The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Only fingerstyle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just great! Some surprising moments along the way. I like the rhythmic things. Gettin' a bit jiggy in around 3:50.

How's about all pick and bow sometime?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Just great! Some surprising moments along the way. I like the rhythmic things. Gettin' a bit jiggy in around 3:50.

How's about all pick and bow sometime?
    Surprise is a key ingredient. We have to allow for these surprises to happen by letting go of all notions that we’re controlling what we’re doing. I mean, we totally are- but not.

User Info Menu

I get that control thing. You're in total control of what you yourself are doing, but not in control of the other guy. (sorry... forgot his name). The surprises happen when you both hit some sort of change at the same time in an unexpected way and run with it. You're both following the same path with open minds and ears.

The wife and I try this out a few times a week. She's not actually a musician, but she has some sort of mystical ability to invent on piano. It's a lot of fun and great exercise to try to bend to her musings. On a good night we get a surprise or two.

Obviously you guys are on a different level. I played a lot of improv back in the olden days when I actually had some like-minded players to hang with. I think you two have something quite special going on.

User Info Menu

I get that control thing. You're in total control of what you yourself are doing, but not in control of the other guy. (sorry... forgot his name). The surprises happen when you both hit some sort of change at the same time in an unexpected way and run with it. You're both following the same path with open minds and ears.

The wife and I try this out a few times a week. She's not actually a musician, but she has some sort of mystical ability to invent on piano. It's a lot of fun and great exercise to try to bend to her musings. On a good night we get a surprise or two.

Obviously you guys are on a different level. I played a lot of improv back in the olden days when I actually had some like-minded players to hang with. I think you two have something quite special going on.
    I meant that I’m not in control of what I’m playing either, not at a conscious level anyway. It’s subconscious like automatic writing.

User Info Menu

I'd say all the best art is made that way. You sort of tap into something else. Something is in control of what you're doing.

Doesn't happen through conscious thinking. Way too slow for one thing. Too clinical for another.

User Info Menu

I'd say all the best art is made that way. You sort of tap into something else. Something is in control of what you're doing.

Doesn't happen through conscious thinking. Way too slow for one thing. Too clinical for another.
    exactly! Simple, though it can be elusive. That is the crux of what I practice….tie tapping in.