The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Quick history: My mom (who was a jazz pianist) had a "trigger finger" (a finger that clicks stuck, stays there, and causes a lot of pain), and over the last few years I've inherited it.

I can still play at this point, but what I've tried is various physical therapies, (no luck), some cortisone shots, (little luck), and am thinking about the surgery, which isn't by any surgical definition complex or difficult, has a high success rate, but which I still haven't heard anything about from other musicians. That's the kind of feedback I'd like to get. I use that finger because I play ~50% with my fingers, ~50% with a pick.

If someone wasn't doing something that required pretty heavy motor skills with that finger, then the definition of success would be a lot different (or I think it would). It might be "getting rid of pain", but losing some control of the finger.

I suppose I'd just like to hear from anyone that has had this trigger finger surgery and what the aftermath was like, and how it affected, if at all, their playing.

Thanks ahead of time:

I guess I've met people with trigger fingers in all age ranges, but it is mostly a "getting older" kind of deal, so the young ones are the exception. I think this started around 50 for me. After the last shot "expired" (2 weeks back), the pain is somewhat like a toothache all the time, so it's significant, but if I could play as well as before, I'd probably choose to live with the pain and forget the surgery.

--

Hashi

YouTube - Kanaal van hachamacha

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I still haven't had this surgery but it's within the next month from now, so I thought I'd push this back to the top in the hopes of learning something from someone that has,

Thanks, and sorry for the bump. It'll be the only one since a month isn't very long and I need to somehow try to get back to playing.

Hashi

User Info Menu

My old man is having this surgery in December. He plays multi instruments and his trigger finger (on both hands) is causing him to not be able to play as much as he would like.

I think that Surgery is really the best method of dealing with this stuff. That is if your Doctor recommends it. They know more then we do about this stuff.

User Info Menu

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to schedule mine for mid-October, and I also have it on multiple fingers but only one is a killer.

Best wishes to your dad with his surgery. Hopefully we'll both come out of this thing playing well.

I've tried all the non-surgical routes at this point and agree that surgery is the only shot.

Hashi

User Info Menu

I had a similar surgery about a year ago on my left ring-finger, and I still need to be careful when lifting weights or doing anything that requires pulling (like pulling a heavy lawn cart), but other than that it has been just fine.

In my case they opened up the joint and exposed the ligament, did some other stuff, then closed it. I was told the sheath over the ligament would scar over, so it was necessary for me to keep the finger active --- gentle guitar playing was ideal for me after a couple weeks.

If I push on the joint I can still feel it, so I'm not sure it will ever be 100%, but the finger works perfectly.

Not that I would advocate surgery, but in my case it was a 'no-brainer'.

User Info Menu

My wife (63) had the surgery about six years ago, both hands. During the past year the finger on the right hand has started "sticking" again.

User Info Menu

Hi gt,

Thanks for the input. Just hearing that "The finger work's perfectly" is a nice thing. Keeping my finger's active will be no problem at all. I tend to practice like a nut, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to resume the 4-6 hours/day + gigs regime, but realize that not all we want is to be had.

I don't think I'd know what to do without pain, so that part isn't of any deterrent value to me. If I'm pretty sure the finger will work afterward, then I'd be happy to have some extra pain.

Thanks,

Hashi

Quote Originally Posted by gravyTrain
    I had a similar surgery about a year ago on my left ring-finger, and I still need to be careful when lifting weights or doing anything that requires pulling (like pulling a heavy lawn cart), but other than that it has been just fine.

In my case they opened up the joint and exposed the ligament, did some other stuff, then closed it. I was told the sheath over the ligament would scar over, so it was necessary for me to keep the finger active --- gentle guitar playing was ideal for me after a couple weeks.

If I push on the joint I can still feel it, so I'm not sure it will ever be 100%, but the finger works perfectly.

Not that I would advocate surgery, but in my case it was a 'no-brainer'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garryrenfro
    My wife (63) had the surgery about six years ago, both hands. During the past year the finger on the right hand has started "sticking" again.
    Hi Garry,

Thanks for the reply. On balance: How does your wife feel about having had the surgery? I think that if I went through this and it was still stuck, that I'd really feel like it was time to rethink playing. Does your wife play music or do things that require fine motor skills with that finger?

