The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 143

User Info Menu

Man, sorry you are still just killing it here to silence.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Man, sorry you are still just killing it here to silence.
    haha, thanks for the kudos. The thing is, I'm learning too but yeah, it's sad that folks are so busy that they don't acknowledge it. That's show-biz though...

User Info Menu

Usually acknowledge it on another platform...

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Usually acknowledge it on another platform...
    it's much appreciated, thanks!

Fast Holdsworth inspired lick from my wholetone extravaganza

This is the introductory lick to my previous video as promised.

Slowed down to half speed, tabbed and notated.

#wholetone #augmented
    #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #YamahaGuitar

Holdsworth - Tim Miller inspired, augmented arpeggio + wholetone switchback lick

This lick comes from my Legato Guitar Vol 2 series. It's an augmented arpeggio with wholetone passing notes. I call it a switchback because instead of ascending and descending directly, it switches back a string ascending and switches up a string descending.

It's really a cool lick. I use a combination of hybrid and economy picking on it ala tim miller but you can play it with economy picking and alternate picking too.

Being augmented, you can use it off G7+, A7+, B7+, C#7+, D#7+ F7+ and if you listen to the backing track, you will see that I'm moving the chords up and down in whole steps to reflect that...

Remember, I teach lessons so HMU if you're interested in learning some of this directly.

Holdsworth - Tim Miller inspired, augmented arpeggio + wholetone switchback lick #kieselguitars - YouTube

#allanholdsworth #timmiller
    #wholetone #augmented
    #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons #fusionguitar #jazzfusion
    #KieselGuitar

Holdsworth - Tim Miller inspired, augmented arpeggio + wholetone switchback lick

This lick comes from my Legato Guitar Vol 2 series. It's an augmented arpeggio with wholetone passing notes. I call it a switchback because instead of ascending and descending directly, it switches back a string ascending and switches up a string descending.

It's really a cool lick. I use a combination of hybrid and economy picking on it ala tim miller but you can play it with economy picking and alternate picking too.

Being augmented, you can use it off G7+, A7+, B7+, C#7+, D#7+ F7+ and if you listen to the backing track, you will see that I'm moving the chords up and down in whole steps to reflect that...

Remember, I teach lessons so HMU if you're interested in learning some of this directly.

#wholetone #augmented
    #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons #fusionguitar #jazzfusion
    #KieselGuitar
    Last edited by jzucker; 03-04-2024 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

This maybe helpful, to display a Youtube short video in a forum post, you need to use the "Insert Video" button, then use this:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90L39MiKUA"

Last edited by GuyBoden; 03-03-2024 at 05:42 AM.

Lydian Legato Arpeggios, great over GMaj7, using hybrid and sweep picking.

This is an exercise from Sheets of Sound for Legato Guitar Vol 2. It's a cool exercise using Lydian mode and combining Gmaj7, Bm9, Em9, Bm7, DMaj7 arpeggios over GMaj7.

It uses hybrid picking ascending and sweep picking / legato descending ala Tim Miller.

#TimMillerGuitar #allanholdsworth
    #sheetsofsound
    #kieselguitar #Lydian
    Last edited by jzucker; 03-04-2024 at 02:08 PM.

GuyBoden , i saw your posting.

Unfortunately - there seems to be a bug in the forum software when it comes to youtube shorts. about 25-50% of the time, it does not show the preview regardless of whether you insert the videos via the video button or paste them directly.

For example, here's the video link via the insert video button...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MQCWL9Dzl0o

(still no preview)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    GuyBoden , i saw your posting.

Unfortunately - there seems to be a bug in the forum software when it comes to youtube shorts. about 25-50% of the time, it does not show the preview regardless of whether you insert the videos via the video button or paste them directly.

For example, here's the video link via the insert video button...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MQCWL9Dzl0o

(still no preview)
    I think the forum software code needs updating to accept youtube 'short' video, it's not a bug as such, just the lack of functionality to play video 'shorts'.

