The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

mr. beaumont - thanks for the recommendation. I tried the 'home plate' PRO-330 pic and it's a great pic. Comparable in size to a Dunlop Jazz III but a much softer and fuller tone.

What a difference a pick makes...-picks_-2-jpgWhat a difference a pick makes...-picks_-3-jpg

For a pointy pick I recently tried the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III; great grip in the hand but feels really slick against the strings and to me it sounds fuller and more detailed than the red nylon or the purple Tortex Jazz III. The Ultex Jazz III works great with the sharp point and also with the slick edges the back/corner works really well for a fuller tone.

What a difference a pick makes...-ultexjazziii-11-png

The Ultex Jazz III and Pro-330 are my new favorites.

Note: There is a more expensive PrimeTone version of the Ultex which has 'hand burnished' edges. The PrimeTone has even better grip in the hands and is super slick on the strings (really a joy to play with) but I found the tone to be much brighter and less detailed than the regular Ultex.
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 05-09-2016 at 01:40 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Used the Dunlop 2mm purple for many years, then got into some projects (large band formats) where I was mostly accompaniment and switched to the slightly flexible nylon (the 2mm was great for firm solo tone but tended to sound "clacky" on the strings when playing chords more softly to blend in).

I came to like the flexy nylon picks' dead silent string contact and got used to them, even for soloing. Now I'm back to a couple of trios and need a firmer pick but am finding the old 2mm too unwieldy after getting used to the nylons, so I'm using very ordinary twenty cent heavy .88mm over the counter for the foreseeable future, doing fine.

And I agree; change of picks is a big change in tone, more than the money spent on many other things...

User Info Menu

Yes Pauln...I agree that we have so much choice these days ...and I like the Tortex, Delrin, and Gator Grips because of as you say ' silent contact ' when I pick firmly I get attack ..or I can smooth it out too for almost legato ( but picking notes) because of the smooth release of these pick materials.

But with the old Fender Picks ( celluloid ? ) a lot of my picking would sound scratchy and annoying ( actually it's a little annoying when I overplay...but that's another Topic...).

Some of these modern picks are amazing because I can hit the string at some weird pick angles and it sounds uniform...even across the strings.

One grip I sometimes use I wish the picks were about 3/8" to 1/2 " longer
    but I can't have everything unless I order 10,000 of them lol.

As the picks develop a slight sharpened
    ridge on the edge as they wear...a piece of 320 or 400 sandpaper can be laid flat and restore them for awhile...and also those Nylon with the annoying seam from the mold can be sanded smooooth ..though I don't like the Nylons too much.

Also the Angle is the same across all the strings.. but these new materials are very forgiving and make it easier to get upstrokes and downstrokes to sound the same...wider "sweet spot" wider "margin of error" etc. and much less 'scratchy' than
    Fender Heavys did years ago.
    'Cross Picking' is just Alternate Picking (in Rhythm, slow or fast ) across the strings- not complicated.

This is a great, fun thread and I may try some of these suggestions- I want to be more specific also:

For grip without having to score the picks with a knife:
    D'addario Dura Grip - they are like Tortex but a hair harder and have a very aggressive "Tread" at grip point. They have all different gauges- I like the 1.2mm especially to get the nice attack for swinging without too much extra noise. Some of you will like the 1.5mm - great grip !
    For the Norman Brown- not quite- Benson- but using regular grip -attack sound.

Jordan's Video- every time I hear him I get distracted by how good he sounds on that Guitar ( extremely talented plus an excellent Guitar)- so if he says those picks take him further- absolutely! [ 0 pick noise - beautiful sound- that's him not the Pick I think]
    But do they disappear sometimes like regular picks ?- sometimes you lose Picks- sometimes they wink out of existence completely !
    I think for $35 they should have a Tracking Beacon you can use to find them with your Android or Iphone.

Oh yeah Picks- the Gator Grips 1.5mm seem really rubbery have a nice attack or non attack like EJ if I pick softly and they are super low pick noise.

I am definitely going to try some of the others mentioned here too...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-15-2016 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't do right with anything other than the Dunlop 2mm purple pick. Anything thinner sounds too tinny and the 3 mm ones just don't feel right. One thing I do is I sand off the mold line at the edge of the pick and then polish the pick to a high shine. That way the string doesn't get caught on that little rough edge of excess plastic you get when the mold doesn't close all the way.

User Info Menu

I honestly feel like everything is contingent upon what instrument I am playing on. Frankly I like the BlueChip series picks because they last, but that doesnt mean after an extensive amount of playing, they will play like new, they wont (the one i have had for a year now with lots of playing has very small almost micro chips in it). One pick will sound differently based on the guitar, strings, etc.. I use a few different ones, each has its place in the lot, and works to my specs more than the rest. I really like the BC for bluegrass, though I don't play bluegrass anymore, I will pull out the bluechip for partitas and sonatas on nearly all instruments. There is something to be said for cross picking and similarity to tone of fingernails for playing with them.

Edit: I just also thought about your picking angle, and activity with right hand in general. I would think that plays a huge part in it.

User Info Menu

The differences in tone between different picks is really significant. A trick someone told me a long time ago (it might have been Jim Soloway - ?) is drop the picks on a table and listen to the difference there. Some hit with a deep "thud" and some sound like glass - this usually translates to string tone.

However, one thing I find annoying is a lot of picks that feel good produce a plastic-y chirp against the strings which gets annoying real fast. I have a couple of gravity picks that facilitate fast legato picking but have that extra artifact where I'm conscious of the pick sound, rather than the string sound.

Experimenting with different pick shapes, weights and materials is a lot of fun and much less expensive than buying a bunch of pedals!

User Info Menu

For every day use, I've switched from Dunlop Tortex (1mm/standard shape) to Dunlop 1 mm Ultex. I strike the strings with the pick at a pretty good angle (not parallel to the strings), and that seems to be pretty rough on a pick. I could never use a real tortoise shell pick because they developed rough edges so quickly.

If I'm playing a gig or recording something, I'm sold on Blue Chips; TD 40, but I just ordered a TD 45 (1.15 mm). They don't seem to show any wear, and seem to have a higher coefficient of friction - they don't slip around in your fingers. My only complaint is the color - if you misplace one, it's hard to find. I think everything should be the color of a Dewalt cordless drill - bright yellow. Probably part of aging...

User Info Menu

Black Jazz IIIs for me. I've used them for many years, having been through various kinds in the years before. I did change to Ultex Jazz IIIs for a bit in recent years, and not long after started hating my sound. Being a bit of a moron, it didn't occur to me that it could be because I'd changed my pick, so I spent ages trying to dial the brightness back out. Finally one day I was just messing about practising and decided to grab one of my old black Jazz IIIs, and subsequently spent probably the next hour both laughing and swearing at myself for being so thick. And then had to fix my sound again, because I'd completely mangled it trying to accommodate the Ultex.

I also tried those Max Grip Jazz IIIs very briefly, but aside from being uncomfortable to hold, they also revealed to me the fact that I actually constantly shift the pick around in my fingers as I play. Not being able to do that was suddenly a problem, so they were no good. Similarly, they also made it really hard to quickly slip the pick into my index finger to switch to finger picking, which is another reason I like Jazz IIIs; they fit perfectly in there, allowing full use of all my fingers, and then in a split second I can slip the pick back out again. I'm so used to it after so many years that I can't get comfortable finger picking unless I have a pick tucked away in my index finger.

I have some white Tortex pointy jazz picks around, but the size is slightly different (for the finger picking thing), and I'm not much a fan of picks without a bevelled edge.

User Info Menu

A few years ago I experimented with about 6 different picks.

I like the Dunlop Eric Johnson picks which I believe are basically a Jazz III because I play best with them but they are just a little bright, not plinky, maybe a little plasticey? If that's a word.

I like the fact that it's stiff, has a sharp point, and is easy to grip and hold in place. They also last a long time. I don't like having my pick move around(I have dry skin) so I need a good surface grip. I use the Dunlop EC hard pick but play with a soft touch.

So to ad to the confusion I like the mellow sound of the Planet Waves Black Ice 1.10mm (could be slightly brighter) but I don't pick as accurately with it and don't want to sand the point.

For those that have tried umpteen picks. Is there a amalgamated pick that has the sharp pick end like the Dunlop EC pick with a slightly mellow tone to it ???

User Info Menu

Seems to me that a sharp end will not translate into a mellow sound. I sand the sharp points off my DAVA pickes, but very carefully, so I won't lose too much length. I like these on the nylon strings, they have a rubber coating for grip, quite nice.

User Info Menu

I thought that I had finally settled on the Dunlop Jazztone 208 (2mm) pick as the best all-rounder but while messing around with some tunes using my Epi JP, I happened upon a Golden Gate pick that I had left in the case. Started playing with it and loved it; now it's the no. 1 choice, for the moment at least. Easy to hold, warm sound, plays fast as the edges are rounded off. It's helped me to play cleaner and faster. OK, so it's not as loud as some others, as it gives a slightly softer sound; but as a result, it's never harsh and stops my sound from being over bright. I can always turn up the amp........

User Info Menu

I could be wrong but I'm thinking that any number of picks ALL with the same, or nearly the same, shape may sound different simply because of the material they are made from.

So if someone made a pick like the Dunlop EJ or Jazz III from a different material I may get a slightly different sound that's not as edgy.

User Info Menu

I used to use the Fender Medium then Heavy's exclusively.

I've tried other picks. Heavier weights 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, but have pretty much settled on Dunlop Nylon .88 mm. I like that little bit of flex, the grip is good and the picks don't crack.

User Info Menu

@ Naquat- IF you could get that shape in different materials and thicknesses - sometimes thicker picks are smoother sounding[* because the rounder edges roll of the string easier] but not all materials come pointy.
    You might try the Gator Grips 1.5 mm and slightly sharpen the tip to almost the shape you like ...it is a *smooth attack until you pick hard.

Might work for you as they realease softly.

