The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

While playing and trying to record some personal licks, I happened to set my pick down and in a moment of laziness used my thumb for a lick.

It was unbelievable to me just how much better it sounded than my pick. There was what I would call, a true warmth about each note that none of my picks can match. And it was definitely darker, without the higher pitch sound the pick makes as it twangs on the metal strings.

I know its is impossible, but do any of you know of a pick that can replicate the warmth of a thumb?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

This is only a guess, but if you're really keen on trying to replicate the sound of the thumb, look into a felt ukulele pick. There are videos on youtube on how to make them.

User Info Menu

Or learn to play with your thumb

User Info Menu

a felt pick will get you in the right direction...just don't be put off by it when it's brand new...use it..and the tip will eventually reshape to your picking style...

many electric bass players used them to get a warmer tone..and great with flatwounds

dunlop makes 'em..definitely worth checking into.. i used one just this morn!

That Thumb....Is there a pick that can match its warmth?-feltpicks-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Felt pick. Rubber Wedgies but they shred Wedgie Rubber Guitar Picks
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been trying to find a thumbpick that'll do that, for 25 years. I don't think such a thing exists. I'd say one would have to learn some kind of sleight-of-hand to "palm" the pick. For fingerstyle playing, or to switch to thumb-only. Mimi Fox comes to mind as one player who's incredibly adept at this. Myself, since I was never a fast player, anyway, slowing down and switching to thumb (no pick of any kind) and fingers gives me that nice warm tone the OP describes.

User Info Menu

yeah thumbs definitely been known to work for some...

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Felt pick. Rubber Wedgies but they shred Wedgie Rubber Guitar Picks
    those look interesting, Jabbs. I would think they would catch/drag on the string and slow things down; is that the case?

User Info Menu

Wow!

Thanks for all these new options that I did not know existed.

Also, I am experimenting with using the thumb on slower lines. I can't use it on fast lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Also, I am experimenting with using the thumb on slower lines. I can't use it on fast lines.
    I'm kinda shocked to see how simple his picking style is, with just the thumb. Is that standard for him? (Yeah, I'm new.)

Wes seems like more of a hammer and pull-off style than a picking style. Amazing when the camera showed the thumb in those triplets, just plucking once so the frets could do the real work. I just did my first pull-off a couple weeks ago, and now I'm all over that. Thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by macuaig
    Thanks for the link.
    excelsior!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    excelsior!!
    Keep your knees loose!!
    Last edited by macuaig; 08-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    those look interesting, Jabbs. I would think they would catch/drag on the string and slow things down; is that the case?
    Yes, they do, in particular, the Soft grade.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-14-2016 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

You might consider other fingers that you can use like a thumb. (Hint: Don't use your thumb this way, you need it as an opposable finger).
    That Thumb....Is there a pick that can match its warmth?-article-0-1a3f80d9000005dc-669_634x424-jpg

It has the added benefit of being a real conversation piece when you play weddings. But don't lose them. They're quite costly.

David

User Info Menu

Let us not forget the great Jim Mullen - he demonstrates his thumb technique in this video:

User Info Menu

That Thumb....Is there a pick that can match its warmth?-jim-mullen-thumbs-up-504571-jpg He also played Tele ( with his thumb ) back in the day...Morrissey Mullen Band..etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    That Thumb....Is there a pick that can match its warmth?-article-0-1a3f80d9000005dc-669_634x424-jpg
    I once played a pick up round of golf with two strangers. After not saying much for the first few holes we finally started small talk. I asked one what he does for a living and he said that he was a carpenter. I told him that I could never do that for a living for fear of cutting off my fingers with power tools. He didn't say anything but pulled off his golf glove to reveal some missing digits. We didn't speak for the rest of the round as far as I recall. The further irony is that I have enough power tools to build a house. Still have all of my digits though. And, btw, I am a thumb and finger picker. Can't really use a pick effectively.

User Info Menu

Doh!

That Thumb....Is there a pick that can match its warmth?-51rcxifpopl-_sy355_-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Kevin's one of my favorite finger/thumb players:

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine, not sure he's exclusive to the thumb, but this is swingin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I once played a pick up round of golf with two strangers. After not saying much for the first few holes we finally started small talk. I asked one what he does for a living and he said that he was a carpenter. I told him that I could never do that for a living for fear of cutting off my fingers with power tools. He didn't say anything but pulled off his golf glove to reveal some missing digits. We didn't speak for the rest of the round as far as I recall. The further irony is that I have enough power tools to build a house. Still have all of my digits though. And, btw, I am a thumb and finger picker. Can't really use a pick effectively.
    LOL! I guess it's not out of place to tell you to never ask a woman when she's due to have the baby, unless she tells you that she is pregnant.

User Info Menu

Whoa, he's playing my guitar (sans burst)! My feelings of six string inadequacy are assuaged!

I like the the way those rounds ring too. I'm a thumb and fingers guy so I'm going to give them a whirl.

User Info Menu

I've been using a thumb centric approach since beginning exploring jazz guitar, never really liked the sound of a pick against string for myself. Upstrokes are easily achieved with the right angle change versus down strokes. You can generate a remarkable amount of thumb speed by anchoring pinky against pick guard. Lots of tone variations are available shifting position between end of neck and bridge. Lots of possibilities available when you also combine Thumb and Index /Down Up combo on the same string or with string skipping.
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 08-14-2016 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually find it quite useful to practice bop heads with my thumb as I am working on left hand slurring.

User Info Menu

Does anyone make a thumbpick with a felt tip?