The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So this past March after getting on Mark C's wait list for a new guitar, I started to develop a case of trigger finger with my fret hand pinky. To say the least it bummed me out big time. I have spent more time looking at my guitars than playing them. For the most part my finger works when I'm playing but feels sluggish after I play for 20-30 minutes and take breaks and stretch, etc. The trigger part doesn't usually happen until after I stop playing, or later in the day. My Doctor told me about the surgery and I know quite a few on here have had it. For those who have or had trigger finger, is it possible to still play with it? Or as it becomes worse, will my finger lock up while I'm playing? I can deal with it acting up when I'm not playing, but if it's only going to get a lot worse I'll have the surgery before I order my guitar in 2 years.

As always,

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Remember, Django Reinhardt had a badly damaged left hand from a caravan fire when he was a youth. He had two fingers that didn't work at all. Still, he was a virtuoso on the guitar.
    Can you still play with a pinky trigger finger?-django-left-hand-jpg

User Info Menu

I know about that. What a different time that was. I just don't want to have my pinky lock up in the middle of a solo, etc. I know at some point I'll probably need to address it. I'm just not in a hurry if it's still functioning. I've used my pinky for 40+ years, and if I need to change I will.

User Info Menu

I had problems with my little finger of my left hand about 2 years ago. It was probably not what you would think of as a "trigger finger" but more pain in the last joint of the finger. I had been over practicing for several months (more than 8 hours a day).

My immediate action was to switch from four-finger play to three fingers, which was quite difficult for me. But the first goal was to take the pressure off the finger. I also greatly reduced my daily practice time.

I then checked my technique very thoroughly, paying attention to tensions, contact pressure, string position, etc.

After about 9 months I started using the finger again changing a couple of basic things:

• No more barre chords for the pinky.
    • For chords like minor 7 9 (9 on the first string) I now play the 9 with the ring finger and similarly for other chords.
    • Chords on the first 4 strings (like Gmaj7 on 5th position) are now done with index and ring finger
    • No more bendings with the pinky
    • Some more similar small things I don't recall right now.

Today I play normally again with four fingers, but with the improvements mentioned. But the whole process lasted more than a year and a half so patience is key.

Hope that helped

PS. One more thing: After the lock down ended last June I bought a road bike and do hour long bike tours 3 times a week at minimum ever since. I have the strong feeling that helped improve my finger problem a lot.

User Info Menu

A hand surgeon told me that outcomes improved significantly at a major hospital when they stopped Orthopedists without specific training in hand surgery from operating on hands. When the operations were done by fully trained hand surgeons, outcomes improved.

I believe it.

Trigger finger surgery is supposed to be so simple that they let the surgery students do it, or so I heard. Presumably with the proper supervision, but by the student's hands.

My recommendation: Board Certified Hand Surgeon and verify that he does the surgery with his own hands.