The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - simple 4ths lesson over Gm7 chord

Folks have been asking me to explain how I think about 4ths patterns and hopefully this lesson is helpful.

In it, I discuss a simple 4ths pattern and how I use it, rhythmic and melodic displacement, side stepping, bass melody and other techniques to move in and out of a simple chord.

Please let me know if you have any questions and comments and whether you find this useful.

Much love and respect to all my friends and fans.

-Jaz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack, I need to start paying more attention to your video lessons. Great job of showing the info concisely. When you showed that whole tone perfect fourth example about 4:40 seconds in it reminided me of those weird sounds Benson does sometimes. Sounds similar. (edit........upon listening to your Oleo video actually I think the George benson think I'm hearing in my head is more related to a Pentantonic side stepping thing with fourths)

I'm excited to see you expanding your videos more into teaching. You were born for it my friend.

One suggestion is to make a playlist on your youtube channel titled lessons. That way you can find them more easily and they are grouped together.
    Last edited by callouscallus; 08-05-2023 at 12:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quick bump for Jack as a teacher and writer. I have his first book and it's marvelous. I came into it from the saxophone and flute with pretty specific questions about guitar technique, and he's got lots of usable answers.

Love the video!

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    Quick bump for Jack as a teacher and writer. I have his first book and it's marvelous. I came into it from the saxophone and flute with pretty specific questions about guitar technique, and he's got lots of usable answers.

Love the video!
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate the kind words!