The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Just play 3 of the 4 notes. Life is too short.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are some good news. I have been practicing Barry Greene's chord position study (based on There Will Never Be Another You), and while simplifying some grips to be able to play it, I also set some time aside to persevere with that xx5766 drop2. Just gently asking my hand to find a way, no forcing or hurting. After a few months I can now hit it accurately maybe 70% of the time, which is good enough that I stopped simplifying it. There is still hope.

Notably, the improvement doesn't come from developing a deeper joint break, my finger is just as stiff as before. Somehow, the fingertip got pliable in the right way and now covers both strings. The remaining 30% inaccuracy comes from complicated position change rather than the grip itself.

So it's worth setting some time aside for the impossible stuff, one day it might become possible.

User Info Menu

Barre with index xx3333.

Barre with middle xxxx44.

Rest ring finger on middle.

Play xxx5xx with pinky OFF and ON up the fretboard.

At approx. fret 8 switch to the ring finger.... continue up.

REPEAT

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what the big concern is. That's a Gmi7, right? Play it with all four fingers. I didn't even know people tried to play it wth a barre. That's awkward.

Are we trying to play a lead line where we go for a C note on the first string? In other words a line from Bb to C?

Some options:
    • Lift your hand to play the C. The full chord sounds on the beat, the C on the "and" of the beat. The chord is still sounding in the listeners mind.

• Play a Gmi6 with a first finger barre and a free pinky to grab the C. xx5756

• As John said above, use a quartal voicing. xx5566

• Also - play it from the 5th string instead of the 4th
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 03-08-2021 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Does drop 2 actually mean that the 3 should be the highest pitched note in the voicing? (I see all these convoluted explanations on the web ...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Does drop 2 actually mean that the 3 should be the highest pitched note in the voicing?
    A 6 chord in drop 2 has these inversions: (bass note : soprano note)

1 : 3
    3 : 5
    5 : 6
    6 : 1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Does drop 2 actually mean that the 3 should be the highest pitched note in the voicing? (I see all these convoluted explanations on the web ...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To generate drop 2 voicings; (1) simply map out all inversions of any 7th chord, in close position.

7 R 3 5
    5 7 R 3
    3 5 7 R
    R 3 5 7

(2) Then rewrite them, dropping the second highest tone in each voicing down one octave into the bass voice.

3.................R
    R becomes 5

and so on...

Drop 3 works the same way, except that you drop the 3rd highest voice (or second lowest voice if you prefer)

R.................7
    7 becomes R

Take the highest note in a drop 2 chord and replace it with the same note an octave below and you get the drop 3 voicing.