Thanks and best of luck,

Hashi

User Info Menu

Hey Hashi,
    Kit plays piano, clarinet, and messes around with banjo, but not so much in recent years. She is always involved with activities like sewing. She finds it painful and frustrating doing everyday things, like cooking, gardening, working crosswords. I wish you the best and quick healing.
    Garry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garryrenfro
    Hey Hashi,
    Kit plays piano, clarinet, and messes around with banjo, but not so much in recent years. She is always involved with activities like sewing. She finds it painful and frustrating doing everyday things, like cooking, gardening, working crosswords. I wish you the best and quick healing.
    Garry
    Thanks for the update:

It sounds frustrating. I was out of town last week and with some symphonic musicians from major cities. I asked this question of them, and didn't get very much good feedback, but they told me they'd look into the few surgeons that exclusively do surgery on musicians, and also friends that'd had it done.

I'll post back to this thread when I find out more. I'm putting my surgery on hold for the moment. Out of ~13 or 14 people I've now talked to, the results just aren't decent enough, yet every surgeon I talk to claims 100% success

(I think they've got their own special math).

Thanks,

Hashi

User Info Menu

As of today, I've started to post some video on YouTube that is going to be surrounding the period of (I hope surrounding) a surgery I'm having on a trigger finger next week.

As a precaution and for sanity, I'm learning chromatic harp while I'm out of commission on my right hand. I used it for the first time in an upload today of:

Days of Wine and Roses by Mancini:

I hope to have something up after the surgery as quickly as I can play decently. If not, I'll post something about how it went anyway.

PS: I made the mistake of competing with a few noisy fans using a microphone because it's too hot to play any other way. The result is a very poor recording, which I'll fix the soundtrack of when it's cooler. Also: I'm using a guitar someone left around here that isn't much of a guitar but that I've for some reason gotten used to playing after doing a setup. I think it's a 100-200 buck instrument. The sound of this recording isn't at all the fault of that guitar.

Hashi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Great playing on both guitar & harp Hashi! I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery and am looking forward to a lot more of your music afterwards!

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I just took a listen to a couple of your tunes, subscribed, etc, and loved em. You're a heck of a player.

Thanks much for your words,

Hashi

User Info Menu

I've had nothing else to add recently, but I wanted to mention for anyone contemplating trigger finger surgery that this has so far gone extremely well for me.

It was pretty well as advertised by my doctor. 1 rough week, and then the last 3 weeks have been totally absent of my useless trigger finger problems (as in it seems "cured"), but quite a bit of pain revolving around my scar tissue introduced by the cutting.

I've now got that mostly under control, 95% range of motion back, and am improving daily. No more Harp uploads at the moment but I've been playing it nonstop off line. I probably tossed some new guitar uploads on YouTube but these were just because I've begun more serious guitar practice again as well and have a few new uploads but they're a bit "creaky". (out of practice)

I had an urge to try a diatonic harp, so I bought a special 20 Hohner, and immediately learned how to play a chromatic scale (which literally felt like it was going to kill me and sounded like utter crap) , which of course, wound up with me blowing out 3 or 4 reeds ;) I can see that it would take , as always , huge devotion in order to play any jazz on a single diatonic, but I did manage to learn each of the critical overblows at least once before I destroyed the harp. I think I'll save myself some agony (and you too) by not taking that road for a long time. The funny thing is that despite my having done this, and having gapped it myself based on some online info, that I can't play any overblows since my two days of craziness and endless practice since that time ;)

Thanks to everyone that helped me through this trigger finger surgery and I'll be trying to participate in this forum as I can.

Hashi

PS: If anyone wants or needs any details on where, who and how I had the trigger finger surgery done and how I did PT to recover more quickly afterward, I'd be happy to supply it in the form of an email or private message (whatever this forum allows). I was quite reluctant (7 years worth) to get this done myself. I've kept a YouTube journal of this and it is about done now. I don't know how to give a pointer to a playlist but on my youtube site (youtube.com/hachamacha) it's the playlist called trigger finger surgery journal.

