The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 143

User Info Menu

'House of Mirrors' is one of my fav Allan Holdsworth chord melody pieces.

The chords voicings are extremely difficult to play, but such a beautiful sound.

'House of Mirrors' played incredibly by Derryl Gabel.

The Allan Holdsworth original.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Do George Benson licks work for fusion/rock? Frank Gambale/Allan Holdsworth - NO TALKING!

This Bm7 lick uses a george benson slide but performed with sweep picking as well and overdrive, giving it a benson meets gambale kind of feel. Allan Holdsworth style backing chords.

Do George Benson licks work for fusion/rock? Frank Gambale/Allan Holdsworth - NO TALKING! - YouTube

#GeorgeBenson #FrankGamble #allanholdsworth
    #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #YamahaSG #quartalharmony

Allen Hinds inspired, Gm7 chickin' pickin' arpeggios and 4th triads

I'm walking up the Gmi (F Major) diatonic scale playing triads for the first measure, 4th triads for the second measure. Remember, these are diatonic 4ths, not perfect 4ths.

The lick is mine but the inspiration for this is Allen Hinds who I've been listening to a lot the last month. I love how he funks up his fusion playing with chickin' pickin' !

Allen Hinds inspired, Gm7 chickin' pickin' arpeggios and 4th triads #fusionguitar #guitarlesson - YouTube

#AllenHinds
    #sheetsofsound
    #Telecaster #quartalharmony

User Info Menu

This arrived today:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    This arrived today:

Ahhhhh sick. I got that one a few weeks ago.

it’s kind of outside my normal thing so I have to spend a good bit of time on each exercise … by which I mean I haven’t gotten through much of it yet.

But super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Ahhhhh sick. I got that one a few weeks ago.

it’s kind of outside my normal thing so I have to spend a good bit of time on each exercise … by which I mean I haven’t gotten through much of it yet.

But super cool.
    Awesome, thanks for the support. I'm working on few legato ideas to do a video on. One from my legato book and one I just came up with. I'm still getting my chops back after my spinal injury and surgery in May so I'm not as sharp on that stuff as I should be but look for something in the next week or so!

Allan Holdsworth style Gm7 4ths + 3rd (4ths with a 9th)

These are voicings that Allan uses. They are also commonly used by McCoy Tyner, Eric Johnson, etc.

They are 4ths with a 3rd between the top 2 notes. You can also look at these as a 4th triad with an added 9th on top of the root note.

The point of the lesson are the chord voicings but I know folks will want to know about the lead solo so I will tab that out in the next day or two!

https://youtube.com/shorts/SqEO_vhqOVA

#AllanHoldsworth #McCoyTyner #EricJohnson
    #sheetsofsound

Allan Holdsworth style Riff over Gm7 4ths

This is the notation and tab for the lead I played over the "Allan Holdsworth style Gm7 4ths + 3rd (4ths with a 9th)" lesson I posted yesterday.

It starts out with a Dm9 and Gm9 legato arpeggios and then some crazy hammer/pulloffs moving through the strings before resolving to the Root.

The basic pattern is 1-b2-4-b2-1-1 with the first 5 notes played on 1 string and then the 2nd (1) at the end played on the next lower string.

The pattern breaks slightly because of the tuning of the G and B string and then I also alter it slightly to fit in some side stepping and resolution.

Check the notation for details!

#AllanHoldsworth #McCoyTyner #EricJohnson
    #sheetsofsound

Gm7 Legato Arpeggio inversions, Tim Miller / Holdsworth style

These are from my Sheets of Sound for Legato Guitar Vol II.

I combine a Gm9 and Dm7 arpeggio, done legato and hybrid picking for a sound similar to holdsworth and tim miller.

Gm7 Legato Arpeggio inversions, Tim Miller / Holdsworth style - YouTube

#AllanHoldsworth #TimMillerGuitar
    #sheetsofsound

Tim Miller / Holdsworth Legato AbMaj7#5 Penatonic, super hip way of playing over E7Alt chords!

There's an error in the fretboard diagram displayed in the video. Correction here...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/tim-miller-5-hip-98279364

This is one of my favorite sounds. It's an AbMaj7#5 Pentatonic used over an E7 Alt chord.

This pentatonic is Ab C D E G (1 3 #4 #5 Maj7)

This makes an AbMaj7#5 which is an E7#5#9 chord in 1st inversion. (Over G# (Ab))

I love to use this modally over an E7 Alt chord. To do that, think of the Ab (G#) as the 3rd of E7 and play the AbMaj7#5 pentatonic over the E7.

As a bonus, i've included a sequenced version of the scale which I start on an upbeat (forward motion) and show you the unique way i apply hybrid picking and pull-offs to this kind of riff to give it a very legato sound.

#AllanHoldsworth #TimMillerGuitar #forwardmotion
    #sheetsofsound #legatoguitar #hybridpicking
    Last edited by jzucker; 02-12-2024 at 10:26 AM.

Dave Creamer / Allan Holdsworth style 5th arpeggio sequence, hybrid picking

I learned this riff about 45 years ago through cassette lessons with Dave Creamer. Bob Roetker and I took a few mail order lessons with him. We found his name in the classified section of guitar player magazine. I wanted to do this lesson as a tribute to Dave but sadly, 45 years later, I'm still struggling with a lick that Dave plays like buttah. Dave is one of the best wide interval players I've ever heard in my life. Very smooth and legato. Much more legato and horn-like than Diorio and some of the other traditional wide interval players on guitar. Dave has some great books out so check out his site at davecreamer(dot)com.

There's also a cool album that a friend turned me onto, recorded around 1982 with John Abercrombie and Dave Creamer called Creatrix. You can find it on youtube, amazon, apple music. George Benson lists dave as one of the 11 guitarists that blew his mind along with Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery...

I struggled through this luck but I hope you can get it under your fingers a little better!

#AllanHoldsworth #DaveCreamer
    Last edited by jzucker; 02-12-2024 at 09:05 PM.

Allan Holdsworth / Tim Miller influenced, Dm9 Legato arpeggio, multi position

This is based on one of the switch-back legato licks from Sheets of Sound for Legato Guitar V2 but it takes it a step further by attacking the riff in multiple positions.

This is a very cool lick and learning it will help open up your approach to legato and guitar in general by getting you out of box positions!

It's a bit tricky as it combines legato and sweep picking, a technique I like to use with my own hybrid picking - using legato and pick/fingers ascending but using some economy picking, descending. This is also how Tim Miller approaches this.

I'm using a fractal FM3 processor and a couple Holdsworth presets I got from Jeremey Poparad although I've modified them somewhat.

Allan Holdsworth / Tim Miller style A7 Alt arpeggio based on Bb Melodic Minor / A+ and Bbm chord pair

This lick Takes Bb Melodic minor and the A+ and Bbm triads out of the scale and create a legato arpeggio out of it with economy and hybrid picking ala Tim Miller. I used a C Natural on top even though it wasn't part of the 2 triad pairs - though it is part of Bb Melodic minor because I wanted the holdsworthian dissonance.

Allan Holdsworth / Tim Miller style A7 Alt arpeggio using Bb Melodic Minor / A+ and Bbm chord pair - YouTube

#TimMiller #AllanHoldsworth
    #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSG #altereddominant

Scott Henderson inspired, double-note emin pentatonic 7 over 8

I came up with this lick after a period of listening to Scott Henderson, one of my favorite players in history.

This Emin pentatonic pentatonic straddles what normally would be 2 pentatonic box positions and uses repeated notes from each of the 2 positions along with hybrid picking and a 7 note pattern overlaying the 4/4 time signature for some really cool accents.

I use a technique I call hybrid economy picking where the hybrid picked middle finger attack stays with the same finger moving string to string. Check it out in the notation.

The intro has a little holdsworth flavor to it just because of the first 3 notes but it's the repeated note pattern that i'm showing here!

#scotthenderson
    #sheetsofsound

Tim Miller inspired fusion, Emin pentatonic, 2 simultaneous positions, legato style

You can find many exercises like this in my books, Sheets of Sound for Legato Guitar Vol 1 & Vol 2.

First of all, it's Emin pentatonic over FMaj7#11 so it gives you the juice notes of the FMaj7#11 without really trying.

The Emin pentatonic is E G A B D. Over the FMaj7, that gives you the Maj7, 9th, 3rd, #11 and 13. Very cool and you didn't have to work hard to get the juice notes!

Remember, I give private lessons so hmu if you're interested. More info on my website.

#TimMillerGuitar
    #sheetsofsound

User Info Menu

Hey Jack,

Just came through caught up from last time. Just a massively impressive lick resource here.

The book link in your signature isn't working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Hey Jack,

Just came through caught up from last time. Just a massively impressive lick resource here.

