teacher) and I always try to pick it up for a bit at lunch.

Playing in all keys.-20240306_074255-jpg

User Info Menu

Thank you!

It's a very inexpensive LaPatrie Etude. It's a bit of an oddball, it's an early model that has a laminated mahogany back and sides, they later changed to cherry. Cedar top. Been my classroom guitar for about 20 years...it shows it!

It's a wide nut like a standard classical, the fretboard is very slightly radiused. It also has a truss rod. It's not a particularly loud guitar and it doesn't project much, but it sounds nice for quick phone recordings of jazz/bossa style. Part of this might be my technique though too, and I do set it up with a lower action than most classical players would use.

I keep it out all day, sometimes students mess around on it a bit. Sometimes I'll grab and play a little while they're working on a project (I'm a drawing/painting teacher) and I always try to pick it up for a bit at lunch.

Playing in all keys.-20240306_074255-jpg
    HEY!

I have that same guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    HEY!

I have that same guitar!
    No kidding?

Fools seldom differ?

User Info Menu

No kidding?

Fools seldom differ?
    Yep played it on every recital and jury all through college. And the thing is a tank. It's the only guitar I let my four-year-old play.

User Info Menu

Decided to start working on I Fall In Love too and transcribed Chet Baker's trumpet solo. Some of the rhythms probably aren't exact––he lays back a lot––but it's close enough to get you through it if you're listening.

In case anyone's interested.

(the lick at m9-12 is hip as all hell)

Dropbox - I Fall In Love baker.pdf - Simplify your life

User Info Menu

Question on analysis.

Looking at measure 9 would you say that is an Fm9(b11) arpeggio over the Aø D7?

How would you um, roman numeralize that part?

If I solo I know Eb pitches sound good for the first half and then some
    of them get weird in the second half.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Question on analysis.

Looking at measure 9 would you say that is an Fm9(b11) arpeggio over the Aø D7?

How would you um, roman numeralize that part?

If I solo I know Eb pitches sound good for the first half and then some
    of them get weird in the second half.
    Not sure where you get flat eleven? Just Fmin9 …

BUT

An important point … I didn’t write in the changes but he takes the solo in double time, so it’s written that way. One measure of the written changes becomes two in the solo. So measure nine would be the first half of measure five of the written changes so m9-10 would be the G7 or Dm7b5 to G7 and m11-12 would be the Cm.

So the big Fmin would be a pretty inside choice for m9-10.

The second half starts at m 17, so that’s where you’d want to look.

User Info Menu

Man…. I’ve been strumming along for too long not to notice that.

Also, I thought double time would go through the changes faster. And half time would be slower.

Lastly, I couldn’t decide between Fm9 or the b11 because it goes up to Ab.

User Info Menu

Man…. I’ve been strumming along for too long not to notice that.

Also, I thought double time would go through the changes faster. And half time would be slower.

Lastly, I couldn’t decide between Fm9 or the b11 because it goes up to Ab.
    Ab is just the ole b3 of the minor chord. Flat 11 would be B double flat or some such nonsense.

Double time means the eighth note becomes the new quarter note.

That COULD mean that the changes go by twice as fast, but the default on the bandstand if someone says “double time” is that the changes take the same amount of time and the tempo doubles underneath.

So the bass player starts walking at the double time tempo etc and one measure of changes takes up two measures with the new tempo.

User Info Menu

Since the root was on a line I thought it wasn’t part of the chord because it was in the space. Forgetting Ab is the m3 and that it flips after an octave. In my defense, I’m trying to analyze this off the page instead of with my guitar. Pretty sure I would have caught that if I played it.

User Info Menu

Since the root was on a line I thought it wasn’t part of the chord because it was in the space. Forgetting Ab is the m3 and that it flips after an octave. In my defense, I’m trying to analyze this off the page instead of with my guitar. Pretty sure I would have caught that if I played it.
    It is a lot of ledger lines

User Info Menu

Talking about playing in all 12 keys.

I remember years ago ordering a Sax example book.

The same example was printed in all 12 keys on two pages.

So, really the book was 120 pages with only 60 examples.

I was so disappointed.

User Info Menu

I had a similar disappointment with Carl Fischer's The Guitar Grimoire. 200+ pages of scales and modes repeated 12 times. I get it that something like this markets because it's complete, but I have a 20 page book that has everything in G and it's just as good.