The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - Inside / Outside pentatonics - more detail

This lesson gives a feel for the McCoy Tyner-style pentatonics moving them in and out of the key and giving some concrete examples of how I approach this.

Several folks asked for this additional detail and I want to give you guys something more to work with so I hope this fits the bill.

Thanks for all your support and know that I feel your love and friendship.

-Jaz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    thanks so much for posting these videos its much appreciated. Here is a couple of videos of me spending some time with side slipping major pentatonics. I have found it a little tricky as your contradicting your muscle memory which has developed over time practicing patterns for pentatonic in one key.
    I am going to spend a couple of weeks focusing on this as I love the sound and want to get it internalised if you have anything on side slipping ii v's then that would. be great too cheers

i just saw these. Will take a listen later. For some reason, these were in my spam folder!

took a quick listen. Sounds great!

I like the minor one a little better because you can use these over triplets on the beat because the triplet creates its own sense of forward motion and movement. But on the major one, I'd suggest starting on an upbeat to get the forward motion happening.

User Info Menu

Hi
    good tip. I always have a tendency to start pentatonics on the beat. Ill practice what you have suggested and post up some progress in a few days. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your videos they do help by providing inspiration and ideas for further practice cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi
    good tip. I always have a tendency to start pentatonics on the beat. Ill practice what you have suggested and post up some progress in a few days. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your videos they do help by providing inspiration and ideas for further practice cheers
    Glad you find them useful. Your tone and playing sound solid in those videos!

User Info Menu

Hi
    so Ive been spending more time today on side slipping pentatonics. I think im going to spend a couple of hours out of my daily practice routine to work on this. Ive really enjoyed it and its really given me something to focus on. Up until now my playing has basically been centred on ii v 1s and the only tension has been when I solo over the 5 chord so this has been fun.

I tried to put it into practice on some tunes but I need to be patient its only day two but here is my attempt on invitation. I find this tempo quite tricky as well but here it is.