The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Well, technique anyway, if not guitar “playing” technique- but here’s some over indulging using dynamic zoom in Davinci Resolve.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, I’d most welcome any comments, questions or random thoughts.

User Info Menu

looks great Mark!

More importantly, sounds amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    looks great Mark!

More importantly, sounds amazing!
    thanks! I was specifically trying to make this one appealing for the 85% of scrollers who have the sound off when watching videos.

User Info Menu

Always love your playing, Mark. The video looks good too, maybe too much editing for my taste, but others might prefer it.

I was contemplating buying DaVinci Resolve. Is it easy to match a wav/mp3 file with the video sound wave?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Always love your playing, Mark. The video looks good too, maybe too much editing for my taste, but others might prefer it.

I was contemplating buying DaVinci Resolve. Is it easy to match a wav/mp3 file with the video sound wave?
    davinci offers a free trial version that’s nearly full featured and no watermarks or time limits. I’d highly recommend downloading not see for yourself. Lining up sound wave files is really easy, but in fairness I have to warn that software has a steep learning curve and is taxing on computer resources depending what you’re trying to do. I’m finding it to be an amazing creative tool and upgraded to the paid version which is still crazy cheap at $300 one time and no subscription.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mark. After 15 years of using a really simple program, which ended with my similarly-aged laptop dying, I’m looking for something simple. Everything I look at seems inordinately complicated…at least for my brain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    davinci offers a free trial version that’s nearly full featured and no watermarks or time limits. I’d highly recommend downloading not see for yourself. Lining up sound wave files is really easy, but in fairness I have to warn that software has a steep learning curve and is taxing on computer resources depending what you’re trying to do. I’m finding it to be an amazing creative tool and upgraded to the paid version which is still crazy cheap at $300 one time and no subscription.
    I've been using davinci for months. Every once in a while I get a message saying that what i'm trying to do is not part of the free version. What exactly do you get in the paid version?

User Info Menu

I've been using davinci for months. Every once in a while I get a message saying that what i'm trying to do is not part of the free version. What exactly do you get in the paid version?
    10 bit video was the main thing for me. More of the fusion effects work and things like lens correction. Hard to recall now what else since I switched about 2 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    10 bit video was the main thing for me. More of the fusion effects work and things like lens correction. Hard to recall now what else since I switched about 2 years ago.
    they have a speed editor that is $400 and you get the pro upgrade with it. If I had more room on my desk...

DaVinci Resolve 18 – Keyboard | Blackmagic Design

User Info Menu

they have a speed editor that is $400 and you get the pro upgrade with it. If I had more room on my desk...

DaVinci Resolve 18 – Keyboard | Blackmagic Design
    that’s the package I bought except it was $300 back then. The sped editor is small and worth the space just for the jog wheel alone! To be honest, I only use a couple of the buttons,
    such as split and ripple cut, but even that simple shortcut saves huge time when making a video like this where I’ve got dozens of fades between 3 cameras. Just buy it !!!

User Info Menu

I use Davinci a lot. You can easily program shortcuts into your own keyboard, I didn't find much need to buy an external controller unless you do video editing full time.

The paid version mostly gives you video effects. I never needed them so far. I could easily do an hour long, five camera mix like this below on a mediocre laptop with the free version:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I use Davinci a lot. You can easily program shortcuts into your own keyboard, I didn't find much need to buy an external controller unless you do video editing full time.

The paid version mostly gives you video effects. I never needed them so far. I could easily do an hour long, five camera mix like this below on a mediocre laptop with the free version:

nice work man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter

fugettabout the video, your playing is off the charts!

User Info Menu

my apologies if this is covered somewhere, but what kind of camera do you use for your videos? Very nice and always appreciate your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    my apologies if this is covered somewhere, but what kind of camera do you use for your videos? Very nice and always appreciate your playing.
    Thank every much. I’m using 3 cameras. The front facing view is my best camera, a Sony a7iv with a 35mm Sony glass master lens. Then second camera is a Lumix fz80 which is angled down and from the side nearest to the headstock. The side view camera near m right arm is a zoomQ8.

All cams roll simultaneously and I edit after to fade between. The audio is recorded separately in a DAW. I know it sounds complicated but I’ve got the process down now where I can sit down with the guitar and go from record to publish in less than 2 hours. The guitar playing is the fastest easiest part of it. Most videos are first takes with zero editing of the performance or audio.