The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 26 of 26
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Certainly, Matt, those voicings might work in another context but they are not what I am after here. And surely you have heard of Ram's Lament --- also known as There Will Never Be Another Ewe.
    Nice... :-)

Yeah. If it's fast, it basically comes down to practice, 10,000 hours etc, but they're slightly more to it. Take some time to really examine how you actually execute chord moves which you already play really well , and watch really good players with this as well.

Most of us don't move to a new chord at the very moment we need it played . If you video yourself or others playing chords quickly and well, I think you'd be surprised at just how early we move generally. See if you can almost time in it to a subdivision of the beat. at that point, you have something specific to work on technically it's slower tempos .

With very beginner students who are having trouble with chord movements, very often we work on actually executing a left-hand move on a specific subdivision of the beat before the strum this way. From the way I hear things and hear others play, generally our ears have a much lower tolerance for playing late versus playing early. There are similar expectations re left hand /right hand differences in articulation with slides /hammer ons etc. etc.

These are the kind of things which really can't be taught to rank beginners without a good bit of work , but if you already play , it's worth considering the disconnect we all have with remembering how we learned a lot of this in the first place. For most of us, there is a great lack of understanding of what we actually DO technically to execute certain things. want you can execute it, it's not really important to understand it on some nerdy level, but it does help to abstract out into broader concepts if you're trying to apply to me things.

Much of teaching lessons involves seeing a problem in someone's playing, asking yourself "how do I do that? I don't really know..." , and then, basically playing for YOURSELF, to try to learn something articulate and concrete about a process which is mostly unconscious and non-verbal/non-descriptive.

Although most of the issue is just a 10,000 hour problem , which could be solved by just plugging away, there are insights to be gained in analyzing what you already do well in other contexts and what other people do in the technical execution basic moves , (especially as pertains to time in my opinion). 5K hrs is better than 10k. :-)

Shoot a video of yourself playing something you play well and check out some YouTube videos of other players utilizing the slowdown feature.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-06-2017 at 01:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary