The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 143
    I appreciate the feedback guys. The analytics on youtube indicate that people don't watch the longer videos and swipe away from them right away. Plus the engagement here seems to be very poor on them as well. The 60s videos get thousands of views and the longer videos get 200(ish).

Youtube shows you how many people enage, how long they watch, how many total views, etc. And sadly, the 60s videos get way more engagement from people.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I appreciate the feedback guys. The analytics on youtube indicate that people don't watch the longer videos and swipe away from them right away. Plus the engagement here seems to be very poor on them as well. The 60s videos get thousands of views and the longer videos get 200(ish).

Youtube shows you how many people enage, how long they watch, how many total views, etc. And sadly, the 60s videos get way more engagement from people.
    Are you sure your analytics aren’t missing the 33-yo Dorks Named Peter w Music Degrees demographic?

Wasnt really feedback … just something that interests me personally, so no big deal.

Maybe it’s something you’d comment on here?

I actually started a thread about it a couple weeks ago but it got memory holed.

Sheets of Sound, variations

Also picked up the first legato book since then.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Are you sure your analytics aren’t missing the 33-yo Dorks Named Peter w Music Degrees demographic?

Wasnt really feedback … just something that interests me personally, so no big deal.

Maybe it’s something you’d comment on here?

I actually started a thread about it a couple weeks ago but it got memory holed.

Sheets of Sound, variations

Also picked up the first legato book since then.
    Thanks Peter. Sorry I missed the thread. I'd be happy to do a series here or maybe a thread exploring more details about certain aspects of things even if the general populace (scrolling while sitting on the toilet) isn't interested.

But regarding videos in general, youtube shows the videos to people based on heuristics and engagement so it's a double edged sword. If you produce content that is not popular, youtube won't even show your content to people who are scrolling through search specs on jazz guitar or whatever they are searching for. So in that case, you are limited to people going specifically to your page. (Which according to the analytics, comprises about 4% of total engagement!)

It seems that tiktok changed the game for engagement and youtube, instagram, facebook, threads and twitter all are competing for that instant gratification (Adverti$er$)

Frank Gambale inspired, swept quartal 4th triplets over Gm7

See 4.18.1 in Sheets of Sound Vol 1

This is similar to an exercise I have in Sheets of Sound vol iii. It's really a cool lick and you can use it over 2-5-1 or as a cadenza, etc. Make sure to take it through all keys and positions.

Frank Gambale inspired, swept quartal 4th triplets over Gm7 - YouTube

#FrankGambale #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #IbanezBenson #quartalharmony #diminishedscale

Pentatonic Hack - Pentatonic Triad chords using simple Gm Pentatonic scale ala Joe Diorio / Dave Creamer

Did you know that if you take a simple pentatonic scale, take ever other note, you end up with really sweet chord voicings.

So, G Bb C D F G Bb C D F

take G C F, B D G, C F Bb, D G C, etc...

They sound awesome over a wide variety of chords. In this tutorial, i'll show you the chords, how to arpeggiate them (i use pick and fingers) and how to play the Gm Pentatonic chords over EbMaj7, AbMaj7, E7Alt, Fm9 as well as demonstrating the chords over a 2-5-1 in F using Gm pentatonic over Gm, Abm pentatonic over C7 and Am pentatonic over FMaj7.

Check out the lesson. Very reminscent of Joe Diorio and Dave Creamer

#JoeDiorio #DaveCreamer #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSA2200 #quartalharmony

Essential Pat Martino riff over Fm7, using directional picking and position shifting.

This is a riff I took from pat martino's joyous lake album. It's over Fm7 and utilizes an AbMaj7 arpeggio along with F dorian and passing tones between the 4th and min3 as well as 9th and root. Typical pat martino stuff. Hope you enjoy.

#patmartino #sheetsofsound
    #GibsonL4CES #quartalharmony

Pat Martino style Arpeggiated approach notes over 2-5-1 in G

This is a fun way to use chromatic approach notes in the style of Pat Martino (or pat metheny). In the simple form, we take a GMaj7 Arpeggio (G B D F#) and we add the chromatic approach notes
    (F# A# C# E#)
    But instead of a two note pattern, we repeat each note of the arpeggio like this:

G F# G
    B A# B
    D C# D
    F# E# F#

And we play it in 8th notes to create a 3 over 4 feel.

