The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Just the fact that I seem to find the pick has travelled somewhat between thumb and index finger in spite of a moderate/appropriate grip when playing say arpeggio passages or strings of 1/8th notes at circa 200bpm. Anyone else experience this? I use D'Andrea Pro Plecs 1.5mm. Just curious.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Just the fact that I seem to find the pick has travelled somewhat between thumb and index finger in spite of a moderate/appropriate grip when playing say arpeggio passages or strings of 1/8th notes at circa 200bpm. Anyone else experience this? I use D'Andrea Pro Plecs 1.5mm. Just curious.

I know this seems completely counterintuitive, but I find when people are loosing their grip on the pick, it's when they are gripping too hard.

i know, I know, it sounds crazy, but give it a shot. Nice loose comfortable grip.

of course that could come from the tight grip causing extra unnecessary tension in other parts of the picking "mechanism", resulting in the pick shifting.

User Info Menu

Speaking of creepy, I have this weird habit of licking my pick to improve the grip. I do it without thinking about it. It really works, though I admit it's kind of silly.

User Info Menu

Funny you should bring this up.

I find that the main culprit for me of "pick creep" is when I am going crossing two strings or so. I lighten my grip to "reach" with the picks tip and if I don't catch the string with the right pick tip depth, it can dislodge.

I also do it sometimes when "inside picking" between two adjacent strings.

User Info Menu

Thanks to you all. What a relief, I am clearly not alone. Funnily enough I do recall wetting it accidentally once and noted the effect but never thought of doing it routinely. The smallest things. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

A couple of years ago I switched from the Fender shaped Pro Plec to the small teardrop shape and that problem stopped. The pick is small enough that my thumb is over the top edge which seems to keep it from moving. The other pick I use when I want a slightly brighter sound is the Jazz III Ultex from Dunlop which is similarly sized and has raised lettering which provides some extra grip.

User Info Menu

Are you sure the pick is what's moving, because for me it's more a matter of my thumb slipping. That is, the pick stays just where it started on my index finger, but my thumb slides across the top of the pick. I like to hold the pick down rather towards the tip of my thumb. I've been thinking of trying a small piece of double sided tape on just the thumb side of my pick.

User Info Menu

This may or may not apply to your situation but here goes. I used to have some problems with my pick moving around a little. I tried a lot of different things. Don't know why this took me so long to realize but one day I noticed that it only seemed to slide around for about the first 10 or 15 minutes. (I use delrin type picks) For some reason I decided to try licking my thumb and fore finger. Strange as it may seem, that helps me quite a bit. I do it a few times in the first 10 -15 minutes-evidently til my fingers start sweating a bit and it pretty much goes away. If your pick slides around all night this probably won't help you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    ... but my thumb slides across the top of the pick ...
    If I understood this correctly, pick ends under the 1st joint of the thumb? It happens to me, too, all according to observations and comments in previous posts, above.
    Couple of things I've noticed about that involuntary grip, pick being covered by the 1st joint of the thumb:
    - Once pick is there, it does not move any further.
    - It is actually very comfortable and relaxing way to hold the pick
    - Jake Reichbart, whom we mostly know by his solo guitar arrangements, does hold the pick that way when he plays solo lines in band situation and his line playing is at the same level as his solo guitar arrangements are. That is TOP! quality.

Do I have to add, I consider trying it out for a tune or two, one of these days, in the next couple of years latest, just to see if I can get my hands in sync that way?

User Info Menu

The problem is that picking is less precise the farther down the thumb you go. Also the "arch of movement", the range that you can sweep moving from your wrist, keeping your arm still, is shortened and I find I have less control and range of dynamics. I tend to really choke up on the pick leaving a very small amount of pick left sticking out, if I let my nails grow 3mm out they'll brush the strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    A couple of years ago I switched from the Fender shaped Pro Plec to the small teardrop shape and that problem stopped. The pick is small enough that my thumb is over the top edge which seems to keep it from moving. The other pick I use when I want a slightly brighter sound is the Jazz III Ultex from Dunlop which is similarly sized and has raised lettering which provides some extra grip.
    Thanks for that Cunamara. By smaller teardrop shape si that in the same series/material and 1.5mm? The only smaller one I am aware of is sort of square and with a 45deg point ( Pro Plec ). Thanks.

User Info Menu

try the gravity or v-picks (more so gravity) ...a kind of built in stickiness to them...

User Info Menu

I also like V-picks and Gravity picks with or without holes; they have a tendency to stay put when warmed up a bit. A less expensive pick that has a sand grip is the Cool Juratex jazz pick. I've found that any of these picks stay put, but YMMV.

User Info Menu

Try these. It works for me. I know a few others here that have tried it and it has worked for therm.
    https://www.monstergrips.com/

User Info Menu

Hello,
    You can try Dugain picks. They can't physically fall or move in your hand... Also, they can't give you musical ideas But having a good grip is the basis for a good technique...

User Info Menu

The best way I know to not worry about holding the pick is to teach your fingers how to manage it totally on their own.

This is actually very easy; watch TV or a movie while playing minimally on your guitar and flip the pick over every minute or so for an hour or so. That will serve as "boot camp" for pick flipping. Then you just add one teeny tiny additional thing to your practice sessions, which is that about every minute or so simply flip the pick over. If practicing songs, at first you should do this between songs, then between sections, then between phrases...

Every time you flip the pick your fingers have to re-establish their grip and orientation, etc., and they will get really good at this. Eventually they will do this effortlessly and flawlessly in about a quarter second. Once they do this naturally the "feel of confidence" will allow you to forget about it and let the fingers manage it independently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Speaking of creepy, I have this weird habit of licking my pick to improve the grip. I do it without thinking about it. It really works, though I admit it's kind of silly.
    John Stowell does this.

User Info Menu

Remind me not to borrow a pick from you!��

User Info Menu

a moderate/appropriate grip

there's your problem right there

the Death Grip never fails

User Info Menu

Works, but I found the saliva was irritating the skin on my finger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Works, but I found the saliva was irritating the skin on my finger.
    one time I tried this trick drinking bourbon on the rocks hoping it would serve as a sort of anti-bacterial antiseptic

its worked ok, but I got liquored up and dropped my guitar

User Info Menu

Not silly at all! I don't lick the pick though (ewwww ) but rather the two gripping fingers, and dry them off on my pants. If the pick for some reason feels a bit oily, I'll rub it with my licked fingers and do the routine once more Works very well.