Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Btw. is "technique" the right phorum for swing&feel question?:P

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Btw. is "technique" the right phorum for swing&feel question?:P
    I would say yes, but this is more a philosophic question :-D. I think it has also many to do with right technique. Accents, Legato, Staccato. I started this thread here, because there was many technical things with wasn't really clear to me, to produce a good swing sound. Technique and sound is nearly the same thing for me.

By the way, Thank you all. Your critics are really great, there a positiv and negative points and that is great. Its so true, that you have to feel comfortable while playing. Sometimes i got this point, where i got the feeling, that every thing feels good. Then there are times, where everything feels uninspired. I think this has much to do which the ability to really lock in the groove.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ginod
    I would say yes, but this is more a philosophic question :-D. I think it has also many to do with right technique. Accents, Legato, Staccato. I started this thread here, because there was many technical things with wasn't really clear to me, to produce a good swing sound. Technique and sound is nearly the same thing for me.

By the way, Thank you all. Your critics are really great, there a positiv and negative points and that is great. Its so true, that you have to feel comfortable while playing. Sometimes i got this point, where i got the feeling, that every thing feels good. Then there are times, where everything feels uninspired. I think this has much to do which the ability to really lock in the groove.

Yeah,
    I was trolling a bit there.

From my experience it is and isn't about tech so much. I mean, it can be either musical or technical. I don't know which one is it even when playing myself.

I suggested to play some nice pretty tunes before having your real-run. It wakes up the parts of the mind where all the musical experiences are hidden. It helps me a lot and I feel it eliminates the musical stumbling, leaving technical ones on display. Dunno if that makes sense. Anyway - as always, I'm probably the weakest player here so my advice may be um.. green.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Flex your buttcheeks
    Yes! That's what to do!

I bet Wes' buttcheeks were a sight to behold

User Info Menu

I thought this was an interesting perspective:

User Info Menu

Thank you for the video of Blues for Alice.
    You are quiet far in playing already I think.
    And by now you have already tons of tips to digest.

But I couldn't resist...here is even more.
    I notice in your solo that you play a bit heavy on the beat.
    Your playing would almost litterly lift-off if you start and end on the offbeat.
    That keeps it light and swinging.

Of course I couldn't resist to record some.
    You hear me playing short lines, beginning and ending on the offbeat. Even a bunch of offbeats in a row. Hope it makes sense.
    0.00-2-26 with metronome
    2.27-end with backingtrack.

Succes!

Hans

User Info Menu

Just spend a day listening to Louis A. and his Hot Five, esp. the recordings with Earl Hines on piano. There aren't all that many recordings, less than 100 in total, and a good number can be found on YouTube. A lot of this music still has a two-beat feel to it, but these two swing like crazy.

Then listen to the soloists with the early Basie Band, to hear swing against an "honest 4 beats to the measure".

Then spend some time with Parker and Gillespie, and then some 50's hard bop stuff, where the looseness of the rhythm section had become standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    Thank you for the video of Blues for Alice.
    You are quiet far in playing already I think.
    And by now you have already tons of tips to digest.

But I couldn't resist...here is even more.
    I notice in your solo that you play a bit heavy on the beat.
    Your playing would almost litterly lift-off if you start and end on the offbeat.
    That keeps it light and swinging.

Of course I couldn't resist to record some.
    You hear me playing short lines, beginning and ending on the offbeat. Even a bunch of offbeats in a row. Hope it makes sense.
    0.00-2-26 with metronome
    2.27-end with backingtrack.

Succes!

Hans
    Thank you so much, thats really inspiring and sounds great. Your lines sound really cool. Thats a very interesting point to improve my own playing.

User Info Menu

Thanks gonod, glad to be there to help, inspire. Just remember, It takes time to get this offbeat frasing under your skin, but It will reward you bigtime. (at least it did for me)