Check it out and let me know if you like it. There is a follow up lesson to this one where Pat takes it one step further. Stay tuned for that one!

Pat Martino style Arpeggiated approach notes over 2-5-1 in G - YouTube

#IbanezBenson #triplets

Sweet, Pat Martino 3 over 4 repeated note riff

Pat uses this lick all the time. Pat takes arpeggios,scales and lines and repeats each note but with a short 1/4 note followed by an 8th note. This makes for a 3 note pattern, hence the 3 over 4 feel. It really provides a cool push to the harmonic rhythm and is such a prototypical Martino lick that I'm sure you'll love it!

#IbanezBenson #triplets

Play faster with hybrid picking when crossing strings (quartal harmony, 4ths and 5ths)

This video demonstrates how I like to use hybrid picking for wide intervals such as 4ths and 5ths. It's a cool sound and a lot easier to play than alternate picking.

Play faster with hybrid picking when crossing strings (quartal harmony, 4ths and 5ths) - YouTube

#jackzucker #sheetsofsound
    #IbanezBenson #triplets #quartalharmony

John Coltrane inspired 2-5-1 lick in the key of C using tritone 2-5

This lick features an often utilized substitution that Coltrane used all the time. A tritone 2-5.

So over a Dm7 G7 C, Coltrane would use the tritone of the 2 and the 5, Abm7 Db7 and then to C.

You can hear this a lot on the Lush Life album. I feature a lot of this harmony in my discussion on Dodecaphonics (jackzucker.com/dodecaphonics) so feel free to read more.

#JohnColtrane #sheetsofsound
    #IbanezBenson #quartalharmony #diminishedscale
    #2-5-1-Progression

George Benson - triplet technique over 2-5-1 in G

This is another example of benson playing rapid fire triplets using phrasing that is mostly 4/4 style lines. Of course, it adjusts to match the cadences

#georgebenson #sheetsofsound
    #IbanezBenson #triplets

Danny Gatton inspired 4ths with an octave, fusion

I borrowed this technique from Danny, who I played with back in the 70s. He was a great inspiration and left us much too early. This technique I'm demonstrating today utilizes diatonic 4ths plus an octave. The 4ths are played with hybrid picking and the octave is hammered. I'm demonstrating a lick over A7 for 2 bars and E7 for 2 bars.

#DannyGatton #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSA2200 #quartalharmony
    #chickinpickin

Danny Gatton, George Benson, Tim Miller, McCoy Tyner inspired jazz/fusion/country lick!

This lick is very cool because it can be used over rock, blues, jazz, fusion, etc. It combines
    danny gatton chickin' pickin'
    george benson funk
    tim miller legato
    mccoy tyner 4ths plus an octave.

It's over A7 chord. I hope you enjoy it.

#DannyGatton #GeorgeBenson #TimMiller #McCoyTyner
    #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSA2200 #Telecaster #IbanezBenson #quartalharmony
    #chickinpickin

Chick Corea/Frank Gambale blues/fusion inspired 4ths w/inner neighboring tone and compound rhythm

There's a lot to unpack with this lick. It's inspired by Chick Corea and something he likes to do to create compound rhythms. Instead of utilizing 5 notes patterns, he would play a 4 note pattern and insert a rest and then play the next 4 note pattern. This creates a 5 over 4 compound rhythm.

The other thing is that this lick is a set of diatonic 4ths with an inner 5th (neigboring tone). When you look at the tab, the black notes are the 4ths and the green note is the inner neighboring tone.

And finally, the lick is played with hybrid picking, pick, middle, ring and pick for the 4 note pattern.

Incidentally, Frank Gambale borrowed the 4 note pattern + the rest, and uses it all the time.

#chickcorea #frankgambale
    #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSA2200 #Telecaster #IbanezBenson #quartalharmony
    #chickinpickin

thanks for those taking the time to like/comment. It's ironic that I get more feedback, commenting and likes from the non-jazz forums. I wonder if folks don't like the material or are just too busy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    thanks for those taking the time to like/comment. It's ironic that I get more feedback, commenting and likes from the non-jazz forums. I wonder if folks don't like the material or are just too busy?
    I think it's a smaller group here and after a few days people lose interest in leaving the same "This is good" feedback. I can't watch them all, and usually I have no feedback because you presented a lick and you did it well so, what is there to say?

