The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

what do you guys think of white music on black background for lesson videos?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A double edged sword...I find the tab easier to read, but the notation is more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A double edged sword...I find the tab easier to read, but the notation is more difficult.
    One thing I realized is that the title macro I am using in this example is obscuring the music. Here's a jpg of the screen without the title...

what do you guys think of white music on black background for lesson videos?-inverted-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images what do you guys think of white music on black background for lesson videos?-inverted-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think that's very much a matter of personal preference. Some will like it, some won't. I'm rather ambivalent about it, and I don't have enough experience with actually using it to say one way or another. It might be good to have the ability to switch back and forth quickly and easily.

User Info Menu

Oh, I thought this was going to be a cultural discussion on the history of modern jazz.

JK

User Info Menu

I don't know what it is, but the white note heads just get blurry for me. Maybe that's just me, wait until other people chime in.

There's a bias at work for me too-- in jazz videos I tend to assume the creator input the notation and the tab was automatically generated-- which means there could be "computer errors" where positions are whack (think the Sid Jacobs Bill Evans for guitar book)

So that means if it's a jazz video with notation and tab, I'm paying attention to the notation.

User Info Menu

Not as bad as white text on a black background, but not good. Tough to read, and strains the eyes.

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider is that with the notation all the way to the bottom of the screen, you can't pause the video without the Youtube play controls obscuring the bottom line of the notation.

User Info Menu

I use white on black exclusively on stage and often everywhere else. The quality of “dark mode” rendering is variable among apps, displays, video drivers etc. But iReal and Adobe Acrobat are both clear and easily readable for me on multiple Android tablets from Kindle Fire HD to a $20 cheapie, as long as the original file is clear in black on white. The same is true on my iPad.

User Info Menu

I think something like this is much easier to see.

(1) Gypsy Jazz Guitar | Douce Ambiance [Solo] Transcription - YouTube

User Info Menu

Black on white looks better to me. But most of all I like your (and others) YT lessons where TAB isn't even necessary. Where you keep the video short and to the point and the content is about one small easy to digest concept. You can just verbally name the notes and keep the overall BS to a minimum.. TAB and notation would be better kept to your Patreon offerings in my opinion.

User Info Menu

It was easy on the eyes, blends well with the video, and I was able to read the notation, I don't generally look at tab though. I like it.

User Info Menu

I find notation easier than tab, and I use it in your vids. I like black notes on white. Seems like the white isn't as contrasty and harder to see than black on white. Might be better without the transparency, if that's an easy option.

It is too bad YouTube throws up that banner on pause, but click the X and it goes away and stays gone for the rest of the session, on my machines anyway.

The gypsy vid that callous posted looks good. I like no transparency on the notation background better.

User Info Menu

I looked into this for graphic design and they did studies that on paper at least, black on white was easier to read. On the screen I personally use dark mode to relax my eyes so I think you’re fine either way

User Info Menu

I think that both solutions (white notes/tab on black background or viceversa) are godd but the best thing to do is a PDF file with the transccription of the exercises/examples.
    For this reason for all the videos on my YouTube channel you can download the PDF with notation, TAb and fingring from my personal website.

There are really Great Players on YouTube but I think that to play (wonderful) music for about half an hour WITHOUT a single note written on a page.....is a big mistake.

For me, to create a well written page with Finale is a very consuming task.....but as we know: "verba volant, scripta manent".

Ettore -https://www.quenda..it