The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    I made a short video briefly showing some of my right hand picking approach. Enjoy, let me know what you think, post vids of your technique or others that you think work well. A longer more detailed video is in the works.
    all the best
    Tim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

nice tim..put me in mind of this jimmy bruno vid

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice. Important point about attitude of hand in your different approaches.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Tim. Very insightful. I've never been able to "float" that way, though I do try from time to time. I can see the advantage.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 04-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thanks, Tim. Very insightful. I've never been able to "float" that way, though I do try from time to time. I can see the advantage.
    Mark, It took me some time to get comfortable with floating (long long ago) but its worth the work and patience it takes to get it, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Dear Tim,

your music is so wonderfully relaxed flowing from your hands and you have a lot of dynamic and precision in your picking. I wonder how that works without any sort of anchoring (also with respect to the interesting article of Tuck Andress).

I wonder what your take on the angle of pick is (slanting or edge picking) and how you think about rest strokes. It appears to me that you have a relatively parallel-to-the-strings angle of attack (but I maybe wrong since I could not quite see very well on my phone) and you also slant upwards when going towards the bass strings. Is that a trained conscious change of pick angle or did it somehow evolve?

In any case - thanks for the interesting video!

Very interesting, and you play really wonderfully. Thanks for the insight! I took an opposite approach than yours, I change completely my attitude and right hand position depending on the kind of sound I wanna have in that moment. I even change the way I hold the pick. For instance I like to have a light attack on notes, so I try to achieve that with a particular right hand technique. But then if I play with a bit of overdrive it just doesn't work anymore, so I change to something different. For me it's always sound first, that decides if I'll just pick, hybrid or just fingers. I don't really know if it's a good approach, I know it sounds messy, but it works for me.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Dear Tim,

your music is so wonderfully relaxed flowing from your hands and you have a lot of dynamic and precision in your picking. I wonder how that works without any sort of anchoring (also with respect to the interesting article of Tuck Andress).

I wonder what your take on the angle of pick is (slanting or edge picking) and how you think about rest strokes. It appears to me that you have a relatively parallel-to-the-strings angle of attack (but I maybe wrong since I could not quite see very well on my phone) and you also slant upwards when going towards the bass strings. Is that a trained conscious change of pick angle or did it somehow evolve?

In any case - thanks for the interesting video!
    the floating takes some time to get but is worth it, it actually facilitates the tipping of the pick, I tip the pick forward about 25 degrees so I play off of the leading edge for down strokes and the back edge for up strokes, I also use a paintbrush like approach to make directional picking flow smoothly. it kind of hard to write about it but I have been convinced by students to make a longer more detailed video about the minutia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Mark, It took me some time to get comfortable with floating (long long ago) but its worth the work and patience it takes to get it, in my opinion.
    Thanks, Tim. This Sunday is Easter, a hopeful sign, so maybe this time round it will all come together for me. Hope so!

User Info Menu

Very nice Tim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I also have a floating right hand kind of like that. I tuck my pick to for some hybrid, though probably not a nicely as you go. Maybe it's in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

t it kind of hard to write about it but I have been convinced by students to make a longer more detailed video about the minutia.
    Yay! Minutia is our middle name!

User Info Menu

...I have been convinced by students to make a longer more detailed video about the minutia.
    Please do!

And thank you for all the great vids you've already done!

User Info Menu

Trying this it some, the size and shape of the pick (at least for starters) seems rather pertinent.

I did notice that when I pick finger style that I use a fair amount of movement pulling up with say index while extending middle to get it above the lower string for the next pluck. Even holding the knuckles together the puck is getting wiggled around so much I'd have to change the force used in picking. Less finger movement.

You pull it off beautifully.

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

here is a clip for comparison about how I play fingerstlye without a pick stuck in my fingers.

hopefully this sheds a little light

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Thanks, Tim.
    In the previous video (-the OP) you mentioned elbow movement. ("Picking from the elbow", I think it's called. Jimmy Bruno does that and recommends it, though he says if you've been playing a long time, the change will take awhile.) In this video, it seems your arm (between elbow and wrist) is resting on the body of the guitar. Does that impinge on elbow movement?

Also, is your arm like that when you play an archtop? (I've seen you play them but offhand, I can't remember this detail.) The way your arm is there is like mine was when I played a Strat (sitting) for many years. But an archtop, which is all I play now, is a very different animal! Is this an issue for any of your students? If so, what do you suggest?

(I feel like I've called into a radio show. "I'll hang up and listen.")

User Info Menu

Thanks Tim for your wonderful insight. I greatly enjoy your youtube videos and really like your playing. Thanks for sharing your gift!

User Info Menu

hopefully this sheds a little light

all the best
    Tim
    Very cool, and very personal, I see that you don't alternate fingers much in single-note passages, a sort of fingerstyle "economy picking". another thing to try!