User Info Menu

(I also see these on Instagram … so sometimes you might not be getting comments here because your other avenues are working!)

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think it's a smaller group here and after a few days people lose interest in leaving the same "This is good" feedback. I can't watch them all, and usually I have no feedback because you presented a lick and you did it well so, what is there to say?
    I'm not sure it's necessary to say something unique but just acknowledging you see it and/or that it looks useful (or not) gives me feedback. Otherwise, the vacuum is deafening, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    (I also see these on Instagram … so sometimes you might not be getting comments here because your other avenues are working!)
    True, that makes sense. I see this group as a bit more personable than regular social media but I think that over time, people seem to be migrating to the socials for more interaction.

Allan Holdsworth / Eric Johnson style 4th triads

These are beautiful chords. I cover these in my first book, Sheets
    of Sound for guitar Vol 1 but you need to hear them in this demo to really appreciate them.

The 4th triads are diatonic and the first set are
    fbe, gcf, adg, bea, cfb, dgc, eba

They are notated with fret diagrams in the lesson.

They are really cool and sound awesome for comping. I often use them over Maj7, min7 and 7th chords.

For example, in this key, CMaj7, Dm7, G7.

You can also move them up or down in half steps to create other tonalities.

I have another lesson on my youtube site entited
    "Learn to play McCoy Tyner, inside/outside 4th+5th, quartal chords"

This is a longer video and has more insite about how to use 4th chords.

#EricJohnson #AllanHoldsworth
    #sheetsofsound
    #YamahaSG #quartalharmony

User Info Menu

So, to keep the conversation going. I see Allan Holdsworth and Eric Johnson and I'm impressed that you pulled a lick from them, but it's so far and away from what I want to play... well, now I'm curious. hang on.

Okay, that's not what I expected and I need to look up that McCoy Tyner video now. I sat in a big band rehearsal last night and confirmed that my comping needs work.

User Info Menu

Watched the other video. These are the grips I play for a 7sus, it's cool to know I can use them other spots too.

Allan Holdsworth chords / 4th triad + added 5th

This is the 2nd lesson on Holdsworth chords. These differ from the last lesson in that we are doubling up one of the inner voices giving a 5th on top of the chord.

I cover these in Sheets of Sound for guitar Vol 1. It's really cool to hear them as well as see them.

The 4th triads with a 5th are diatonic and the first set are
    eada, fbeb, gcfc, adgd, beae, cfbf, dgcg.

Notice, the 2nd note in each group is doubled on top giving us a 5th on top.

They are notated with fret diagrams in the lesson.

They are really cool and sound awesome for comping. I often use them over Maj7, min7 and 7th chords.

For example, in this key, CMaj7, Dm7, G7.

I also demonstrate playing them outside of the chord. You can hear that in the 2nd notated example as I'm playing them in a pattern of up a minor 3rd and down a 1/2 step.

i.e.

E G F# A G# B A# C# C Eb D F E

The openness of 4th chords gives you the perfect opportunity to explore inside and outside sounds.

The last notated example shows how you can play these as arpeggiated sequences.

Make sure you check out my previous video called, "Allan Holdsworth / Eric Johnson style 4th triads".

I also have another lesson on my youtube site entited
    "Learn to play McCoy Tyner, inside/outside 4th+5th, quartal chords"

It's a longer video and has more insight about how to use 4th chords.

#sheetsofsound

The Allan Holdsworth lick from the 4ths + 5th video

Several folks wanted to know what the lick was so here it is.

The holdsworth lick from my Holdsworth 4ths + 5th video - YouTube

#sheetsofsound

User Info Menu

Good stuff, Jack.

Try this Holdsworth chord, it's the first chord from 'Looking Glass', not an easy stretch.

Jack Zucker's technique / lessons thread-holdsworth-type-chords-png

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Good stuff, Jack.

Try this Holdsworth chord, it's the first chord from 'Looking Glass', not an easy stretch.

Jack Zucker's technique / lessons thread-holdsworth-type-chords-png
    That's cool. That's one of the easier ones I've seen of his. There are very few of his licks I can play, especially at my age!