The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    1.Put i.m.a on the 3rd string and with the thumb you play the 6th and 1th string while keeping the fingers on their places. Thats what i'm asking the students to do at the 1st lesson and that way they get the right hand right in 20 seconds - each single one of them. But it tends to float away shortly after of course
    2.Put i.m.a on the 1st string and with the thumb you make up&down rasqueado strokes on the rest of the strings. The backward stroke should be stronger and the thumb should go as far as it can. Stretch as much as you can.

I play both the classical and electric guitar with fingers and its not really the same for me. Classical hand is in the air, electric hand keeps the thumb or the fingers at the strings as a support whenever they are free. So different.
    What is 1th string, what is rasqueado?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1st string I mean high E not the bass E, rasqueado is the sound that a gypsy guitarist makes.

User Info Menu

Rasgueado

User Info Menu

I rember rasq.in the scores. Btw, its ok to say rasqueado. I just checked

User Info Menu

In same regions of Spain it could be even OK to say Rasjeado... )))

just common word is Rasgueado...
    I corrected it only to avoid some misreading or misunderstanding

User Info Menu

I remember someone corrected me before like that but years go by... The Internet is full of rasqueado. And even Wikipedia doesn't say that its wrong. Whatever, it was just about an exercise

User Info Menu

Very tasty. I've also gone down the same rabbit hole. I find that it helps
    my phrasing, and I don't have to worry about picks going into my toddler's mouth. Your technique and phrasing sort of reminds me of Kevin Eubanks who you probably realize is a fingerstyle picker. Great job on a tough tune. I see the possibilities.

User Info Menu

LA Brazilian guitarist was Laurindo Almeida, made a recording with MJQ, not bad at all. His trio stuff is very cool. He also started the LA 4 with Ray Brown, Jeff Hamilton and Bud Shank. Probably the first well-known jazz player to use the nylon exclusively.

User Info Menu

I think if you want to do rest strokes with I and M instead of free strokes with P and I ...( even though it sounds good the way you are doing it )...
    you need to lightly rest the base of thumb against the face of the Guitar ( not anchor - it can move or even lift but it is much easier than the treacherous totally floating right hand Segovia/Paco De Lucia thing IMO).
    Try it and see...I have fooled around with this but I am not going to spend 5 or 20 years to see if I can develop it to what I can do with the Pick...

Also it wears the skin away on steel strings but on Nylon no problem.

Of course...the one minor tiny little problem with those Classical Exercise books is...
    1)They don't tell you an easy way to accomplish fluid rest strokes.

2) I have seen Jazzers who play Fingerstyle like the late Great Simon Salz..use the free stroke technique with thumb and index ...but as I said you lose the counterpoint ability that you get with using fingers I and M ...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-14-2016 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    You ever seen Ralph Towner's book on improvisation and classical guitar? It's out of print but it's an amazing work of instructional publication. Pieces, technique for left and right hand. And lots of subtleties of techniques most jazzers don't even think of. His notes on muting strings is worth the whole book alone. Some serious fingerstyle instruction. Mick told me about this book; worth seeking out.

Oh, and happy birthday.

David
    It's out of print, but easily accessible online. If you can't find it and want it, let me know and I'll find a link for you.I'm working with it now.

Larry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    You ever seen Ralph Towner's book on improvisation and classical guitar? It's out of print but it's an amazing work of instructional publication. Pieces, technique for left and right hand. And lots of subtleties of techniques most jazzers don't even think of. His notes on muting strings is worth the whole book alone. Some serious fingerstyle instruction. Mick told me about this book; worth seeking out.

Oh, and happy birthday.

David

David...I'm working with Towner's book now. Do you recommend memorizing his arpeggio patterns? Have any ideas as to how to apply the exercises?