User Info Menu

So I'm extremely glad I found this thread. I just got diagnosed with trigger finger this week. Actually, what a relief! I thought I just sucked at guitar
    So good to know I haven't necessarily hit a wall in my playing, just a medical hurdle that needs clearing.
    I would be interested in hearing as much as anyone here will share. Right now, I'm on inflamation meds to see if we can clear this thing up without shots or surgery. But I obviously have to keep more drastic options in the back of my mind should medication not suffice.
    How long after your surgery were you able to pick up a guitar again? How long until you noticed improvement? How bad/painful was the surgery?
    I don't want to quit guitar over all this, but I also don't know that I'd stand for a several month recovery period before I could start playing again. I'd probably just opt not to have the surgery if that were the case.
    Anyway, any testimonies anyone wants to share will be very appreciated. I noticed there's not a lot out there on trigger finger from a musicians standpoint. I also found I threw off the age curve by quite a few years on this thing, since I am in my 20's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pink snare
    So I'm extremely glad I found this thread. I just got diagnosed with trigger finger this week. Actually, what a relief! I thought I just sucked at guitar ;)
    So good to know I haven't necessarily hit a wall in my playing, just a medical hurdle that needs clearing.
    I would be interested in hearing as much as anyone here will share. Right now, I'm on inflamation meds to see if we can clear this thing up without shots or surgery. But I obviously have to keep more drastic options in the back of my mind should medication not suffice.
    How long after your surgery were you able to pick up a guitar again? How long until you noticed improvement? How bad/painful was the surgery?
    I don't want to quit guitar over all this, but I also don't know that I'd stand for a several month recovery period before I could start playing again. I'd probably just opt not to have the surgery if that were the case.
    Anyway, any testimonies anyone wants to share will be very appreciated. I noticed there's not a lot out there on trigger finger from a musicians standpoint. I also found I threw off the age curve by quite a few years on this thing, since I am in my 20's. :p
    Wow - Coincidentally I just did a recording that I stopped by here to mention on YT. I haven't been by to look since I posted the last thing. Hey - sorry to hear you've got the thing, but I guess the good news is that there's a way to get through this. I've been playing since 1 week after surgery, and now it's as if I never had the surgery or the problem. Possibly a little scar tissue left, but not enough to get in the way of playing at all. My finger is actually stronger too.

Well, you can feel free to message me if you need to know anything in particular, and you also should probably try cortisone shot(s) before going for surgery, but I had little luck with them. I hear that 50% of the time those work.

I hope it clears up for you without anything else. -- Best wishes to you - Hashi

Oh yeah :: just posted this on YouTube ::

I don't know if that's proof that the surgery works or just that I'm insane, perhaps both ;)

User Info Menu

So I'm at a point of decision when it comes to going forth with surgery.
    To anyone who's had it... how painful is the recovery? Be honest with me here. I need to know what to expect.
    And is it local anthesthsia or general?

User Info Menu

So I'm at a point of decision when it comes to going forth with surgery.
    To anyone who's had it... how painful is the recovery? Be honest with me here. I need to know what to expect.
    And is it local anthesthsia or general?
    Even though I had one 5 months back, and recovered fully, actually have more strength in the affected finger on my right hand than before, I have to say that there's no way to know what to expect.

2 weeks ago, I had my 2nd and 3rd trigger finger surgeries at the same time (adjacent fingers 3rd and 4th on left hand), so basically twice the surgery, nearly the same amount of surgical time, (<1 hour). This time I ran into some bad luck that I think will resolve itself, or at least I sure hope it will.

On the first trigger finger 5 months back, I asked to be awake and without numbing anymore than needed to get me through it, and that's how it worked. I watched the entire thing, and I didn't want them to close until I had tested the finger so I watched it , actually enjoyed seeing this thing, and it worked great before it was closed. Then they closed and that was that. I was playing after a fashion the next day and playing pretty well as soon as the 'hand bandage' was off.

On my last one 2 weeks ago, since it was longer, more painful, I allowed them to put me under, which means they use of course, some general , but also a lot of local because you're not there to tell them "hey, go easy". The anesthesiologist doesn't want you to wake up screaming after they cut into the center of your palm and yanked out the tendons of both fingers, so they figure they will avoid this by numbing your fingers for ~1-2 days with local.