As a work around, as I mentioned before, you can paste your youtube short into the forum video button using this:
    "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCWL9Dzl0o"

You need to insert your Youtube video code, example: MQCWL9Dzl0o.

Nice lick

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    I think the forum software code needs updating to accept youtube 'short' video, it's not a bug as such, just the lack of functionality to play video 'shorts'.

As a work around, as I mentioned before, you can paste your youtube short into the forum video button using this:
    "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCWL9Dzl0o"

You need to insert your Youtube video code, example: MQCWL9Dzl0o.

Nice lick
    Thanks, it's not that you can't universally paste a short into the video button. Most of the time it works fine as you can see from looking at many of my other shorts on this thread. Thanks for the tip on the manual updating of the link.

The classic Pat Metheny Lick, muted arpeggiated 7th chords...

This is the classic metheny arpeggio lick demostrated with alternate picking the way Pat does and also demonstrated with hybrid picking.

These are arpeggios 3-7-3-1 with the last note in each sequence a muted hammer-on from nowhere. He slightly mutes the lower strings which give it an almost ghosted note sound.

#patmetheny
    #sheetsofsound
    #gibson175

Holdsworth / Miller style A7Alt with Bbm Maj9 arpeggio in multiple positions

This lick is a Bbm Maj9 arpeggio Bb Db F A C over an A7Alt chord. Alt chords have +9, b9, #4 #5.
    The Bbm maj9 gives you the b9 3rd #5 root and #9 over the A7. I often hear people showing melodic minor scales or straight arpeggios.

Of course you can use this over Bbm, Eb7, C7b9 too!

This arpeggio is played with switchbacks and inversions and with legato and hybrid picking techniques over multiple positions and sounds much better than running a melodic minor scale or straight arpeggio over the A7 Alt chord.

It's a cool pattern that you can alter with a few note changes to make it Min9, Maj9, etc., etc.

And it's an excellent technique study. You can play it with alternate picking or economy picking too.

#sheetsofsound
    #yamahasa2200

Enhance your blues playing with wholetone & augmented arpeggios

This lick is meant to be played leading up to the iv chord in a blues.

It's over a blues in E and prior to going to the A7, you would use this lick to create some tension and resolve to the A7.

Let me know if you like this and want to see more practical applications for these lines.

#timmiller #robbenford
    #sheetsofsound #bluesguitar #fusionguitar
    #yamahaguitar

Legato blues etude - with chord subs, legato arpeggios, augmented and wholetone

This is a legato etude over an E blues. Over the E7, i'm using the following arpeggios
    Bm9, DMaj9, F#m9 and Bb+ as well as notes from Bb whole tone all leading to the IV chord (A7)

This is similar to lines you may have heard played by Tim Miller or Tom Quayle

#timmiller
    #sheetsofsound
    #telecaster

Frank Gambale, fusion style Economy/Legato etude/cadenza over A7Alt (Bb Melodic minor)

This fusion style etude is a good study of economy/sweep picking and an example of how to play over an altered chord. Alt chords have b9#9#4#5. One way to play over an alt chord is to use the 1/2 step tritone ii-v which is essentially what I'm doing here. While A7 is playing, I'm playing over Bbm-Eb7 using Bb Melodic Minor which gives you the Alt notes over the A7. It's also called super locrian.

#frankgambale
    #sheetsofsound
    #yamahaguitar #fusionguitar #altereddominant

Fusion style, 2-1-2, Legato AbMaj7#5 Arpeggio over E7Alt (Fm9Maj7)

This is an example of how you can use the 2-1-2 legato style over arpeggios. In this case an AbMaj7#5 arpeggio. I frequently use this type of arpeggio starting on the 3rd of an altered dominant chord, in this case E7#9#5.

It's a pretty simple arpeggio pattern that you can apply to a ton of different arpeggios and pentatonic scales.

The AbMaj7#5 arpeggio (Ab, C, E, G) gives you the 3rd, #5, Root and #9 over the E7. The reason it sounds so cool is because we are boiling down the scale (in this case it comes from the F Melodic Minor scale) to it's essential juice notes.

