The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I play with the pick, hybrid and just fingers only depending on the situation. My fingernails are not long but I do use them to bite into the strings. At a certain length and hardness of my nails I get better sound. My nails are generally pretty thin and not real hard but flex and can bend easily. Then they get cut to below the bend. Lately I have been doing the dishes more by hand and working on bikes in the shop. This gets nails wet and soft and the constant battle to keep hands clean after working on bicycles and using oil, grease, ect. I wear nitrile gloves for that, but they do break and still can get my hands and nails pretty filthy.

So now on my right hand I down to not much nails in attack and it really reduces the quality of sound and my ability for fingerstyle playing. I can play with flesh entirely, but I don't like that much. I would curious is others had nail problems and what they do? I know for classical guitarist I am sure it can be something of upmost importance but in a pinch and when the tempo gets ridiculously fast. this old man just goes with the pick anyhow. Do many hear protect fingernails or have some insight I do not?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use a clear nail polish that prevents some of, but not all of this. I've taken to keeping my picking hand nails very short, the tip of the nail is barely even with the amount of flesh that sticks out, if viewed from the side.

User Info Menu

I have fairly soft nails too (though it sounds like not quite as soft as yours). I use super fine grit sandpaper to keep them polished so they sound good, but also I keep it in my wallet so I can sand out any little catches or nicks in the nail right away.

That can keep them from tearing so easily, when all the little notches and stuff are dealt with before they can catch on a pocket or something.

User Info Menu

I just use my finger when I hybrid, but I typically only hybrid when I'm comping and then I want the mellower tone. It's not that different between nail and fingertip. I mean, the cork sniffers here will recoil in disgust with that, but the average half drunk concert attendee who is spending 90% of the night ignoring you, they don't care between fingertip and nail tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I just use my finger when I hybrid, but I typically only hybrid when I'm comping and then I want the mellower tone. It's not that different between nail and fingertip. I mean, the cork sniffers here will recoil in disgust with that, but the average half drunk concert attendee who is spending 90% of the night ignoring you, they don't care between fingertip and nail tone.
    I guess that makes me a cork sniffer.

Probably makes minimal difference for just chord punches, but for separating notes at all the nails make a big difference. Definition, volume, tone, etc.

For what it’s worth, I was a classical guitar major in college. I keep 2000 grit sandpaper in my wallet. No going back

User Info Menu

We’re all cork sniffers here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    We’re all cork sniffers here.
    Yeah I was about to pop over to all the gear threads and tell them all the stuff about which the audience can’t hear the difference.

care to join?

User Info Menu

Acrylic gel at the nail studio every 5-6 weeks.

User Info Menu

I play both classical and electric guitar with my fingers. My nails are hard enough to work on steel strings, but I tend to keep them as short as possible and still get a decent tone. This avoids breakage.

I always file my right hand nails and never cut them, then polish them with a special file that I have on hand.

Sandpaper works just as well.

I find that a slightly longer nails give me a better tone, both on steel strings and nylon strings.

It’s always a balance to keep the nails just long enough, but not too long that they interfere with other tasks, or just get uncomfortable.

And yes, classical guitarists can go on for hours and hours about the nails. All sorts of nutrients, different kinds of files, or sandpaper, you name it. Recently someone recommended oatmeal to strengthen the nails.

Good thing I have porridge every morning.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I did the dishes this morning with rubber gloves a PIA but I do believe better. I never eat out so I always have dishes and the dishwasher gets some use but not every day. With just me around here no need. I did notice playing today the nails a bit better. I have to admit though the past few weeks of pick only my pick chops are remarkably better. I also wear full finger gloves cycling even when really hot out and they keeps the fingernail moist too probably contributes to breakdown. Cannot stop riding the bike or not using full gloves. Shorter nails better in general but if they are bit longer and harder I get slightly better sound and attack.