For most people, fine. For me, I have a reaction to some local anesthetic, and as a result I won't be able to feel my left hand for 2-3 months (best guess).

The good news is that the trigger fingers are no longer trigger fingers, they both work well, and I have good range of motion. I'm working hard doing PT with my other hand to soften up scar tissue and bend the fingers, and I can play guitar 50-70% of what I could before, and expect a full recovery. The bad news is that while the fingers stay numb, it's easy to wound them since you don't know without looking.

I guess I would never have this done unless you have your back up against the wall and can't play anyway, can't handle the pain anyway (both were true for me with all three fingers. )

Would I have this done again? Yes, in a heartbeat. I had 3 locked fingers that were no longer releasable due the white gunk that forms on the tendons on both sides of the sheath, and unless I was 'done' typing and playing guitar, and a million other things, I was screwed for playing, so yes.

Best of luck to you. PS: Usually these TF surgeries work out quite well but you always have to realize you a trading "fixing your problem" for "scar tissue" and that most of the healing process is up to you and your willingness to massage away as much scar tissue as possible.

User Info Menu

Hello....I just saw this post. I had 4 of these surgeries. If you haven't had the surgery yet and you still want info, I'd be glad to assist.....

User Info Menu

Thanks, Room -

I had 3 of these surgeries this year and am going through some rough stuff from the last one, but PT will get me through it.

there's a video I put up about my last TF surgery here:

link: YouTube - Kanaal van hachamacha

Thanks,

Hashi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Room335
    Hello....I just saw this post. I had 4 of these surgeries. If you haven't had the surgery yet and you still want info, I'd be glad to assist.....
    Yes! I'd love info. I'm pretty much to the point I have to have surgery or give up guitar (or be content playing very poorly).

Wondering about the pain level of the surgery/recovery time... has the surgery been effective/helped you play guitar better... and well, anything else you want to tell me.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I should probably specify that my triggering isn't really an issue except where guitar is concerned.
    Occasionally it sticks while I'm typing, but I don't wake up with a bent finger or anything. Guitar is basically the only reason I know I have a problem. Which is unfortunate, because it's obviously not serious... just serious enough to keep me from doing what I enjoy.

User Info Menu

I should probably specify that my triggering isn't really an issue except where guitar is concerned.
    Occasionally it sticks while I'm typing, but I don't wake up with a bent finger or anything. Guitar is basically the only reason I know I have a problem. Which is unfortunate, because it's obviously not serious... just serious enough to keep me from doing what I enjoy. :rolleyes:
    I just am finishing up my first 24 PT/OT appointments which have been terrifically helpful. I'm at least 50% back with range of motion & numbness. At this point I'm seeing progress each couple of days and probably will be in good shape in another 2 months.

Here's another video I made a few days ago on YT that shows some progress (just a recording of Ain't Misbehavin), but playing has come a long way considering I couldn't play for months because of the 2 bad fingers on the left hand.

Serious enough to keep you from what you like to do seems pretty serious to me ;)

Best of luck to you. If you want to know the names of the doctor, PT's locations whatever, let me know. I've been really happy with the doctor as he is well able to communicate, supports the aftercare, and did a fine job on the problem itself (cleaning the tendons and slitting the sheath). He's worked on a lot of musicians that use all their fingers (like classical guitarists) and they are all OK or at least those I talked with were.

link to my most recent recording on YT:

User Info Menu

Ok, we're set to go. I

Question, Hashi and anyone else who wants to answer... are there any exercises or massage techniques I should employ to prevent scar tissue formation?
    Also, my doctor didn't recommend post-op therapy... is that something I should seek out on my own?

User Info Menu

Also, Hashi, did you use pain killers? How did they work for you? My doc says most of his patients never need them... but then I'm reading about all these people who complain of lots of pain...

User Info Menu

Another similar question. I had an episode of trigger finger last year and had a cortisone shot around November. Everything was OK for a while however, the sypmtoms started reappearing around May this year. It's affecting my guitar playing a little although some days more than others. I was wondering if anyone had tried multiple shots before going to surgery and whether they were successful. I don't really want to go to the surgical solution if I don't have to.