The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There might be some posts on this elsewhere, but I couldn’t find them.

Ive been getting back into the ole Sheets of Sound—the arpeggios, in particular—and the book definitely leaves space for some logical modifications of the exercises. For example, some exercises written as root position triads, and others as inverted triads, when a person could probably pretty easily go through and do both in all three triad positions. Anyway, I was curious if anyone who’s spent time on this has any variations that like to do on any of the exercises.

example: I’m doing the three string swept arpeggios on 3.1.1 and have been doing other rhythmic subdivisions. It occurs to me to try other triad inversions or maybe even triads plus the octave for a four-string sweep, since that particular exercise doesn’t occur later in the section.

(bat signal to Zucker?)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Peter, feel free to message me or email me (jackzucker@gmail.com) for clarification.

but the short answer is that you should use the exercises to inspire additional Permutations.

User Info Menu

Thank ya sir.

Just curious if you (or anyone) had some things you (or they) liked to do.

So far I've been taken the diatonic sweeps and done some other inversions, some slower and quicker subdivisions, and added the octave on the bottom to make them four-string sweeps.

Been at it fairly consistency for a few weeks, and noticing some saxophone arpeggios in transcriptions and such that gave me a bit of a headache in the past are smoothing out a lot. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Thank ya sir.

Just curious if you (or anyone) had some things you (or they) liked to do.

So far I've been taken the diatonic sweeps and done some other inversions, some slower and quicker subdivisions, and added the octave on the bottom to make them four-string sweeps.

Been at it fairly consistency for a few weeks, and noticing some saxophone arpeggios in transcriptions and such that gave me a bit of a headache in the past are smoothing out a lot. Good stuff.
    What I like to do is take one lick or idea, like for example the pentatonic 4th triads thing I posted today and spend a couple weeks integrating it and its variations into my playing. Trying different harmonic ideas as well as playing/picking it different ways....