The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi there

Strange question but since getting into jazz guitar I find playing without a pick just feels more comfortable than with,. Guess I need to just use a plectrum more,. ???

Does anyone have any advice on this, guess using thumb and fingers shouldn't be a problem.

Not that I'm ever going to be Wes Easier with a plectrum??

Regards
    Andy

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look, I didn't go to jazz school so I'm not sure what the rules are but if you like using a pick, use one. I doubt you'll be on your deathbed wishing you appeased the Jazz Guitar Forum by playing with your fingers.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure there's a definitive answer much beyond 'Whatever comfortably suits your needs'. For what it's worth I hybrid pick, although I know every day I play for at least a few minutes without a pick. But yeah, do whatever comfortably suits your needs.

User Info Menu

Andy, many jazz players use just their fingers. Check out Martin Taylor, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Look, I didn't go to jazz school so I'm not sure what the rules are but if you like using a pick, use one. I doubt you'll be on your deathbed wishing you appeased the Jazz Guitar Forum by playing with your fingers.
    ROFL....

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Picks?! You don't need no stinkin' picks!

User Info Menu

There are things that can be done better with fingers and other things that can be done better with a pick. There are great Jazz guitarists that trade off and do both (Pass, Remler) and others that stick to the method they're most comfortable with. I do both and when using a pick it's mostly hybrid picking.

User Info Menu

Originally influenced during my impressionable youth by my all-wise big brother who gave me a Wes album, a beat up flattop, and noted that “Wes plays with his thumb!”, I began playing with my thumb and have never since been comfortable playing with a pick.

Albert

User Info Menu

Bobby D in his above post hit the nail on the head, there are things one can't do or are easier with a pick and vice versa. Even a great fingerstyle musician like Martin Taylor uses a pick at times. My suggestion is to not lock yourself into one technique but work on both. And as others suggested try hybrid picking as well. Some very good musicians use a thumb pick and fingers e.g. Tommy Emmanuel. If you find you prefer fingers, go for it and be the best fingerstyle player you can be. Look at Wes, Martin Taylor, Paco De Lucia, Matteo Mancuso, Pasquale Grasso, Sylvain Courtney, Gene Bertoncini and Sylvan Luc to name a few.

User Info Menu

Bert Jansch.