The book link in your signature isn't working for me.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I transitioned over to amazon last year. I updated and it should be working now.

I appreciate you commenting. It's tough to break out here. So many posts and few acknowledgements!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Thanks for pointing that out. I transitioned over to amazon last year. I updated and it should be working now.

I appreciate you commenting. It's tough to break out here. So many posts and few acknowledgements!
    You're really talented, I think it's a bit of information overload. I'm at the point where I'm choosing between learning basic repertoire like Groovin High or Au Privave, or your stuff, and the repertoire wins right now. I like your style, I'm just not ready to dive in.

User Info Menu

Do you have a video where you explain the differences in the books?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Do you have a video where you explain the differences in the books?
    I don't but that's an excellent idea. I'd say repertoire and studying bebop and transcribing should always be #1!

Tim Miller / Pat Martino inspired octave displaced chromatic scale!

This one is inspired by Pat's Twelve Chromatic Forms for guitar but re-imagined for Tim Miller-style, Legato guitar.

It's actually a chromatic scale with certain notes up or down an octave to give it a '70s computer game sound. I recorded it clean, but it sounds awesome with gain for a holdsworthian feel.

Use it over any chord but I like it over AbMaj7, G7Alt, Fm9, etc.

#TimMillerGuitar #PatMartino
    #sheetsofsound

Allan Holdsworth / Tim Miller inspired EMaj7Alt riffs

These 2 riffs are from Sheets of Sound for Legato Guitar Vol 2.

It's a really cool riff because i'm using BMaj9 Arpeggio over EMaj7 which gives you the 9, #11, 13 which sound very exotic without having to think about it!

The 2nd riff is based on the Eb 1/2-whole diminished scale. This is an underappreciated way to play over a Maj7 chord which I first heard in the late '50s with Bird but not taken to its fullest potential until the mid '60s when it became a staple of modern jazz musicians such as Liebman, Abercrombie, Bierach, Herbie, Chick, Weather Report etc. The idea is that you can play an Eb triad with an E in the bass and it generates an EMaj7#9#11 chord, based on the Eb 1/2 whole diminished scale although it's also the 6th mode of harmonic minor (for those who are theory geeks)

Regardless, it's a great sounding riff and a good way to end a tune on Maj7 or even to suspend the Maj7 chord for a bit, or be brave and just use it as another sound!

#sheetsofsound
    #KieselZeus #altereddominant

Legato, position shifting arpeggios over Dm7 with hybrid picking, triad overlays

Shout-out to my brother-in-law, Eddie Lester for the Coltrane Tee!

This is a surprisingly difficult lick due to the position shifts. I play it at the beginning with my Ibanez GB10 archtop, clean tone - and at the end with gain using my Yamaha SG600.

WHICH DO YOU LIKE BETTER? Let me know in your comments.

I'm overlaying Dm, Am, C, F triads on this and using forward motion. Forward motion is when you start a line on the & of a beat and not the downbeat. It creates a perpetual or FORWARD motion of the 8th notes and allows the line to groove more than playing everying on the downbeat.

Legato, position shifting arpeggios over Dm7 with hybrid picking, triad overlays - YouTube

#AllanHoldsworth #TimMillerGuitar #forwardmotion
    #pentatonics #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #IbanezBenson #YamahaGuitar

Brecker-brothers style, Legato, simple, inside-outside pentatonic sequences over Dm7. Easy to play and utilize

I've gotten a lot of requests to demonstrate what you can do with pentatonics. In this case, I take a Dm7 vamp and use several techniques with a Dm pentatonic scale.

1) I alternate between Dm and Ebm to create tension and resolution
    2) I use legato articulation to make it sound more natural
    3) I do not start the pattern on the downbeat of 1. Each measure has a slur which starts the beginning of the sequence.

This is something I borrowed from players like the brecker brothers, mccoy tyner, etc...

#forwardmotion
    #pentatonics #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #GibsonBarneyKessel #YamahaGuitar

Holdsworth inspired augmented quintuplet and whole tone extravaganza

These lines are based on G wholetone / augmented scale
    and work over all the following aug chords
    G7+, A7+, B7+, C#7+, D#7+, F7+

I'll post the fast whole tone lick in a few days or download it today from my patreon site.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GTc_gBKcDoM

#wholetone #augmented
    #arpeggios
    #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaGuitar
    Last edited by jzucker; 02-27-2024 at 07:34 AM.