The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

So I got the Bellson book.

Those of you who use it –– paging the Bellson nerds here, you know who you are –– how do you use it?

Pick a single note and just read the rhythms? Practice the rhythms or read straight through? Apply the rhythms to melodic material?

Explain it to me like I'm five.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not until you finish your vegetables.

User Info Menu

I currently just pick one note but I am experimenting with taking a 2 or 4 bar pattern and applying it to an arpeggio or a 2 or 4 bar phrase from a simpl-ish Parker head.

It may take some writing out, applying the rhythm to a melodic line, but I'm finding the rhythm and syncopation work im putting in is making a difference in my improv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    So I got the Bellson book.

Those of you who use it –– paging the Bellson nerds here, you know who you are –– how do you use it?

Pick a single note and just read the rhythms? Practice the rhythms or read straight through? Apply the rhythms to melodic material?

Explain it to me like I'm five.
    I just sing them. Until I cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Reasoning - the challenge of reading rhythms is audiating them. Singing them is the best way to get into audition.

I think it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Big plus one on singing rhythms.

And I like to make up words...usually dirty ones. Then you can go sing them at the bus stop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Big plus one on singing rhythms.

And I like to make up words...usually dirty ones. Then you can go sing them at the bus stop.
    Right on … noted on the singing.

Though I hope this isn’t how you explain things to five year olds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Right on … noted on the singing.

Though I hope this isn’t how you explain things to five year olds.
    You know, "apple pie" two eighths and a quarter, "pepperoni pizza" is 4 sixteenths and 2 eighths, "your mom is smoking hot" quarter 2 8ths 2 8ths quarter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You know, "apple pie" two eighths and a quarter, "pepperoni pizza" is 4 sixteenths and 2 eighths, "your mom is smoking hot" quarter 2 8ths 2 8ths quarter.
    Thanks for the interesting mnemonic devices. But I'd a bit hesitant to say "your mom is smoking hot" to a 5-year-old

User Info Menu

yea.. they're not for 5 year olds. LOL.

The point isn't to be able to sing them. Not that that isn't wrong or bad etc...

What your trying to become aware of and be able to recognize are ... Rhythmic Figures. Your getting past being in the moment.. and see, hear and feel longer sections of time.

The other aspect is to learn and again be able to recognize the difference between ... as written and "Jazz Feel" with being able to understand and feel use of the triplet

You did read the preface... right. The studies are for getting your sight reading together. But what generally happens when musicians go through the books is.... they start getting their technical skills together.

I haven't used in decades... but when I started using scales, arp. and even Spider drills with the studies My picking really stated to come together.

Watch for the mistakes... they're part of the fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    What your trying to become aware of and be able to recognize are ... Rhythmic Figures. Your getting past being in the moment.. and see, hear and feel longer sections of time.
    Right right. That’s really nicely put.

I haven't used in decades... but when I started using scales, arp. and even Spider drills with the studies My picking really stated to come together.

Watch for the mistakes... they're part of the fun.
    Awesome … I did read the foreword, but this is the kind of stuff I was curious about right here. So you might pick an exercise or melodic pattern and just play it with the rhythmic material in question? Like for the sake of simplicity … a major scale, but instead of playing it in eighth notes, you’ll read the rhythm and apply it to the scale or whatever?

Explain it to me like … like … I’m a dense thirty-three year old.

User Info Menu

OK... for a ***** 33 year old...LOL. (who isn't)

yes just like you started.
    1) look and understand how Bellson is developing the pattern. He moves a part(s) of the pattern through cycles.
    2) keep track of how fast your playing. Don't memorize... keep moving and the come back and check your tempo etc.
    3) start using notes, collections of notes, licks.... arps. And like I said eventually try and use spider style drills... and on string groups... not just single string. This is difficult at first just using steady quarters or eights. If you have any picking holes or wall.... they will show up really fast. very humbling LOL

The book becomes good at pg 47.... triplets, and just keeps getting better.

If your somewhat crazy, (like myself), you'll get Odd Time Reading Text.... eventually just jump out a window.
    Last edited by Reg; 02-23-2024 at 10:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    OK... for a ***** 33 year old...LOL. (who isn't)
    Whoa whoa whoa … that’s not at ALL what I was asking for.

yes just like you started.
    1) look and understand how Bellson is developing the pattern. He moves a part(s) of the pattern trough cycles.
    2) keep track of how fast your playing. Don't memorize... keep moving and the come back and check your tempo etc.
    3) start using notes, collections of notes, licks.... arps. And like I said eventually try and use spider style drills... and on string groups... not just single string. This is difficult at first just using steady quarters or eights. If you have any picking holes or wall.... they will show up really fast. very humbling LOL

The book becomes good at pg 47.... triplets, and just keeps getting better.
    But for real this is great. Thanks for taking the time. I’ll give this a whirl.