The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 145

User Info Menu

Went to a workshop with Bruce Forman and he was asked about the need to learn a song in all 12 keys.

He said that if one is doing that by memorizing the chords, that is a waste of one's limited ability to memorize.

Instead learn the melody. How the melody notes relate to each chord change. Play functional chord-melody, I.e. play some of the melody, hit a chord, go to the next bar etc.... Get this down in ONE key.

Then start the melody on another note. Rince and repeat.

Also, someone mentioned that they knew the melody to All the Thing You Are, down-pat, but had trouble remembering the chord progression. Bruce questioned if the guy really knew the melody, but if he really did like he said, and he used this functional chord-melody approach, he wouldn't need to have memorized the chord progression. I.e. it would just flow organically from the melody.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Went to a workshop with Bruce Forman and he was asked about the need to learn a song in all 12 keys.

He said that if one is doing that by memorizing the chords, that is a waste of one's limited ability to memorize.

Instead learn the melody. How the melody notes relate to each chord change. Play functional chord-melody, I.e. play some of the melody, hit a chord, go to the next bar etc.... Get this down in ONE key.

Then start the melody on another note. Rince and repeat.

Also, someone mentioned that they knew the melody to All the Thing You Are, down-pat, but had trouble remembering the chord progression. Bruce questioned if the guy really knew the melody, but if he really did like he said, and he used this functional chord-melody approach, he wouldn't need to have memorized the chord progression. I.e. it would just flow organically from the melody.
    Do you have his masterclass on learning standards? I really like his method on paper, but don't know if I can teach it to myself with a video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Do you have his masterclass on learning standards? I really like his method on paper, but don't know if I can teach it to myself with a video.
    I haven't seen any of Forman's 'classes' other than what I might pick up at this forum.

At the workshop he also went over the 10 jazz standards one should learn and related it to his learn-the-melody, it will reveal the chords (by ear), type of approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I haven't seen any of Forman's 'classes' other than what I might pick up at this forum.

At the workshop he also went over the 10 jazz standards one should learn and related it to his learn-the-melody, it will reveal the chords (by ear), type of approach.

Do you remember any of those tunes? Like I said, on paper I like his system.

User Info Menu

Do you remember any of those tunes? Like I said, on paper I like his system.
    * Autumn Leaves--learn about the cycle
    * Take the A Train--[didn't catch a reason, perhaps because it moves to II?]
    * All The Things You Are--hard, but best example of how the cycle works, and a great form
    * It Could Happen To You (or Ain't Misbehaving)--Chromatic ascending bass line
    * There Will Never Be Another You--Backcycling to IV
    * Honeysuckle Rose--ii-V-Is, and the classic bridge, highly quoted melody
    * Satin Doll--everyone plays it, and a great study in ii-V-Is
    * Green Dolphin--cool form, "triadic shift--C to Eb to D to Db)" also cool backcyling through relative minor
    * Just Friends--starts on the IV, great melody, check out Parker with strings
    * Stella by Starlight--hard, but everyone wants to play it, so you've got to know it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the list, I'm well on my way!

Stella By Starlight is the most boring forgettable melody I've ever heard and immediately forgotten a dozen times over...

User Info Menu

Stella By Starlight is the most boring forgettable melody I've ever heard and immediately forgotten a dozen times over...
    Maybe this will change your mind. Don't let the slow wind up fool you. Got to listen to the whole thing. My all-time favorite version probably.

User Info Menu

Boring!?

User Info Menu

Yeah, right after the Stella part, when it changes completely into a vessel for upbeat trumpet and sax solos it's great. The head though, could be any BS intro, any forgotten verse. There's nothing memorable about Stella.

User Info Menu

Yeah, right after the Stella part, when it changes completely into a vessel for upbeat trumpet and sax solos it's great. The head though, could be any BS intro, any forgotten verse. There's nothing memorable about Stella.
    How very dare you.

Stella is a tie for my favorite melody.

Corcovado is the other, if you're curious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    How very dare you.

Stella is a tie for my favorite melody.

Corcovado is the other, if you're curious.
    Stardust and Moonlight In Vermont for me. Subject to change though.

User Info Menu

Stardust and Moonlight In Vermont for me. Subject to change though.
    I mean …… can’t go wrong with those.

One thing I’ll say for Stella is that the bass line really unlocks the melody. It’s pretty by itself, but against the roots of the chords it’s gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I mean …… can’t go wrong with those.

One thing I’ll say for Stella is that the bass line really unlocks the melody. It’s pretty by itself, but against the roots of the chords it’s gorgeous.
    And better if it's the original changes!

User Info Menu

You guys are going to get me to try again....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And better if it's the original changes!
    Im not touching that one

User Info Menu

And then you gotta do it in the original key too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And then you gotta do it in the original key too
    Love it. Great job!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Maybe try hearing both melody and harmony in your head.
    Stella By Starlight was the most popular 20th century song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Stella By Starlight was the most popular 20th century song.
    I don't think that's true.

User Info Menu

Thriller?

User Info Menu

It can't be true since there is no consensus definition of "popular".

But Stella is one of my favorites songs and I find the melody compelling.

User Info Menu

Yeah, might be Stardust.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Yeah, might be Stardust.
    When the So Cal based jazz station has it top jazz standards poll, Stardust is listed as #1.

User Info Menu

Playing in all keys.-screenshot_20240305_185917_chrome-jpg