*But everyone' s pick Geometry is a little different so hard to say for sure.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-25-2016 at 11:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been using the Wegen Fatone picks for the last 5+ years now. I like the way they glide off the strings, ie. the pick doesn't 'catch' in between the strings. I find I can play faster and cleaner with these picks, and I have better control over dynamics. They're great for getting maximum volume out of acoustic archtops and gypsy guitars too.

User Info Menu

My pick choice varies with style and guitar both.

On electric, if I'm playing rock/heavy rock/blues, I go with a Dunlop Tortex .88 -- the green ones, for the math-abhorrent -- or the same guage in Ultex, which is becoming my favorite. If I'm playing jazz on electric, I go with a Dunlop .73 or .88 nylon pick.

On acoustic 6-string, it's almost always a Dunlop .88 nylon, but occasionally a .73 Tortex or Ultex if I'm digging into blues and want more attack.

On acoustic 12-string, a Fender Thin or .60 nylon, to get the flop slapping all those strings around.

I'm big on buying weird picks so long as they're not too expensive. It's a great way to change and challenge your touch on the instrument.

User Info Menu

We got to do with the edge of the picks or plectra like the classical guitar cats do with their nails: file them and micromesh them to a glassy smooth surface.

Another thing classical cats do is wipe their playing hand fingertips on their forehead before playing. Facial grease is the magic touch.

User Info Menu

I have found that pick shaping for each of my instruments is crucial in achieving the best tone for my taste. Since I play classical as well, nail filing and polishing is a prerequisite to tone - so why not apply that concept to the pick.

I use a combination of tortoise shell and thick D'Aquisto jazz pics. I start out by shaping a radius , approx 3/16, then I try it out. If I'm looking for a darker tone I increase the radius- brighter tone smaller radius .
    Once the shape is decided, I then take a series ( medium, fine, extra fine - polishing ) of rubber backed nail files and form a symmetrical radius around the perimeter of the shape that I just filed. My last file is a burnishing file no3. When completed the perimeter edges are like a mirror - and the tone is remarkable . These pics then reside with each guitar.

Additionally,I periodically take the no 3 burnishing file and polish the same mirror finish on my frets. Since its rubber backed it merely follows the fret crown.

You will be amazed at the difference in tone !

I can't use anything thinner than 2mm on either electric or acoustic guitar. Other than that I don't care who makes them. I usually find them laying on the stage leftover from being dropped and lost by the guitarist in the band that played the venue previously.

User Info Menu

I have all sorts of picks, all shapes and sized, different materials, including bone, horn, ebony, maple, lots of different plastics. I tend to use different picks with different guitars. Picks are the cheapest, quickest, easiest way of changing tone, and they can change the tone a lot. I keep trying new picks, because they're cheap enough to experiment with. It's not like buying new pickups, or even a new guitar. If you don't like one, it's not like you invested a year's salary in it. I recently found some John Petrucci picks that I like a lot. I don't even know who he is, but I like his picks. A standard Fender heavy is something I always keep handy. Most of the picks I have made from exotic materials were a waste of money, but ebony does make a decent pick. I've made quite a few picks from CDs, and they're ok, but too thick for my taste, although I really liked really thick picks once upon a time. Now I find that thick picks make fast playing more difficult, because I have to move the pick further. I think the bottom line is that everyone has a different preference, and that's why there are so many different picks available.

User Info Menu

After years of using Jazz III, a certain thread about how picks can have an affect on the thunk made me switch back to Jim Dunlop Nylon 73mm.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I tried different shapes: my favourite one is the standard shape (351).
    I tried different materials: my favourite one is celluloid.
    I tried different thickness: my favourite one is between .8 and 2.5 mm.
    I tried different prices: my favourites are the cheap ones.
    I tried different colours: my favourite one is faux tortoise shell.
    I have no problem with "grip".

Here is the pick I'm using for now:

What a difference a pick makes...-fender-heavy-resized-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes a different pick can sometimes dramatically change your sound but I've found it's dependent on each guitar. I have a carved top that I just won't use anything but a pro plec with, but the same D'Andrea with my Les Paul seems to be just a hair less articulate than I'm happy with. I just got some Dunlop jazz3 prime tones and they are great.

User Info Menu

I absolutely agree that different guitars (and amps) require different picks. Or even a different room. That's why I don't throw picks away, even those I don't use. I might need them someday.

User Info Menu

I like experimenting with different picks as well. Right now, these are my "go-to" picks.

John Pearse Bone Dimple and Sarod
    John Pearse Ebony Dimple and Sarod
    John Pearse Fast Turtle
    Hense Happy Turtle (probably my favorite pick at the moment)
    Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0
    Fred Kelly Slick Pick Thumbpick

I don't play anything lighter than 2.0mm if I can help it. Except for the thumbpicks.

The John Pearse Bone pick is quite bright sounding with the Hense being the darkest/most mellow of the bunch.

I go through spurts, but I usually carry all of these with me, so when the mood hits to play with one..... I have it!!!

What a difference a pick makes...-guitarpicks-jpg