The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 388

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    My favorite guitar pick is the Jim Dunlop Bakersfield thin white pick. Unfortunately it is no longer made. When I worked at a music store close to 20 years ago, I discovered these picks. They are still my go to pick - stiff and somewhat thin, but they give my notes a snap that I have never heard from any other pick. Fortunately the music store had almost 300 of these, so I bought out the whole stock! Cost me almost $200. but it was worth it. This is pretty much the only pick I use, and I still have well over 100 of them, and I keep them in a sealed box. Needless to say I guard them almost with my life!
    a great pick...they are rather fragile tho..for a light touch...bakersfields also had a black version...

i believe they were originally out of the mosrite guitar bakersfield company..the later dunlop versions were ever so slightly different...

they've been scarce for years!! last got a few in the mid 90's

hah (just found) everything you want to know-

Bakersfield - Vintage Guitar Picks And Things

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Blue Chip KS60 without speed bevels. For a slightly brighter sound then the KS50 (again, without speed bevels). They last forever, each pick has essentially 3 sides since it's an equilateral triangle, and they sound great. At first they sound a bit glassy but they settle in nicely (and do not wear out!!).

User Info Menu

Jazz III, red or black ones depending on the guitar/strings. They give slightly different tone.

User Info Menu

I don’t use a flat pick often, but when I do I pick with a Clayton horn.
    Last edited by Alder Statesman; 07-28-2018 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

After going through a mid-life pick crisis, I settled on Gravity Picks Classic Mini. They really work well for me for both electric and acoustic. I will occasionally use a Dunlop Tortex Jazz III, but Gravity is my go to. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Jazz III, red or black ones depending on the guitar/strings. They give slightly different tone.
    I also use mostly the Dunlop's Jazz III . I also use the Fender Teardrop Heavy, but these are hard to find (e.g. local Guitar Center doesn't carry them) and I notice the newer ones get a damaged rather quickly (e.g. a nick in them that can get caught up on a string).

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop jazz III or Wegan Gypsy jazz. Somewhere, I have a tiny Danny Gatton Signature Pick

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm. Slightly modified with a belt sander for better sound: cleaner attack without as much "click", and richer tone. Narrowed the working bit a bit.

I like the tone, and that it's thick and shaped/textured enough to hang on to with ease.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Standard 351 size, celluloid, 1.20 - 1.50, sideways.

User Info Menu

Fender extra heavy 354

User Info Menu

Little bitty Fender 358 heavy or Dunlop 205 on electric, Dunlop 1.14mm or pieces of the shells of deceased sea creatures on acoustic. Also use Fred Kelly thumbpicks a lot.

User Info Menu

Dawg Pick (David Grisman)

User Info Menu

Fender heavy for great jazz tone. Dunlop 088mm for everything else.

A good friend and member here sent me a few Dugain pics from France. Different materials for different tones. Amazing jazz pics.

DUGAIN PLECTRUMS ERGONOMIC GUITAR PICKS

User Info Menu

Keep coming back to these:

User Info Menu

Golden Gate MP-12. It's a large, heavy mandolin pick.

I think it produces a softer sound than my prior pick, the Dunlop 206.

User Info Menu

I'm a big D'Andrea pro plec fan, but for the past few weeks I've been getting into gypsy jazz again, and I dug out my old Dugain. Wow, being waaaaay out of practice it feels a bit like I'm holding 4 picks while I'm playing, but the sound!

User Info Menu

dunlop .88 max grip

User Info Menu

Dunlop Ultex - 1.14, 1.0 for jazz, .73 for light gauge strings/ blues/fusion, and large Dunlop Jazz III in ultex for everything, but mostly Pro Plec for jazz. Wish they made every size and thickness in Ultex, it's my favorite material.

User Info Menu

Thalia 1.4mm

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazztone 204

User Info Menu

There's really nothing that doesn't sound great using these amazing plectrums I keep finding in my pockets.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm

I drop most other picks
    I'm quite a clumsy picker tho and
    Can't do delicate type stuff just thump thump
    So don't take any advice from me

I think I'm addicted to thick picks now too
    Can't use a pick with any flex at all
    even for funky strumming things ... go figure

User Info Menu

Am I the only guy into rubber and wood?

User Info Menu

I never tried rubber. I have a number of wooden picks, of various species, some of which I made and some of which I bought. I'm not crazy about wood, but I do like it better than bone and horn, or stone. But different people have different preferences.

User Info Menu

I ordered and received Dunlop Jazztone 205's based on suggestions on this thread. I really like it. It's fast and creates a big sound. I also like it's pebbly feel in my fingers.