Juice notes are where it's at for getting modern sounds.

#TimMiller
    #sheetsofsound
    #KieselGuitar #fusionguitar #altereddominant

User Info Menu

haha, thanks for the kudos. The thing is, I'm learning too but yeah, it's sad that folks are so busy that they don't acknowledge it. That's show-biz though...

Hi Jack,

I learned your Pat Martino line in Ab (F-minor) and have been working with it. It sounds good to me.

As for Alan Holdsworth, whole tone scales, I have no interest in that, but I am sure someone else does.

Thanks for showing all these lines in different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    Hi Jack,

I learned your Pat Martino line in Ab (F-minor) and have been working with it. It sounds good to me.

As for Alan Holdsworth, whole tone scales, I have no interest in that, but I am sure someone else does.

Thanks for showing all these lines in different styles.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the same lines work over jazz, standards, archtops, etc. The only reason I started demoing them in a holdsworth tone style is that my engagement was really bad with just targeting the archtop stuff...

User Info Menu

One thing to keep in mind is that the same lines work over jazz, standards, archtops, etc. The only reason I started demoing them in a holdsworth tone style is that my engagement was really bad with just targeting the archtop stuff...
    That Kiesel guitar sounds great, looks great and looks like it plays like butter, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    That Kiesel guitar sounds great, looks great and looks like it plays like butter, great stuff.
    thanks guy. I can't decide if I love it or not, lol. I do love playing it because of the lightness and form factor.

I'm considering ordering a Tim Miller guitar though in the past, I have not been a fan of neck through guitars...

Legato 2-1-2 style over a ii-v-1 progression, jazz-archtop style using SIMPLE pentatonic scales, altered dominant, lydian

This lick demonstrates a 2-5-1 chord progression in A (Bm7-E7-AMaj7) and demonstrates how you can create exotic, rich and beautiful tones using simple pentatonic scales and using modern, 2-1-2 style, legato fingering.

IMPORTANT - You can use the jazz licks for fusion and the fusion licks for jazz. Just because the tone is one or the other does *NOT* preclude you using it for other stuff!

You can make this even more rich and complex by adding some altered tones and I'll demonstrate that in a future video but this is just straight pentatonic scales.

Bm7 - Bmin pentatonic
    E7 - BbMaj pentatonic (Bb C D F G) this gives you the #4 #5 b7 b9 #9 (Alt chord)
    AMaj7 - G#min pentatonic this gives you the AMaj9#11 sound (lydian)

Very cool sounds for some pretty easy work...

#TimMiller
    #sheetsofsound
    #ibanezbenson #fusionguitar #altereddominant

User Info Menu

I'm considering ordering a Tim Miller guitar though in the past, I have not been a fan of neck through guitars...
    Obviously, Tim Miller probably sounds great playing anything.

Yes, the Tim Miller Kiesel looks interesting. Semi hollow chambers with neck through construction seems to be very unusual, at least to me.

"Semi Hollow Chambered design"

"22 fret" "Warmer sound"

"Neck through Body"

Legato 2-1-2 arpeggios over ii-v-1 progression, jazz-archtop style, Lydian, Altered Dom

This lick demonstrates a 2-5-1 chord progression in A (Bm7-E7-AMaj7) and demonstrates how you can create exotic, rich and beautiful tones using simple arpeggios scales and using modern, 2-1-2 style, legato fingering.

IMPORTANT - You can use the jazz licks for fusion and the fusion licks for jazz. Just because the tone is one or the other does *NOT* preclude you using it for other stuff!

Bm7 - Bm11 arpeggio
    E7 - AbMaj7#5 arpeggio Ab C D E G gives you 3 #5 b7 root #9, classic altered sound ala brecker
    AMaj7 - AMaj13#11 arpeggio

#TimMiller #MikeBrecker
    #sheetsofsound
    #ibanezbenson #fusionguitar #altereddominant